AMD or INTEL and why? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD or INTEL and why?

[quote]Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff:
    [QB]Ford or Chevy? Maytag or GE? As others have said already, it's a personal choice. However, being one dude who's been burned big time by AMD, I'll never go back. I've never had a problem with Intel processors...never.QB]<hr></blockquote>

heh, bingo. In my 2+ years of tech work - I've only seen 3 cpus go -= pop =- all of which were AMDs. Now, in case you're wondering, no, the heatsink was on, but the fan failed (yes, right out of a retail box)

Now, you say ok, do that with an intel - heh, accidently, we did...we had rebuilt our 1.4ghz demo machine to a 1.8ghz...and forgot to plug the damn fan in...(wasn't me ). This went on for a 2 WEEKS before we opened it up again and realized it wasn't on....but the thing didn't pop, still runs fine today......thank god....

Anyway, to sum it up, I think its funny how everyone says - oh, intel sucks, they're going out of business, they're losing the market, their projections are way off, blah blah blah. - Guess what, intel hit their earnings DEAD ON even AFTER the price cuts, they still invented the technology and 1 last thing on this lil rant...AMD doesn't make all the stuff intel does (ever seen an AMD switch, hub, NIC etc?)

It really helps when you know someone who helped invent stuff at intel and know a few people who work there...if ya got a question, call 'em up and ask them

Thumbs up

Whoa! I've been quoted. Cool...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm everyone going on about how much the Athlons outperform the P3's & P4's etc, but nobody has mentioned the Tualatin yet which is outperfoming Athlons of Equivalent speed in non-optimised tests on a lot of independant website reviews.

You cannot go by benchmarks posted on the actual manufacturers sites as all chip manufacturers will obviously use the benchmarking software that favours their particular CPU's. If an Athlon was benchmarked using exclusively SSE2 extentions and not 3D Now! then obviously it would not perform as it could do on non-optimised software for obvious reasons.

I am currently running a Athlon Thunderbird, but will be buying a complete new system in the very near future and I am seriously considering a P4 (microPGA version) over the Athlon for future software releases that will make use of SSE2. Unless AMD include SSE2 (not SSE) extentions into the Athlons, I can see the software being optimized for SSE2 and then AMD will be playing catch up again.
    w00t

[quote]Originally posted by JWW:
    <strong>Hmmmmmmmmmmmm everyone going on about how much the Athlons outperform the P3's & P4's etc, but nobody has mentioned the Tualatin yet which is outperfoming Athlons of Equivalent speed in non-optimised tests on a lot of independant website reviews..</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Tualatins are very nice, and probably have a more efficient architecture than the P4s. But, Intel, being so hooked on this false P4 market hype, will cut short the life of Tualatin, as the P3 will exit the desktop arena by year-end. (Notebooks are another story, as mobile p4s won't be available until Q2-2002.)

Intel's only hope is Northwood for the P4. if they can make the P4 better, kudos to them. After that, it's time they price similarly to AMD.

Cool

Which is better Nissan or Toyota??

Both companies produce products that take off and become winners (when Intel released the PII+BX chipset, for example). It comes down to personal preference and money. I would love a Pentium 4/2Gig, but I ain't paying that much for something I would never use fully.

After using an Athlon system for a year now, I would recommend one, as the "bang per buck" is far superior to Intel. However, we always use Intel systems at work and generally have little trouble with them.

Both companies are equally Good (Or Bad, as the case may be), so put me down as a "Don't Know".
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

[quote]Originally posted by Geek #1:
    <strong>Which is better Nissan or Toyota??</strong><hr></blockquote>

My Reliant
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

I've gone from a 350 P2 to a P3 500 then to a P3 800. Just recently I went with an AMD 1.4 and I love it. I have no problems with it. I cannot justify paying out the a$$ for an Intel processor that will not perform as well as the AMD does. I think the myth about intel being more stable is just that, a myth.

[quote]Originally posted by Brian G:
    <strong>I've gone from a 350 P2 to a P3 500 then to a P3 800. Just recently I went with an AMD 1.4 and I love it. I have no problems with it. I cannot justify paying out the a$$ for an Intel processor that will not perform as well as the AMD does. I think the myth about intel being more stable is just that, a myth.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Preach on! Hail to the AMD!

Give me some sugar baby ... whos line was this
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I feel that AMD are the better company hands down, for a variety of reasons

1. They run at fewer clock cycles but more preformance

2. They are cheaper

3. They actually answer questions submitted to their website. (I wrote Intel 3 times to as why the 80186 was called such and never received a reply, I wrote AMD and received a reply within a day)

4. IMHO they don't try to hype themselves as much as Intel.

They do run hotter though which is the only downside.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Another Intel vs AMD debate. Seems like I missed it.

Here goes my opinion.

Intel Advantages:
    Quality
    Reliability
    Compatibility

Intel Disadvantages:
    Price

AMD Advantages:
    Quality
    Price
    Speed

AMD Disadvantages:
    Heat
    Reliability
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

<pre>
    (\\
    .--,\\\__
    `-. a`-.__
    | ') AMD KICKS!
    / \ _.-'-,`;
    / | { /
    ..-"``~"-' ; )
    ;' `
    ;'
    ;'
    , /;'|
    ,;';\ |\ |
    \ &#0124;&#0124; |
    | )| )
    | &#0124;&#0124; |
    | \| \
    `##`##
    </pre>

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

man, just wait for the Cyrix III to come out.
    then we'll have a serious cpu on our hands.

Cyrix - Born to Run Baby!!
    take care and tempt not the fates

Since this thread I have looked around for as much information that I could find on both chipmakers. I researched mostly news articles, and basic benchmark statements and drew this conclusion: In essence, the P4 is on a different plane than the Athlon, producing greater numbers on the mhz scale. Now, the P4 may pump out more cycles, but it cannot process as many instructions per cycle as the slower Athlon. As we all know, it is not just the instructions per clock, or the cycles per second, but a combination of both---coupled with accuracy, that will determine the final winner for this season. And of course, price will play a noteworthy part.

When comparing the 2ghz P4 to the 1.4ghz Athlon the two are very close. But the race is far from an end. Here is where the debate should get more interesting, with the new hyper pipelined technology, Intel will continue to excel in mhz, where the Atholon may soon be held back if the technology won’t comply. Will AMD find a new way around this ensuing brick “wall”, or will their current technology maintain into the future? Also, will Intel force the issue with their more controversial technology, the noticeably longer Hyper-pipeline, or are they looking for a new miracle to eliminate the “wall” as well?

I say good luck to both. Because of their efforts, we have always had systems more powerful than the software we install. I expect that in the next 10 years something will revolutionize. As with the splitting of the atom, we will stumble into a new technology that will make these debates over 1 and 2 Gigahertz pale in comparison!

I enjoyed all of the reading.

I know there working on the BIO CHIP, using human dna into CPU's. Since dna cells can calculate faster than anything we can make.

Wounder how long this will take and if later the compuetr will start running us

[quote]Originally posted by Daemon:
    <strong><pre>
    (\\
    .--,\\\__
    `-. a`-.__
    | ') AMD KICKS!
    / \ _.-'-,`;
    / | { /
    ..-"``~"-' ; )
    ;' `
    ;'
    ;'
    , /;'|
    ,;';\ |\ |
    \ &#0124;&#0124; |
    | )| )
    | &#0124;&#0124; |
    | \| \
    `##`##
    </pre></strong><hr></blockquote>

Your goat has claws......(Didn't want to join the debate but have been pretty entertained reading all this.)
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."