Square holes and round pegs?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Square holes and round pegs?

Post Square holes and round pegs?

I showed up at a customer's home the other day to replace a modem. The user could not connect to the internet. The customer gave me a half hour window to show up in, she was very busy and hurried. I was sympathetic and wanted to do the repair as quickly as possible.
    "Can you do something for me before you take my computer apart?", she asked.
    "My daughter has a paper on the computer she needs printed out so I can bring it to school for her. Can you print that out first?", she added.
    "Sure, no problem", I answered, thinking it would take only a minute.
    At the machine now, I asked,"What's the paper saved as?"
    "Something about pumpkins" was her reply.
    A search uncovered three possibilities and after opening them we chose the most complete looking document.
    Next, she asked, "Could you do a spell check on that before you print it?
    The paper was only 2 pages long, double-spaced and used about a 48 font setting, so I said, "Sure", as I clicked the appropriate menu items.
    "Spelling's not her strong suit", I commented as I corrected her 18th spelling mistake.
    "She's eleven", was Mom's response."Let's do a print preview before we print it", she instructed.
    "Alright", I said looking at my watch.
    Ten minutes later I was explaining to her how I didn't know how to get the document to fit on a piece of paper. I tried to adjust the margins, I checked "scale to fit", and I triple checked the printer properties and page setup. Still, the preview showed only the center strip of the paper.
    "Ooooh!", she hurriedly whined. "Just print that, it's better than nothing".
    I selected print and clicked, anticipating the sound of the bubblejet printer pulling in the paper. Nothing happened. The monitor now posted a message about how the document could not be printed because it was outside the margins.
    Ten more minutes of unsuccessful attempts to adjust the margins passed while she paced and reiterated,"I REALLY need to be going".
    Five more minutes passed. That's how long it took me to totally rewrite and reformat the paper. I printed it out and gave it to her. She took it without comment.
    Quickly, I found my way to Control Panel|Modems|Diagnostics|More Info. Results were perfect.
    Off to HyperTerminal I sped and typed in my cell number for a quick confirmable test. "No dial tone", the program responded.
    "The line is good", she asserted.
    "And if it was plugged into the modem...", I continued, staring at the phone cord in the back of her machine, "...instead of the ethernet card, it would increase the likliehood of you logging onto the Internet!"
    "I hope I get an A on that paper", I thought as I filled out my service call report outside on the porch after being shown the door and watching her speed away.

Hmmmmm .... Nice story

I hope you charged her for re-writing the paper and for stupidity.
    System Specs
    ------------------------------------------------
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2100 DDR RAM,

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400,

TDK 48X24X48 CD/RW

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

Dude, I hate to say it, but it sounds like you got the shaft. It it were me, there's no way in hell I'd do this chicks homework for her. It seems like you were just trying to be nice, but if people keep doing her homework for her, then she'll never learn on her own and then have a disadvantage in life. And especially since you weren't being paid to do this, is pretty bad. Just stick with the plan man. If you're going there with the intention of just fixing the modem, then just fix the damn modem and be done with it. Unless of course the mom is single and a m.i.l.f., then maybe you could at least get a little somthin somthin out of it.
    Hello World

[quote]Originally posted by WebHead:
    <strong>Unless of course the mom is single and a m.i.l.f., then maybe you could at least get a little somthin somthin out of it. </strong><hr></blockquote>

M.I.L.F. ????!!????
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

Red face

Doh.. I just figured it out.. Mom I'd Like to F..er.. play raquete ball with :/
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

[quote]Originally posted by senectus:
    <strong>Doh.. I just figured it out.. Mom I'd Like to F..er.. play raquete ball with :/</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just another one of those acronyms that the customers will never understand. BWAHAHAHA .

CD
    There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

[quote]Originally posted by CodeDragon:
    <strong>

Just another one of those acronyms that the customers will never understand. BWAHAHAHA .

CD </strong><hr></blockquote>

No, you never seen American Pie?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

[quote]Originally posted by Outcoded:
    <strong>

No, you never seen American Pie?</strong><hr></blockquote>

D'Oh!

CD
    There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

[quote]Originally posted by senectus:
    <strong>Doh.. I just figured it out.. Mom I'd Like to F..er.. play raquete ball with :/</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL,... mwahahahaha! Got a MILF living two houses down from me.
    Hello World

<strong>

LOL,... mwahahahaha! Got a MILF living two houses down from me. </strong><hr></blockquote>

but she don't leave her name on the bathroom wall......GAP stores you see a lot of MILFs.
    Faith is the substance of things not known and the Evidence of things not seen.

[quote]Originally posted by Octavian:
    <strong>

but she don't leave her name on the bathroom wall......GAP stores you see a lot of MILFs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But I'm always sure to leave my name on her bathroom wall. Bwahahahahaha!
    Hello World

<strong>

But I'm always sure to leave my name on her bathroom wall. Bwahahahahaha! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Faith is the substance of things not known and the Evidence of things not seen.

Damn, you guys are worse than our band!!
    http://www.animeinfinity.com/hota-ch.../sinistral.gif

The natural world is full of females falling hard for stupid male display behavior, including bright feathers, big antlers, and bombastic courtship rituals.

So maybe it's not the men who are stupid?

[quote]Originally posted by TheComputerKid:
    <strong>Damn, you guys are worse than our band!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

What,.. your band left their name on her bathroom wall too?
    Hello World