Diagnostic software, how reliable if at all?

Thread: Diagnostic software, how reliable if at all?

Post Diagnostic software, how reliable if at all?

Hi,
    This may be a really be a two parter but : I am just curious as to the accuracy of diagnostic software. I have Burnin and let that run which claims to do an intensive burnin test on hardware (Hardrive, RAM, Video card, CPU). If it passes the Burnin test How credible is that?

Also programs like Simmtester? How accurate do you find them? For example in this situation if you suspect maybe a memory problem and run Simmtester and the test clears would you deem Simmtester's diagnostic findings as "gospel" or do you use another software program?

What do you find to be the best (if any) diagnostic programs for components such as memory, HDD? Do you use an All-in-one software that you find accurate or do you use a certain software for a certain component? How about the accuracy of something for example like a HDD test compared to the diagnostics made by the manufacturer?
    Personally I would think the manufacturer but do you know of a generic, all purpose that does just as good a job?

Thanks for any input.
    "Good music makes you want to dance and kiss your girlfriend. Great music makes you want to riot and kill...."- Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine

[quote]Originally posted by Wyckyd1:
    <strong>Hi,
    This may be a really be a two parter but : I am just curious as to the accuracy of diagnostic software. I have Burnin and let that run which claims to do an intensive burnin test on hardware (Hardrive, RAM, Video card, CPU). If it passes the Burnin test How credible is that?

Also programs like Simmtester? How accurate do you find them? For example in this situation if you suspect maybe a memory problem and run Simmtester and the test clears would you deem Simmtester's diagnostic findings as "gospel" or do you use another software program?

What do you find to be the best (if any) diagnostic programs for components such as memory, HDD? Do you use an All-in-one software that you find accurate or do you use a certain software for a certain component? How about the accuracy of something for example like a HDD test compared to the diagnostics made by the manufacturer?
    Personally I would think the manufacturer but do you know of a generic, all purpose that does just as good a job?

Thanks for any input.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Personaly i use seperate software depending on the situation. For boot up issues, i have a port80 card (ISA.. need to update). For hard disks, i use exclusivly the diagnostic tools from the hard disk manufacturer (sometime if i have the time, I'll you spinerite)

For memory i use QMT.. 128 megs takes 22 hours for extensive test..

Find what you trust..
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I have had memory that passes the Burnin test but fails the memory tests performed by the free tester from <a href="http://www.goldmemory.cz." target="_blank">www.goldmemory.cz.</a> I can't comment on the validity of the other tests performed by Burnin but I now use Goldmem to test any suspect memory.
    Thanx again to jeff the brit for the link to goldmem.
    No need to be concerned. The voices in my head assure me I am completely sane.

"Dammit Jim I’m a Star Ship surgeon not the free clinic."