Hardware you thought you needed?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware you thought you needed?

Post Hardware you thought you needed?

Curious, have any of you bought hardware that you thought you could not live without, then not use it?

I bought a zip250 and a week later a burner, and the zip drive has still only been used once, and that was around a year ago.

I had a spider nest in my printer...but I know if I got rid of that I would need it. Like the zip drive I paid top dollar for it.

Now I have cable modem for checking my email and the occasional mp3 download.

I was thinking, I have a space on my desk that gets dusty and i might need to put a scanner there!!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Jallentino

Zip Drive. That has to be the biggest waste of space, I have a CDwriter and a network that I can back things up on, why do I need a ZIP Drive ? I thought it was cool.

Talking

I almost forgot my laptop...never gets used!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

carrienscott

Talking

Ya, my scanner and orb drive never get used. Although I download so much stuff off the internet that I have made my cable modem restart twice from overheating.

Tends to happen when you download at 5Mb..

------------------
    It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

archangel

I bought a scanner. I did use a lot, I'm a big photography buff. But then I updated to Windows 2000. According to them, they told me that Windows 2000 should not be used at home. The scanner I have is a "personal" scanner and not a business scanner. Visioneer will not develop drivers for 2000. So I am stuck with a scanner that I can't use. It does do a good as paper wieght though.

------------------
    www.el-mono.com

Hmm...
    Zip 250, scanner, DVD-ROM.
    I do use them occassionally... The scanner hadn't been used in over a hear, and was grinding pretty bad the last time the wife used it. I have a couple of DVD movies, but it's a pain in the a%% to hook it up to the TV, so I tend not to watch that many DVD movies.
    I do have stuff stored on the Zip 250, but not much...

------------------
    ***the Beast
    - Fate drove me here...then told me to get out of the car...
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

I have an old Zip100 drive that I got back when I was still on a 486. I used it frequently but never bought more than 3 zip disks. Since then it's mostly been collecting dust, though recently I've been using it more as the university I'm taking night classes at has them now on all the computers.

------------------
    You did what? I'm sorry but that's not supported.
    4 out of 5 voices in my head say, GO FOR IT!

MAYHEM

Have had several LS120's Still use mine to this day, even with 100+ GB on the network and two CDRW's. Bought a scanner last summer, Canon USB, on sale at Staples for $45, sold it before I even got it set in a permanant location.

------------------
    Who the hell is General Protection and why is he messing with my comuter?

iamtheman

Thumbs down

My 8X by DVD-ROM. Really only use it as a CD-Rom. I've got a good DVD surround sound setup on my TV so why would I watch a DVD on my monitor. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Oh well.

------------------
    Born to Network

Hmm. Windows Ce Device, Laptop, Digital Camera, Scanner, Jazz Drive, can't help it, they're so new and shiny - must have, can't live without the new supercharged, megawatt, multitrack bagel toaster it goes with any decor - i know I'm a child of marketing.HeHehehehehehe

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Snommis69

Bought a capture card like 6 months ago, and I still have not even opened it!

------------------
    Is the damn thing plugged in, is the damn thing turned on?

iateyourcat

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Larommi:
    .snip.
    I was thinking, I have a space on my desk that gets dusty and i might need to put a scanner there!!

</font>
    Make sure you do hours and hours of research on which printer has the best optics/resolution/etc so that the one time you use it, you'll be really impressed

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

CREEPINGDEATH

Smile

I don't see why some of you are knockin DVD-ROM drives I've got a good pioneer 10x slot load , and since my VCR is broken the only movies i watch anymore are DVD's.

Well i do have a 21" monitor so that really does make a difference.

------------------
    ~Clowns scare me~

Marlboro_Man

I once baught a pakerd bell thaught i could use it to store and play my mp3's. luckly i only paid 10.00 US for it

MacGyver

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marlboro_Man:
    I once baught a pakerd bell thaught i could use it to store and play my mp3's. luckly i only paid 10.00 US for it</font>
    I think you paid $10 too much for it