Thread: AMD or INTEL and why?

AMD Athlon, 9 Floating points operations per cycle
    Pentium 4, 6 Floating point operations per cycle
    Now the math!
    AMD 2.2 GHz
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz

AMD = 19.8
    P4 = 19.2

In speed i CAN tell you that AMD is fater than P4 when even the p4 is 1 GHz ahead.......
    HOWEVER
    reliability bla bla bla im not going to go into this stuff!

Micks, most techs have a personal preference... a few have had bad experiences with one or other companies. I can tell you I run both amd and intel and they both perform well.

It's not just about the processor - you must consider the quality of psu, motherboard, ram etc etc.... All components work together and if one is weak, then everything has to work at the ability of the weakest component.

There are many variables to consider when researching a new computer. You need to start with a budget and a list of things it must be able to do.... you then make compromises between quality, budget and minimum specifications until you have something that YOU are happy with.

One person's great computer is another person's complete waste of money.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Micks, most techs have a personal preference... a few have had bad experiences with one or other companies. I can tell you I run both amd and intel and they both perform well.

It's not just about the processor - you must consider the quality of psu, motherboard, ram etc etc.... All components work together and if one is weak, then everything has to work at the ability of the weakest component.

There are many variables to consider when researching a new computer. You need to start with a budget and a list of things it must be able to do.... you then make compromises between quality, budget and minimum specifications until you have something that YOU are happy with.

One person's great computer is another person's complete waste of money.
    ok hearing that. What would you think is a good processor for me..
    i like FAST computers but i HATE HATE HATE crashes and lock ups and i really hate game laggggggggggg! i regularly multi-task
    Last edited by MICKS; August 22nd, 2004 at 05:05 AM.

please start your own thread micks.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    please start your own thread micks.
    my own amd VS intel? or other topic?

Quote Originally Posted by MICKS
    my own amd VS intel? or other topic?
    Please start another with your own considerations mentioned, many folks will look at the original thread starter date (its 3 years old) & just ignore it, also somebody is bound to disagree with something said three years ago without noticing the date ! & then the thread will need lots of 'attention' just to sort out any confus-ed-ness generated by that..

You'll get 'more/better' answers anyway if you post up a shiney new topic & start that in the 'tech to tech' forum - & every comment hopefully will relate to now rather than 3 years ago .

Oh wow, I started reading the first few pages of this topic, and it was messing with me... Then I realized they were posts from 4 years ago!

Sadly, they were running chips then that I'm still using.. 900 Athlon.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    I feel that AMD are the better company hands down, .

Oh, how the tables have turned
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Which is better...AMD or INTEL and why??

Personally, I am an individual that believes strictly in AMD because of the quality and price. It also helps that I am a AMD authorized reseller too.

Reply with opinions!!!!
    hi everyone
    the only thing i can say is
    1 AMD hammer the life out of INTEL

If one is good the other is BAD???

I believe you can get the best from intel or AMD.

salute!

Thumbs down

Well it really seems that it depends on whos benchmark you are looking at. I have been in the business for at 15 years and I dont recommend AMD.. I have seen much more failure rates on AMD then the Intel systems. And in a business use ITS HANDS DOWN INTEL. NO MATTER WHAT ANY ONE SAYS! As a reseller I have a better time getting a RMA from Intel then AMD. And AMD if you dont buy it from them then you cannot get a RMA on it. Know Intel If you go througt the correct procedure anyone can get a RMA on a Intel. ((Much better warranty ))

I have run AMD and Intel processors and I just dont like the AMD. It was great back in the 386 and 486 days but not anymore. And most companies that is running autocad will tell you that you dont put a AMD to do the work. And Autocad Will tell you that its not recommended. As Far a Servers Its Intel or nothing. AMD is trying but it has always been for the person that wants to overclock their machine and play games. Thats about it.

Gary

Cool

As far as the warranty of the Intel vs. AMD argument goes, I will refrain from offering an opinion. It has been an EXTREME rarity to have ever had to RMA a processor that I never considered it a criterion for purchase.

As far as the AutoCAD argument goes...let's just say that I have heard the exact opposite. Perhaps you were thinking of Athlon XP systems rather than Athlon64/Opteron systems? The only mention of what processor to use I could find on AutoDesk's site was from August 2002 that compared P4/Xeon machines against Athlon XP/MP machines. No mention that you shouldn't use AMD. Some of the latest reviews for AutoCAD type sites shows the Athlon64/Opteron machines having a healthy advantage over the P4/Xeons.

As far as the Intel in the server argument goes, for name brand servers (Dell, HP, IBM, etc.) Intel HAS been the choice because there wasn't any awareness for the Athlon MP processors. The Opterons HAVE been noticed and many companies (except for Dell...wonder why...not really) like IBM and HP are starting to offer Opteron-based servers.

I use whatever processor works best in any given situation. More often than not (for what I do) that's been AMD lately. I do find it somewhat ironic that AMD was slammed for having a heat issue (a non-issue as far as I was concerned) with the Athlon XP way back when, but, now that Intel is having problems with heat in the Prescott core processors, it's not that big a deal. Go figure.

Red face

Their is one reason that Intel has not released the 64 bit processor that is because Their is no 64 bit OS out there to take advantage of it. AMD is sell a Hack. Its 32 bit running inside of a 64 bit processor. And call and talk to Autocad tech support sometime. They have always said they prefer Intel over the AMD processors.

I am just like you. I make sure the machine fits the job. And so far all the AMD machine that I have worked with has always had more problems and problems with OS and other software on the market. Its really funny, Try installing Mcafee Enterprise edition on a intel vs a AMD and the AMD takes twice as long to install. That has been the case for over 1000 server networks that I have worked on. Until I can see less problems and better warranty for AMD I fell that you get what you pay for.

If you want it to over clock and games and you dont want to worry about having to pay alot to replace the process when it stops working then go AMD. But if you want something to last a long time then you Want The Intel running at the correct speed that it was build for then it will run for years. Cannot say that for all the parts in the machine but the processor will keep on running and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Which is better...AMD or INTEL and why??

Personally, I am an individual that believes strictly in AMD because of the quality and price. It also helps that I am a AMD authorized reseller too.

Reply with opinions!!!!
    hi raven
    i use AMD because they perform better than intel
    and there is alot of difference in price
    in the early ninties intel promoted there p1 with mmx
    on tv on radio advertised every where and still advertise
    to this day that is the only reason they are so well known
    its like a fashion item you pay for the name
    AMD all the way
    THEONETRULEY UK