Win2K upgrade

Thread: Win2K upgrade

Post Win2K upgrade

We had to do an upgrade for a customer this week. He was running Win2K on a P3 450 with an Asus P3B-F. He wanted to go P3 1Gig on an Asus CUSL-2 C. Win2K came up with inaccesible boot device on boot up. Could not install driver for ATA100 controller. To get around it we installed a Promise Ultra33 card we had laying around. Rebooted. Shut down and put new board in with Promise card on it and Hard drive and CDROM installed on the Promise. After a successful boot, we installed the Intel chipset software. Rebooted, and installed everythin on the Mobo. Worked great. Saved a reformat, and the procedure listed on the Knowledge base was ridiculously long. We would have reformatted instead.
    That Promise card is now a part of our arsenal.
    Hope it helps
    Jim
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mustang

Not a bad workaround.
    But if you hit, i believe its either f5 or f6, during the initial boot on setup you can install the ata100 drivers from a floppy
    all you have to do is put the mobo cd in a working machine and copy the needed files to a floppy.
    Just a thought.

Corelogik

I had a similar problem when i went to 2k on my A7V. the promise controller that comes on the board isnt recognized by windows setup. what i did was move the HDD to the IDE controller until i installed the drivers for it,. then moved it back to the ATA100 controller,...... works great.