How do they forget passwords???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do they forget passwords???

Post How do they forget passwords???

Since there seems to be quite a lot of rant style posts up here today, I may as well add my own.

Everyday I hear the same thing - "I must have locked my account or something."
    Fine, I'll just reset it but quite often I run across someone who isn't locked out or the pasword doesn't need to be changed. I let them know thins and ask them to retype the username and password and often times I get:

OK, WHAT"S MY PASSWORD?"

Now here's the kicker. They actually don't know. They use the same thing every single day for 3 months at a pop and they forget it. I mean, how do you do that? It's probably the word winter or summer anyway, goodness knows that's half the company!

One person was agitated when she called one day and was angry that she had 2 passwords to remember and could she remember them both? I honestly didn't understand. I have like 7 passwords here and I don't have a problem with them. I could see it if they used it once every month or two, but this is every single day to get into the network. How do they forget that?

It's far better that they forget than (this is true) write them on a sticker and stick it on their monitor. Doh!

[quote]Originally posted by Tubs:
    <strong>It's far better that they forget than (this is true) write them on a sticker and stick it on their monitor. Doh!</strong><hr></blockquote>

How true - I have a user that has 5 or 6 stickies all around his monitor and they're all labeled something like "Website X" and then his password for the site. "Program X" and then his pass for that program. What's the freakin point of a password anyway?

The really sad part is that his password is the same for almost everything. It's a series of two numbers (eg - 4545), and if the password needs at least 6 chars, he just repeats (eg - 454545).

Sad.

Cool

I agree, some users have to remember 1 maybe 2 or 3 passwords, now is that SO hard ??

I need to remember -

8 server (admin) passwords (Which change every quarter or after a security breach)
    3 of my own account passwords for server login's (Change once a year)
    3 seperate personal email accounts
    3 passwords for my home PC's
    2 combinations for security doors at work (Changed every month)
    umpteen work & personal telephone numbers (including mobiles)
    2 Credit card PIN's......

Yet, the average [L]user cannot remember ONE, just 1 login password...Which they created and is more than likely the name of their dog.

God knows what will happen when we upgrade to Windows 2000 in the new year. The minimum password length is set to 8 characters, no names/places/countries allowed, a minimum of 3 capital letters and 2 numbers have to be included!
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

[quote]Originally posted by Geek #1:
    <strong>

God knows what will happen when we upgrade to Windows 2000 in the new year. The minimum password length is set to 8 characters, no names/places/countries allowed, a minimum of 3 capital letters and 2 numbers have to be included!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Holy Jeebuzz Cykes dude!
    My users would die or a brain overload if I made there PW's that hard!
    My guys need to remember 3 passwords, the NT4 one, the Lotus Notes one and the JDE as/400 login.

Me... I have to remember about 100-150 passwords.
    I change the system password twice a year, or when we get suspicous activity, they total about 15 or so, all the others are the users passwords.
    I have to rem them because the moment they have an issue with the're desktop, they take off and have a coffe or a smoke in some other dimension, so unless I want to waste 30 mins a person looking for them, or wait around for an hour or so, I have to remember their passwords.
    Sometimes when I go home I have to wonder why my brain hurts so much.
    <insert the Monty Python wav files here> "My Brain Hurts.."<Insert Gumby over voice> :/
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

Well...
    Forgetting passwords are one thing.
    -BUT-
    Forgetting Useranmes are far weird...

I have some users who occasioally say "WHAT? do i need to remember my login?"
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

[quote]Originally posted by Milenko:
    <strong>What's the freakin point of a password anyway?
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

That is probably the same question the users are asking. They stick the password to their monitor because they do not see any point to keeping it secret. I find the reason why the users don't know the point of having a password is that they are largely uniformed of the need for proper security. Several years ago I began a practice of working with corporate training to educate the employees of the need for proper security and password policies. This helped reduce employee frustration with passwords and increase awareness of security. Now I am getting fewer forgotten passwords and more emails from people warning me about security alerts on the internet (even though I usually find out first).
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

I always use the same User name but my passwords vary. From Synonyms to licence numbers from photos of Ferraris.
    The Dragon has left the building.

Exclamation

Well it sounds like people do not like to think for themselves
    That is why voter turn outs are down , Who wants to think when some one else will think for them , Are we becoming a society of lemings , God forbid , I get people who can't read the " Lot full " sign and they ask if the lot is full
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Cool

"So why do we need a password anyway?"

As "KINGofBLEH" stated the reason being security. A password allows access only to the people who should have access. File space on a server for example, without passwords anyone could look at anyone's files.

The other main reason being to stop crackers from breaking in. Even a low level user account gives you have access to the server and the network itself - thats half the job already done.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

I can't remember how many times I have heard the question "what's my password?" but I wish I had £1 for each one!

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel:
    <strong>Well...
    Forgetting passwords are one thing.
    -BUT-
    Forgetting Useranmes are far weird...

I have some users who occasioally say "WHAT? do i need to remember my login?"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hit the nail on the head here. I mean - the logon is yer freakin' name for almost every company there is but they still forget it. They literally forget their own names! I mean, how the hweck do you forget your own name? I had one lady tell me the # after her name made it too difficult to remember. Heck is that?

Makes me wish that computers came with devices that would sterilize the person I was speaking to so they couldn't breed or something. Maybe just a shock button on my end wired to an electrode in their chairs. I'd spend all day zappnig people for being stupid.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

[Shifts uncomfortably]

I'm on my 5th messanger account because I keep forgetting my username and password (never seem to be able to remember website ones).

Re the 4545 one, ever thought about borrowing this guy's cashcard? I think I know what the PIN is

On the positive side, I can remember the other 50 or so passwords and security codes that I need to (though it sometimes takes a while, or a trip to the safe).

It just seems like my brain is full and any new stuff I learn just pushes out some old stuff.

What day is it?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

We're starting to think about thumbprint security at my work. Unfortunately, it's going to be a sh*tty job for me but all of IT hates it when they hear, "What's my password" Have you all seen the new Abit lappies with thumbprint scanners? We might be adding those type of scanners within the next year. That'll be nice.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

[quote]Originally posted by ilovetheusers:
    <strong>

Hit the nail on the head here. I mean - the logon is yer freakin' name for almost every company there is but they still forget it. They literally forget their own names! I mean, how the hweck do you forget your own name? I had one lady tell me the # after her name made it too difficult to remember. Heck is that?

Makes me wish that computers came with devices that would sterilize the person I was speaking to so they couldn't breed or something. Maybe just a shock button on my end wired to an electrode in their chairs. I'd spend all day zappnig people for being stupid.</strong><hr></blockquote>

BINGO! I was looking for someone to say that! Just had that the other day...
    "enter you username and password to logon"
    "What's my user name?"
    "How long have you been with the company?"
    "3 years"
    **SMACK!**
    "But I know the password"
    **SMACK!** **SMACK!**
    ...I don't get it...