A Different Logon Script Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Different Logon Script Question

Post A Different Logon Script Question

i was wondering if there is a way to prevent a logon script from running. i map my drives differently from other people, for my job, but everytime i login all of the mapped drives are cleared and then added. so, i created this little batch file to add the drives I need, but this is still a real pain. Can I prevent the logon script from running so I can keep my drives from session to session? Thanks.
    A wise man knows his limitations, a really smart one overcomes them.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

If you already have a batch file, why not put that into your startup folder? Or give the batch file to your network administrator and explain that you'd be eternally grateful if he made that your login script instead of the standard one. Or put a checkmark in the 'Reconnect at logon' box when you map the drive.

I don't believe there's any way to prevent the login script from running. Your admin would have to disable it, and if he were willing to do that he'd probably be willing to replace it with yours.

If you don't use the same PC all the time, I think a chat with your admin is the best way to go. Bribe him with mountain dew and girl scout cookies.
    WWBRD?

that's part of the problem, the profiles aren't allowed to change. i could try to put my batch file in the startup folder or in the registry, but when you log back on all of that is reset to "The Standard" as i've been told. anyway, these people suck, so rigid and have no idea how to fix anything. their answer to any problem is to re-image or replace your machine with no concern for info you have stored on your c: drive. i need a new job.

It's the same way where I work, and to be honest with you, I wouldn't have it any other way. Why should I spend half a day trying to fix a user created problem when you can reimage the entire PC in 15 minutes?

If you have a valid work related reason for mapping alternate drives, there shouldn't be any problem convincing your admin to set it up for you. It only takes 5 minutes to change a person's logon script.
    WWBRD?

yeah, it may be a wonderful thing for the IT people, but those of us on the business side who know more than the average business person gets screwed. for example, we have these arbitrary mailbox quotas, which force me to archive my mail about once a month. however, since we cannot save any thing permanently to our local drives we have to put everything on our network drives. not surprisingly, these drives fill up very quickly, but IT does not increase disk space. i need to keep 7 years of back records for SEC purposes, so what alternative do I have but to break NT security and save stuff to my HD locally, and make CD backups every month or so? this is a prime example of a service driving business when it should be the other way around.

i like to use a cafeteria example . . . if you went to get a sandwich and you asked for turkey and all they wanted to give you was tuna salad. you're paying for it, right? if you want turkey you should get turkey. the managing director of building services, a completely unrelated group to food services, comes and tells you that it is against policy to serve anything but tuna salad regardless of what you are willing to pay for. he doesn't know what your dietary needs are, you could be allergic to the olive oil they use in the mayo, or tuna fish makes your stomach turn. they are just trying save time. why should they spend 10 minutes making you a special sandwich when they could just force you to eat tuna? by your reasoning, this makes sense. to me it is just stupid.

From your perspective it looks bleak, but try to remember that you probably don't have all of the facts. Perhaps part of the reason why you have disk quotas is because budget constraints wont permit a preponderance of disk space. Additionally, most of the people you are dealing with are probably under qualified help desk support personnel. They are that way because the budget wont allow for salary ranges that are appealing to over qualified bench techs. The senior network team came up with the PC image policy in an effort to streamline support costs, and to make things easier for their under qualified staff.

What you need to do is plead your case, if in fact it is a Gestapo regime, and not a lack of available disk space, there is someone in your company from the business side that can get you authorization for the additional disk space. If you require seven years of records, provide justification, and the IT department will be directed by upper management.

However if all of the whining in the world has already been done, a new job may be the only release to your sanity.

yeah, it is freaky. we have tried this, because it is not just me, but the department as a whole. the call came down that no changes would be made to the policy. i've never been in a company where the IT department dictates policies to the business units. we are paying for their services, but we definitely aren't getting what we paid for.

[quote]Originally posted by Kaipora:
    <strong>we are paying for their services, but we definitely aren't getting what we paid for.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ahh...but just how much are you paying them?

<strong>yeah, it may be a wonderful thing for the IT people, but those of us on the business side who know more than the average business person gets screwed. for example, we have these arbitrary mailbox quotas, which force me to archive my mail about once a month. however, since we cannot save any thing permanently to our local drives we have to put everything on our network drives. not surprisingly, these drives fill up very quickly, but IT does not increase disk space. i need to keep 7 years of back records for SEC purposes, so what alternative do I have but to break NT security and save stuff to my HD locally, and make CD backups every month or so? this is a prime example of a service driving business when it should be the other way around.

i like to use a cafeteria example . . . if you went to get a sandwich and you asked for turkey and all they wanted to give you was tuna salad. you're paying for it, right? if you want turkey you should get turkey. the managing director of building services, a completely unrelated group to food services, comes and tells you that it is against policy to serve anything but tuna salad regardless of what you are willing to pay for. he doesn't know what your dietary needs are, you could be allergic to the olive oil they use in the mayo, or tuna fish makes your stomach turn. they are just trying save time. why should they spend 10 minutes making you a special sandwich when they could just force you to eat tuna? by your reasoning, this makes sense. to me it is just stupid.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Computers are slightly more complicated than making sandwiches. How arbitrary would those mailbox quotas be when your email server runs out of disk space and crashes? It took us 4 months to get $500 approved for more disk space, and in that time the server would crash about twice a week. When the server crashes, the entire company loses email capability, and everyone thinks the IT guys must be stupid and don't know what they're doing, right?

You might want to keep your theory about business driving service to yourself, if I were in your IT dept and you shared that with me, I would write you off as an arrogant prick and I would do nothing beyond the requirements of my job to assist you. I like to use the "automotive example".

If you took your car somewhere for repairs, and it came back worse than when you took it in, would you then go to an online mechanics forum, rant and rave about how mechanics suck and don't know what they're doing, and then expect those mechanics to help you out? To me that would be stupid.
    WWBRD?

do what we did when we wanted the users to buy more capacity - send round a mail to everyone apologising for the messy service, but it's only temporary until resources are found to increase capacity. The users will start slagging off the people that do the purchasing then, not the techs.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

automotive examples are fine, but at least use the right one. you take your car in for repairs, the mechanic looks at it and says, "It is against policy for me to replace your flat tire, but you can drive on the donut almost as well as the full sized tire. i know it will degrade the performance and handling on your car, but you don't have a choice, it is policy. now pay me."

now, imarolan i don't think i said that anyone sucks. if that is what you are reading into my statements, then you may have some problems that require professional services and a prescription. i was simply asking for a way that i could worm out from underneath some oppressive IT policy. i understand the computer/IT side of things, but most IT people never see the business side, which is just as complex and demanding.

I guess you really wanted to get your point across.
    ...point across.
    ...point across.
    ...point across.

Realize that you are now observed as a (L)user that complains. Or as imarolan put it, "an arrogant prick". If I were you I would just let this battle go, and hope that everyone has forgotten about it the next time you have a question.

ummmm, yeah. it is so funny how things work. if some IT person complains about the way a business unit expects their computers to be run, everyone is cool with it. The moment the shoe is on the other foot, people are (l)users and pricks. it is nice to know that prejudices extend to company roles as well. it is not surprising that most people think so poorly of their IT departments.

<strong>ummmm, yeah. it is so funny how things work. if some IT person complains about the way a business unit expects their computers to be run, everyone is cool with it. The moment the shoe is on the other foot, people are (l)users and pricks. it is nice to know that prejudices extend to company roles as well. it is not surprising that most people think so poorly of their IT departments.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Find a new forum dick cheese.

i guess it took you a while to come up with that. that technical school education must really be paying off for you.