[RESOLVED] need help: Win2k can't start up

Thread: [RESOLVED] need help: Win2k can't start up

Erbium

Resolved [RESOLVED] need help: Win2k can't start up

Okie guys, I booted my computer up one day and the problem just came on. Win2k is the only OS on my system, this is what happens when I boot it up now. BIOS is fine, gets everything right as usual. Then it says that windows 2000 professional is starting up. You know that splash screen where there's this blue coloured bar going to the right. Once that is completed, the comp just plunges me into a state of darkness, and just hangs there. Nothing I do on the keyboard or the mouse does anything at all. Anyone came upon the same problem? My specs are below. I tried reinstalling win2k couple of times, the problem still remained. I ran the repair function on the win2k cd, and its still there. Only thing which I haven't tried yet (but wish to avoid) is reformatting my HD.

Abit KA7-100 mobo
    Athlon 750 processor
    IBM Deskstar 20gb HD
    Micron 128mb PC133 RAM
    Creative Labs TNT2 Graphics Card
    CD-rom and CD-RW drive

Thanks for any replies

Try using the F8 option and booting to the plain vanilla VGA safe mode. I had this problem once when I installed a driver update for my HPT66 HD controller. Once in safe mode I was able to reinstall the previous driver and everything was back to proper functioning. Oh yeah, Mcafee did this to me once too so check the apps you're loading at startup as well.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

MrGuy105

Actually this could be very one BIG problem which could be solved by a eince bince little reg patch. OK - FIRST, on a computer that works in your house. Download the regpatch from this link -
    http://www.geforcefaq.com/files/viaagp4xonw2k.reg

SECOND - Copy it to a floppy. Then start up your computer with win2k on it and will in the first loading bar (dos like screen) press f8 and choose safe mode.
    THIRD - Copy it to hard drive, and double click on it and say yes.
    FOURTH - Reboot and your done. If you want to overclock then dl this reg file -
    http://www.geforcefaq.com/files/coolbitsw2k.reg

Double click on it to install
    AND THERE YOU ARE!

Angry

i had this happen in win 98 everyting boots up fine through bios then just bas the stem is ready to use darkness becomes me finaly after installing widows over the top of the old i managed to get it working however it now works with a realy anoying problem the computer boots in two seperate stages firstit stops at the screen giving you the option to go into normal or safe mode select normal mode works fine?????any answers to this ps i have tried the usual defrag virus etc
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001