virus programs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: virus programs

Post virus programs

Our company is getting ready to buy some virus protection software. Norton or McaFee? and which version is best? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Norton. Now, which norton you get will depend on your company. What size is your company? Networked? Software on server(s)? Windows version on desktops? ect.... You need to give more info, but I would still stick with Norton for any sized company.

Check out <a href="http://www.grisoft.com" target="_blank">www.grisoft.com</a> It's free for individual computers or for like 50 bucks you can buy a license for your whole company and manage updates and scans from your server.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Not a large company, 40 branches across the Northwest with each location having less than 10 computers ranging from Win95,98,98SE,2k and our server is a WinNT machine. I'm really only interested in this location of 7 machines of Win98 and the server winnt

Talking

For a spread out location, and 100% detection, plus it takes up bugger all system resources.. Sophos antivirus is the best.

My fav part of sophos is that you don't need to be at a machine to install it, it's clever enough to do it remotely (Works on NT4, win2k and win98)
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

Yeah, Sophos is pretty funky.. bit different to the other gear out there, but it appears to do a pretty good job.

[quote]Originally posted by senectus:
    <strong>For a spread out location, and 100% detection, plus it takes up bugger all system resources.. Sophos antivirus is the best.

My fav part of sophos is that you don't need to be at a machine to install it, it's clever enough to do it remotely (Works on NT4, win2k and win98)</strong><hr></blockquote>
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

norton: i work at texas ins.and norton is what they use world wide. i use it also at home.

good luck.
    Chicken one day...feathers the next
    Set your goals high and then go get a ladder.

I would say Norton myself in the office although I don't use any virus protection at home.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Registered User Commander Klarg's Avatar

Exclamation

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>I would say Norton myself in the office although I don't use any virus protection at home.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're insane.

If its a matter of economics that you don't use virus protection, the Norton license agreement basically states that if you use it at work, you can install it at home.
    Here comes the revolution; time for the retribution.

[quote]Originally posted by Lt. Cmdr Klarg:
    <strong>

You're insane.

If its a matter of economics that you don't use virus protection, the Norton license agreement basically states that if you use it at work, you can install it at home.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have never heard of this. Is this just for the Norton Corporate Edition or is it for all of its products.

Thumbs up

This might not apply to a smaller network such as yours, but McAfee's ePolicy Orchestrator 2.0 (which I'm installing and deploying as we speak) is downright impressive.

It uses the MMC to manage a "tree" into which your workstations are represented.

Best of all, you do *not* have to use it with VirusScan. It can also manage other products as well.

Look it up if you'd like to use an SMS-like system for antivirus deployment and management.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

mcaffee is the best for one, the other it has free upgrade dat files norton doesnt

mcaffee has great networking support.

All I use and work and home Screw Norton anti virus it never worked right in the first place.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

[quote]Originally posted by deseqer:
    <strong>

I have never heard of this. Is this just for the Norton Corporate Edition or is it for all of its products.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I took a look at earlier versions, and the license states that if a single person uses the computer that has it installed 80% of the time, that they can also use the software on a home computer. So, as far as I know, that's what Norton does with its software.

[quote]Originally posted by Daemon:
    <strong>mcaffee is the best for one, the other it has free upgrade dat files norton doesnt</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is BS, I haven't paid a cent on DAT upgrades for ANY AV program.

That being said, I would recommend either McAfee or Norton; whichever you would prefer.

[quote]Originally posted by Lt. Cmdr Klarg:
    <strong>

That is BS, I haven't paid a cent on DAT upgrades for ANY AV program.

That being said, I would recommend either McAfee or Norton; whichever you would prefer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Buy Norton Anti, you get free Dats for one year then you have to pay once every year. 4 PEOPLE here at my work have to do that tell they found that since my work uses mcaffee they can use it free of charge.

I downloaded it once when it said free then 2 weeks later I ahd to sign up for a 1 year subscription. ($30) and you had to do this every year just to get the new dats.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/