To buy P4 or not to buy, that is the question!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To buy P4 or not to buy, that is the question!

Exclamation To buy P4 or not to buy, that is the question!

I am thinking of buying a new CPU for my computer. It's quite a tricky decision since each day processors are getting better and you just need that perfect one. Well, in my case, I need a good processor with a price range of 100-200 dollars. In your opinion, what processor will do the job for multimedia, reliability and high-performance?

Originally posted by jadepeony:
    I am thinking of buying a new CPU for my computer. It's quite a tricky decision since each day processors are getting better and you just need that perfect one. Well, in my case, I need a good processor with a price range of 100-200 dollars. In your opinion, what processor will do the job for multimedia, reliability and high-performance?
    That is a pretty tricky question! The best thing I can suggest would be a mid range Pentium III, around 733 or 800, although you also need to factor in other components like video card, etc. If you want to go with Athlon, you can get a little higher, 900 or better if you look around. The only bad thing about Athlon that I have seen is thier warrany, 5 days, versus 3 years on an Intel chip, although the only bad CPU I have ever seen was a Celeron 600, and it failed when we overclocked it to 1050Mhz! ran for about a day before it died.

Intel has been a lot more popular where I work, although AMD is making a come-back. If you already have the mobo, then go with what you have.
    Mike Palecek, MCP
    Production Manager

AMD Is making a comeback??? AMD already Kicked the crap out of Intel. If you want speed and cost efficiency, go with either a AMD Duron, which posts better benchmarks then a celeron and almost the same as a PIII, or a AMD Thunderbird.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Yep. If you're strapped for ca$h, go with the Duron. <$75 for an 850Mhz! Woohoo!

If you've got a wee bit more money to spend, then the Athlon is the way to go, just over $230 for 1.3GHz!

Don't even bother with the Pentium 4. It's $500 for a 1.5GHz that underperforms even a 1GHz Pentium III. And you're FORCED to use EXPENSIVE Rambus memory.

And avoid the Celeron like the Plague, unless you're big on overclocking. Even then, the newer Slowerons are much poorer overclockers than the older ones.

Darren Wilson

You said you wanted to Upgrade for 100-200 dollars, I dont think you can find a P4 and the memory to run with it and the mother board all for that ! I just bought a P3 1.3ghz and it FLIES !!!!!!!
    "We have assumed control"

Didn't the PIII's at 1.3 Ghz have some problems (common to overclocking problems on other overclocked CPU's?)
    ...I don't get it...

Another thing to keep in mind is that the only OS out there running in true 64 bit (supported by P4) is Linux. Other OS's (i.e. Win2k, ME, XP) force the P4 to run in 32-bit emulated mode, nullifying any performance increase over the PIII or Athlon.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

where can i find prices of cpu's in canadian dollars?

jimmr13

Cool

WinDrivers.com/Front/Page/half way down/ right hand colum. Prices.

are they in canadian dollars?

I'd go the AMD route myself, given the choice. Use the extra cash for some other goodies!

Otherwise, run the MOBO ya' got as fast as ya' can!

"what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

mobo???

I use an ASUS A7V motherboard with my 800Mhz AMD Thunderbird. It RULES. 4 IDE channles (2 ATA/100). Support for many fans, really really fast. and up to 7 USB ports. Also the ABIT K7V is an awesome board as well. Microstar is told said good as well, but ihave no experience with them to know.

No question. Spend the money, AMD 1.3 TBird.
    Why would anyone pay twice the price for a P4?
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.