[RESOLVED] cant go into cmos. pc wont boot gives a black screen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] cant go into cmos. pc wont boot gives a black screen

Rica

Unhappy cant go into cmos. pc wont boot gives a black screen

I need like to know if someone knows why a pc wont boot. It doesnt show boot info. i cant go into cmos. its start up but just goes into a blank screen.

------------------
    Rick

lycia69

Talking

Check your Video card. Do you hear any beeps? Make sure your Video card is properly seated in the PCI/AGP slot. Take it out and test it in another system or try another video card in yours. If it still does the same thing with different video card, try the ram next. Is the ram properly seated in their slots? Try different ram? If there are two or more dimms, take out all but one and try that. If it doesnt boot with that one ram, try the next one, etc. Be sure to take out all pci cards except the Video card before testing.

Rica

Originally posted by lycia69:
    Check your Video card. Do you hear any beeps? Make sure your Video card is properly seated in the PCI/AGP slot. Take it out and test it in another system or try another video card in yours. If it still does the same thing with different video card, try the ram next. Is the ram properly seated in their slots? Try different ram? If there are two or more dimms, take out all but one and try that. If it doesnt boot with that one ram, try the next one, etc. Be sure to take out all pci cards except the Video card before testing.
    i did all of the above and still nothing. I hear no beeps. I did change the ram. 2 dif video cards. all of pci card are out except video. i change the ram. still nothing. any clue?

------------------
    Rick

condor

Lightbulb

Okay let's get a few things straight.

No need to have anything on a motherboard except a CPU, a PC Speaker and the power chord..

That should give you a post code (beep)

if your PC doesn't give a post code in this stage either the CPU isn't mounted well/dead/wrong settings.. or your BIOS dead or Motherbaord dead..
    or the PSU doesn't give the right currents..

I would suggest Clearing the CMOS by removing the battery and disconnecting from the PSU for a few hours...

check that the cpu is well mounted / try another CPU (or check the CPU on another board..)

It might be a bad PSU as well ...

Hope it helps..

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

phtal

G'Day,

Change your CPU and you'll find that your system will fire up.

Just did the same on 2 systems I have just repaired.

Paul

WEST Computers

Other possibility is that the motherboard is grounding to the case - bad spacer placement or a screw under the board. If nothing else works, remove the board from the case, put a piece of cardboard under it, laying it on to of the case (with the computer, if a tower, on its side) and try booting up that way. If you DO get a bootup, it was the MB grounding. One other possibility - if your CMOS clear jumper set to normal operation? Check your manual for the location of that jumper.

Originally posted by phtal:
    G'Day,

Change your CPU and you'll find that your system will fire up.

Just did the same on 2 systems I have just repaired.

Paul
    You might phrase your responses a little more carefully. Unless you're the original computer psychic, there's no way you have any info from Rica to tell you that there is even a working power supply in this system....

Rica, that's my next question. When you turn on the power to boot your system, do any fans or LED's turn on? It may help us as well if you can give us some specifics such as the Motherboard, CPU, etc. And, if this is a branded name PC like Dell, Compaq, Gateway....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

English Prof

Unhappy

I am getting the same problem with my computer, my second ive had problems with in a row. Well, i have tried an PCI and an AGP card, tried 2 diffrent HDD, no luck. Ive tried both cards in another computer, they work... No beeps, the power starts fine. hmmmm.... any help on this will help alot of people

Alot of things can cause these types of problems , but #1 and #2 are bad motherboard , and bad CPU.
    Life is good...sometimes...

Rica

Sowulo
    to answer your questions....the brand name pc is Micron client pro. the cpu is a pII 400 mobo is SE440BX2. The led light (power and hd led) turn on. Note: when i turn it off it doesnot not turn off quickly. i have to push it for a few seconds then its shuts off. by the way the fans do turn on. I change the Pwr Sup. and still nothing. i changed the cpu and nothing still. i changed the mobo and it seems to be the problem.

but now i have another pc without a mobo. I got this pc up and working (thank to you all) im left w/ another pc (which was missing a hd, floppy drive) anyway. i guess i will just use it for scrap. My question now is Since i dont have test equipment. Is there a way to pinpoint if indeed is the mobo or the bios chip?

Did You try all suggestions (link where) I have mentioned?

Rica

I tried your suggestions and the following seem to be it.

4.3 If You don't hear any sound - You've got
    problem with MoBo (of course,if You're know,what CPU itself is good)

I probably just need to scrap the mobo and get a new one.

thans to everyone. I really appreciate the help

Wessss

Wink

This problem also popped up on a few Compaq systems i had to work on and found out it was a bent pin on the keyboard. If the others don't do it...check it out.

Originally posted by Rica:
    Sowulo
    to answer your questions....the brand name pc is Micron client pro. the cpu is a pII 400 mobo is SE440BX2. The led light (power and hd led) turn on. Note: when i turn it off it doesnot not turn off quickly. i have to push it for a few seconds then its shuts off. by the way the fans do turn on. I change the Pwr Sup. and still nothing. i changed the cpu and nothing still. i changed the mobo and it seems to be the problem.

but now i have another pc without a mobo. I got this pc up and working (thank to you all) im left w/ another pc (which was missing a hd, floppy drive) anyway. i guess i will just use it for scrap. My question now is Since i dont have test equipment. Is there a way to pinpoint if indeed is the mobo or the bios chip?
    You know, the last time I needed to replace a BIOS chip was around 1988 and it cost me about $75 with shipping if I remember (isn't it amazing sometimes the things that stay in our brains...). I have no idea what it would cost today. but I do know you can get a good BX chipset motherboard for $40 to $70 bucks. My local wholesaler always has a bunch of stuff that are factory replacements for parts that were RMA'd. Maybe I should post their website for you. They only sell to resellers...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."