[RESOLVED] dual boot 98/nt4 on IDE/SCSI drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] dual boot 98/nt4 on IDE/SCSI drive

XSLaYeR

dual boot 98/nt4 on IDE/SCSI drive

I have 98 currently installed on my 10 gig IDE HDD (fat 32). Is it possible to install NT on my 4 gig SCSI drive and dual boot between 98 and NT? If i format the SCSI drive with NTFS, will it work? I have the option to boot from SCSI device in my BIOS (Asus P2B-D).

hcbph
    I don't think this will work as stated. Whatever the system finds as the 'first' partition must be either Fat16 or NTFS for the files NT requires to load. If your first partition was Fat16, then I don't know of a reason it would not work. You could check out a product like System Commander, I have heard of people using it to mask various partitions in somewhat similar situations or Partition Magic to change format of C to Fat 16 then go from there. One other thought might be to remove the IDE drive, setup NT on the SCSI then copy the boot files (and edit the boot.ini file) to a floppy, put back your ide drive and use the floppy to boot NT to the SCSI. I think it should work. Good Luck

Chip
    You will need to have a fat16 or ntfs as your primary boot. You can then edit the boot.ini file you will see a operating system section with a few lines like multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1). if you add another line in stating the area and disk where 98 is installed you should be able to have a dual boot dual disk start up.