[RESOLVED] please help...

Thread: [RESOLVED] please help...

rald

Resolved [RESOLVED] please help...

ok, i know i've overlooked something but i have no idea what. i installed windows 2000 advanced server on
    one computer and win98 se on another. i did the basic domain setup and added a user. but when i tried to
    logon from my win98se comp, it gave me a 'no domain server was found to validate your password' error. i
    also copied the 'Administrator' account and made a Admin1 and tried to logon as that. no success. also, its
    not because of a network hardware problem b/c before i did a clean install of win2k, i had win98 on it and
    had a win98 network already running. please help me. thanks

Indigo

you are sure you setup win2k as a domain controller? active dir and all? if so make sure you have your win98 box set to log into the domain.. and make sure you have the name right? if you dont have a domain name then you might have set it to local.domain? or something? on the win2k box press and hold windows key then hit pause/break.. and check your network settings to see what the computer name is. dont forget the obvious stuff..(check cable, power on switch, make sure the little green lights are on..)

rald

hmmmm, i don't think i did anything with the name of the domain server (i used default, SERVER1 or something) on my win98 comp. should i put it in somewhere? i have it set to log into the domain, but what has me confused is that in active dir on win2k, there's some stuff about pre-win2k machines having to use diff. domains and user names. whats with that? thanks

Wink

you need to enable GUEST in Win2K Guest is disabled by default.
    Go to the CONTROL PANEL click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT, click the + next to LOCAL USERS AND GROUP, click on USERS, on the right, right click on GUEST scroll to PROPERTIES then UNCHECK-ACCOUNT IS DISABLED
    (make sure you are log-in as administrator)

------------------
    Techno®
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

rald

thanks everyone. i finally figured out that i needed to change (in TCP/IP properties) from a set IP address to auto. maybe a conflict with my other client? anyone know?