[RESOLVED] Needing college advice and encouragement

Thread: [RESOLVED] Needing college advice and encouragement

hugheysoup

Unhappy Needing college advice and encouragement

I was just wonderering if anyone out there could me some advice that they have recieved for college?

Right now I am struggling with a class. I understand C++ but this teacher is making it so everyone is afraid to ask any questions.

Also what kind of jobs are out there for those who have a Bachealor of CIS?

------------------
    I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that do not work. - Thomas Edison

Cool

Hang in there.... Just remember that those who can't make it in the real world, teach.
    I had four years of narcisstic bastards that got offended if they were asked to explain something -anything- in more detail. And then made more than most of then do in two years in my first after graduation. Success is sweet revenge.
    Try picking up some do-it-yourself programming books (anything from O'Reily is good), and don't be afraid to search the net for code samples or advice.
    As for your degree, what I have seen is that most companies look for a CIS for entry level across the board, and for management path positions (due to the business requirements). CS people (like me) tend to end up in the hard-core technical aspects.
    Of course, that will vary from company to company. More than anything, it will depend on what you do, and if you stick with that career path.
    Good luck!

------------------
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

sebass54

Hang in there. A degree in CIS can get you a lot of programming work. I am in Detroit and there are a lot of jobs here. I would head this way after you complete your program.

One thing that is invaluable is what you do outside of school. For example, part-time jobs. Work at a computer store pick up hardware knowledge, networking, etc.

That's what I did. I can tell you that 90% of what I have learned and what got me my job is what I taught myself messing around or what I learned on the job.

But don't let up on school, be relentless...ask questions, so what. You'll look back and laugh when you have the big paying job and those who didn't ask questions switched their major.

When you are in your senior yr, if you pick up enough experience with work, you'll go into a classroom and sleep because there will be nothing your prof can teach you.

------------------
    "then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way..."

I found the biggest key to success in college is to know when to take a stand and when to just keep your mouth shut and get through it. Learning how to wade through the BullSh!t might well be the single most valuable aspect of earning a degree. In the real world (where you have to pay your own way or get cast aside) for every one of us that knows our field, there are always many more who know it as well or better. It's the ones who know how to get things done without overly stressing out who will be the long term successes. Hang in there and remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts. So the next time you're feeling a little overwhelmed--have dessert. That's my motto....good luck.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

ibennetch

I'm a second year college student now, and out of the three programming classes i've had now (and the one in high school), I learned the most by going a little further with the projects, finding better ways or different ways to do things. It's okay to ask for help, there are plenty of resources online, plus all my teachers and profs have been really helpful. Hang in there, it will get easier.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    Learning how to wade through the BullSh!t might well be the single most valuable aspect of earning a degree.
    </font>
    Hi,

When you start taking engineering courses, you also have to take Calculus and Physics courses...these are not only helpful and build a good foundation, they are also used to "weed out" people who have no business trying to take those advanced courses and go into that field of employment.

A lot of instructors take it upon themselves to speed up that process...and try to make things as difficult as possible. Most instructors/professors are professionals who take their job seriously. Having said that tho, I have come across a couple of real dirt bags who go out of their way to show you who has the Power.

Like the other posts have said, hang in there. And, don't worry about what other people are doing...let them sink or swim on their own. You need to concentrate on what YOU need to do to be successful. And, above all, do your best!

Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

lgrimm

Hang in there. I can relate....I have been in college now for over 2 years....will be done in June. These other folks are right...they will weed out those who can't handle it. Lots of people disappear every term in my classes. I am studying networking and have luckily gotten into a good job with some GREAT people that are WONDERFUL about teaching me stuff. Right now I am doing tech work, but the LAN Admins here are GREAT teachers and they don't laugh at me (too hard) when I ask something REALLY dumb. Hang in there though....it is SSSOOOO worth it. I am so much happier in my job now than I was before I started taking the classes!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! If I can give anymore encouragement, let me know....it ain't easy working full time, raising a kid AND going to school!!!

------------------
    Ever stop to think....and forget to start again?

MacGyver

You're lucky, the tech's at my college weren't too swift. One got mad at me when I knew more than he did!

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS11

I just wanted to thank all of those who gave me help and encouragement. Got through this cass which is supposed to be one of the hardest classes of the program. That was the hardest B that I have ever got.

Thanks Guys
    Faith is the substance of things not known and the Evidence of things not seen.

Sounds like I'm a little late posting here, but I wanted to offer up something too.

We've all heard of the horror stories of a person getting hired because they have that peice of paper. Turns out that person doens't know as much as the lowly tech sitting at the bench with no degree. Yet, guy with the BS makes more because of his paper.

Well, could you imagine how well you'll do if you have that peice of paper that guarantees you a job, AND you know what you're doing?!

Just stick it out and life will be good here in a couple of years.

Oh and as far as schooling goes, take a minute or two to check into the Computer Science curriculim in a Masters Degree. I'm here to tell you, that's where you learn the COOL stuff. Makes a BD in CIS look like childs play. That's what I've got my sights on. Just got to stick it out through all of the b.s. in getting my BS
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}

I am a third year comp sci student. if you are comfortable with programming and can think in objects and structures(template classes) and are good with logic(k maps, binary trees, matrices) go for the comp sci degree. It will let you go further than an IT dept (not knocking cis guys and gals), and as DonJ threw in, you take some intensive courses like upper level mathematics(vector analysis, advanced calculus, linear algebra), and really get an understanding of the fundamentals of all animated objects. do not be discouraged by the difficulty level. Currently, i attend City University of NY for a BA in comp sci but am trying to transfer to Steven's institute of technology for a BS in comp sci. The BS level courses are tough, but the education is worth it. Just ask yourself, "Do I want a strong education with solid foundations, or do I want a piece of paper to get me a job?" To be honest, when i started, i just wanted the paper, but know that i see what we as humans know about the interworkings of almost everything, it blows my mind, and i HAVE to find out more and why.

sorry so long but it's probably one of the most important life decisions you can make. I did it. I'm 26 and a tech and went back to school. I left $40,000 a year to and made only $10,000 last year working part time. but next year,its on!! and i'm seriously considering going for the masters. good luck!
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

"Psssst...hey you...don't tell anyone i told you, but
    -l ds:0100 2 1 12 gets you FAT."