Exchange Logs

Thread: Exchange Logs

Lightbulb Exchange Logs

I have inherited an Exchange Server and the c: drive keeps running out of diskspace due to the log files in c:\exch\imcdata\logs Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how I can resolve this. I am going to run the Exchange optimiser as well, but, being a self taught techie, I was wondering if there was anything I have missed.

There should be a setting on how long to keep logs. We retain 1 week of logs on our mail server, and we have 1 month of backup, so if needed, we could go back 5 weeks on the logs. I can't remember the setting right off.

Those log files are not log files like you think. They are unposted messages to the mail database.You can temporarily fix space problems by doing eseutil /d /ispriv then eseutil /d /ispub and then eseutil /d /ds.You must stop Exchange server by stopping the exchange system attendant before doing this. This will defrag the databases and free up empty space in the databases. Between each execution of eseutil there is a text file created or appended to called dfrginfo you can look at to see what was done. Mind you this can not be done if there is insufficient space on the disk to do the temporary files necessary.If a large number of people are leaving messages on the server (using outlook in corporate workgroup mode) then that could be a hassle as far as space is concerned.Also look for people no longer using mailboxes that still contain mail and delete them. You can either get a bigger hard drive or delete some mail to fix this.
    I know so much less than I did when I was 4!

Run the optimizer and move the logs to a drive with more space.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

If you backup your Exchange Server the log files will be written to the database and you will regain your free space. You should have your Exchange logs on a seperate partition!
    Consume.....It will make you feel whole again.....