[RESOLVED] Dual Boot after NT is installed

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dual Boot after NT is installed

Zwind

Resolved [RESOLVED] Dual Boot after NT is installed

I have NT 4.0 with service pack 5 installed on my hard drive which has 3 partitions. C: and G: are NTFS and H: is FAT16. I would like to install Windows 98 on the FAT16 partition; I know that I won't be able to see the other two partions, nor do I care. I've searched the Microsoft data base and all I can find pertains to a dual boot if there is only 1 partition and it is formatted FAT16. Will I have to repair NT after I install 98 even though it's on a different partition? Please help, thanks

Rigga

When You want to Dual Boot Nt and 98 or 95 you should use a FAT 16 Partition as your Primary Active Partion. The NT boot Files should be on this partition. Nt Should also be installed first with 98 or 95 after. As 98 or 95 will make additions to the Boot.ini file, Pointing to their System Files. Im pretty sure about this. Although it has been a few months since i have done this.

------------------
    Later,

Chad D. Nelson
    MCSE, ASE, ACT

First off you need 2 partitions.
    Install win98 FIRST on drive c:
    and NT on drive D:

to answer your question I'm sorry but I can't help you. I'd just format and get it over with.

Either way you do it, your primary partition (drive c) must be FAT16 for the dual-boot setup to work.

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Service Manager
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    www.altoplanos.net

[This message has been edited by stevet (edited January 21, 2000).]
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Smile

As indicated by the others fat 16 must be used on first partition (pref all at first)
    install WIN 98 first ,then NT on second partition, when you restart you will get
    dual boot menu.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

you could try to use the lastest ver of partion magic and change the c drive to fat 16 that may save the reformat thing
    Originally posted by Zwind:
    I have NT 4.0 with service pack 5 installed on my hard drive which has 3 partitions. C: and G: are NTFS and H: is FAT16. I would like to install Windows 98 on the FAT16 partition; I know that I won't be able to see the other two partions, nor do I care. I've searched the Microsoft data base and all I can find pertains to a dual boot if there is only 1 partition and it is formatted FAT16. Will I have to repair NT after I install 98 even though it's on a different partition? Please help, thanks

Fdisk the whole drive, and create a FAT16 primary partition. Make it active, reboot, format with a Win98 boot disk, and install 98. After 98 is installed, boot to your NT setup however you like, and while in the setup program, create a new NTFS partition in the unused space. When everything is all said and done, you'll have the NT Boot Menu all setup and ready to go with both NT4 and 98. After that, you can partition the rest of the space in FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS...you know which OS can't read what. Or you can get some of those nifty Winternals programs that allow NT to read FAT32 or 98 to read NTFS...use them both and no problems yet!

ZeroInterruppt

Actually there's a pretty kool app out there called Ranish Partition Manager. Using it I have 95, 98, and NT and 2000 all on a multiple boot system. it's a kool app and shareware you might try using that to ease a couple of yer headaches