MS OFFICE 2000

Thread: MS OFFICE 2000

Lightbulb MS OFFICE 2000

I was doing a clean install of a new hard drive, after installing the operating system, I was going to install ms office 2000. For getting that the version the customer owned was an upgrade version it could not find a qualifying version for the install. Thinking that I had the old drive as drive D I clicked on D, which was the CD-ROM drive. It scanned its self and let me proceed with the install.
    The things we learn by accident.

Yep, discovered that by accident myself. Works with office97 also.

------------------
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me!

Bogeyman

Question

I don't understand how this could work. Can you explain it to me, please? Thanks

BadCache

Its simple. When office upgrade does a compliance check just point it to the upgrade itself and it will install. Obviously this is something Microsoft overlooked, or is it?(Guilt for charging so much for full versions?

Bogeyman
    So, does that mean that the full install is actually on the upgrade disk, and you just have to fool it so that it thinks it's doing an upgrade?

MuscleMan

The upgrade version of most microsoft products is really the full version with some extra code to make you look for an older version as proof that you bought a previous version.

Lightbulb

Ok, I've seen it too. I was wondering though...
    Is this legal? I mean, MS-OFFICE needs to upgrade an older version. If we "fool" it and install it without upgrading an older one, is it legal? I don't think so...

------------------
    God created human.
    Human created computers.
    God got mad and created customers!!!!!

The wandering Odysseus of the web.

I aggree, I would never do this at the shop for a customer. Besides the point that I like to see them squirm when I tell them I need the older software to do the upgrade (99% of the time it's their friend's friend's illegal copy of a $300 product)you never know if its someone checking up on your company making sure everything is legal. Doing work for someone on the side is another matter.

Good question Alien. Uncle Bill has to know about this. Like I said earlier it works with Office97 so it is nothing new. Do you suppose they would prosecute for their oversight? I mean as long as the upgrade is a legal copy? (I won't take any chances and I know MS will not volunteer the answer unless they want a rush on the hundreds of dollars cheaper upgrades)

And, I too, like watching customers squirm when they can't come up with the product codes to their friends copies of software. It really gets them going when I refuse to install it and send them out the door.

------------------
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me!

MuscleMan

I tried this with windows 95 upgrade and couldn't get it to work... what directory to you point it to?

If you look on the windows office 2000 box as to what qualifies for the upgrade. Just about any word processing program qualifies. Even older dos versions.

Have you ever seen a Dos or Windows based system that hasn't got a Dos Editor?

There are two things:
    1. Microsoft's guys are stupid.
    2. Using a Dos editor as an upgrade base, is just illegal.

The question remains...

------------------
    God created human.
    Human created computers.
    God got mad and created customers!!!!!

The wandering Odysseus of the web.

You have to think the software is overpriced. I work at a University and was in the bookstore the other day noticed that the academic package, a full version not the upgrade, of Office 2000 Pro was $199.

I Don't think that MS is giving the stuff away to students just that they are socking the rest of us. I may need to buy office 2000 for home. The university is upgrading here and I have need to do some work at home. I have t ofind out if the academic pack is legal for that purpose.

As far as Muscle Man is concerned it is possible to install a full Win95 from the upgrade cd but probably not legal. I have not tried Win98 this way yet would like to here if anyone has.

The steps are as follows.

Format the hard disk any version of DOS 3.21 and up and install a real mode cd-rom driver, create a file in the root directory named NTLDR ,no extension, re-boot and install.

It does not matter what is in the NTLDR file only that it be there. The easiest way to create that file from the command line is by typing dir > NTLDR which just copies the directory to the file.

BDunn:
    As to the legality of the academic version of any software: If you are qualified to buy it, you may use it anywhere. Being a university employee, you should have no trouble justifying the purchase and use.

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?
    Are we havin' fun yet?