[RESOLVED] OK, I give up.........

Thread: [RESOLVED] OK, I give up.........

Resolved [RESOLVED] OK, I give up.........

Here's a good one for ya.....

I have a 233MMX system running NT SP6. I recently changed it from token-ring to ethernet. No problems with the switchover. I added the new card, then deleted the old card, and changed the IP address back to what it used to be. I have Plug&Pray enabled on the server. NT re-discovers the network card ( SMC 8216T ) every time I boot the system. The system, network connection and all peripherals are operating correctly. There are no conflicts that I can find, and Event Viewer shows no errors. If I change Plug&Pray to manual startup, it stops discovering the card. Of course, then I can't reconfigure the system unless I turn the P&P service back on....
    How do you stop NT from discovering the same card on every startup?

how about if you just turn of PnP, and install the drivers for the NIC.
    A+ MCSE CCNA

Unhappy

If this was a Win9x machine I would say, go into your Device Manager and make sure that the other card was unloaded. In those types of machine you can even check it under normal mode and you won't see it, but as soon as you move into "Safe Mode" and check the Device Manager you will see tons of leftover junk (including the old network card).
    That is the answer for Win9x. I am too new with NT to know exactly how to do what I mentioned above, but it sounds like a similar answer is needed here.

I agree with jmlozan.
    You must add the adapter through the networking interface in the control panel. Just goto the adapter page and click add, have the driver disk handy and use it. NT will tell you if it can't find the adapter. If that don't work use a different card.
    To each his/her own.

NT detects something???

Never seen that before.

SJ
    SJ
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Its hard for a computer to make up for lack of user intelligence!!!

exactly SJ, NT isn't meant to be PnP.
    A+ MCSE CCNA