Hardware you thought you needed? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hardware you thought you needed?

bigluke, i have some moldy money i'd give you, but you need to ship the radeon to me. email me [email protected] for an offer.

stuff i've bought and not useed a lot? suprisingly, all my toys get a lot of use, mostly because I don't have a ton of money to get new ones! sux to be 17. i was gonna get a internal zip a year ago, but lack of funds stopped me. this year I got a cd rw for 100 bucks and that's the toy i don't need that i've used the most. i'd like to get a pair of those 3d goggles but i know i'd never use those. and id rather spend the money on my hankering to upgrade my K6 233 with a super 7 board

------------------
    I was going to be a procrastinator, I just never got around to it.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

Type_O_Negative_1320

Let's see...useless hardware at my house...got an ImageReader ISA (used to use it every once in a while, but then I got my new system with only 1 ISA slot and every time I put something in it, something goes kaput). Got some teeny tiny hard drives...my roommates and I keep our cases off and use them like floppy disks when our network is down. Parallel ZIP drive...got it for free, used it maybe twice. Epson 600 printer...used to use it ALL the time, but let it sit too long and the print heads went to hell. FLOPPY DISKS! Got hundreds of them (most are 720K...LOL). Plus the usual miscellaneous hardware...modems, 4MB video cards, old old OLD school no-name sound cards, 72 pin SIMMs (these could be worth a fortune, since no one seems to be selling them anymore.) Oh, and a 486 system I snagged to learn Assembler on that hasn't been turned on since I reformatted it with a clean version of DOS 6.22. (Actually, it's kind of useful...got some stuff stacked on top of it and using the stack to keep the middle of my crappy computer desk from sagging...LOL)

Kromrider

My DVD drive that I though I would definitly need. I have used as a DVD drive only once. At least it still works as a Standard CD Drive. I thought that Data DVDs were going to be the next step in software evolution.....

format.c

Cool

yep it's got to be the artec scanner that i bought two years ago. t's a scsi so it's good and quick but only gets used 2 maybe three times a year. paid $141 CDN for it. that works out to about what %30 American these days or what? : )

QSECOFR

I have dozens of sound/video cards and a 250MB Colorado drive sitting in my closet. BTW, does anyone need a brand new 486 DX/66???

------------------
    I wish they had Doom for OS/400...that would be some treat!

braybk

Like archangel, I too lost a Visioneer scanner due to a Win2k Upgrade. It'll prescan, but page faults on a full scan. Didn't use it much before that though, so not out much there.

I've also got a couple of phone-line network cards that have never been opened. On the plus side, they also have normal twisted pair ethernet connections besides the phoneline connections so they could be used as NICs in a pinch. I only bought them because they were $26.91 for the pair at Sam's Club and there was a $30 mail-in rebate on them, so I ended up ahead on that one!

NetLarry

NIC Cards... Old SCSI Hard Drives...

Oh, I won't even get into the cables!

-Larry

NetLarry

Archangle,

If you are, by chance, talking about the 5300usb, then they finally relented to the user complaints and posted a Win2K driver.

I do know what you mean, though. This company was making me very angry...

It's bad to like a product so much, that you put up with crap like this. I bought a new 8600usb (which is Win2K ok)...

Couldn't resist the $99 deal.

-Larry

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by archangel:
    I bought a scanner. I did use a lot, I'm a big photography buff. But then I updated to Windows 2000. According to them, they told me that Windows 2000 should not be used at home. The scanner I have is a "personal" scanner and not a business scanner. Visioneer will not develop drivers for 2000. So I am stuck with a scanner that I can't use. It does do a good as paper wieght though.

</font>

mrst3v3n

Smile

My work has three scanners, and a external Zip Drive. Its Still in the box and has never been used.
    Hey QSECOFR,

Send me the 486, my mom is not happy that I am taking our computer (PIII 450 with 256 MB Ram and 60 Gig HD 19' Monitor, and Cable Modem) She only wants to use it to get on the Internet. I need a cheap PC. with Windows and about 2 gigs of HD space

Cool

The 2 most useless items are FM tuner card and a TV tuner card. The TV card sucked and I have never installed the FM card. I can also add a colorado 250, a 1000 and a 3000 they were a bitch to do a restore with and too damn slow. Iguess I should throw in the wireless keyboard and mouse. seems the batteries are always dead or there is a bunch of stuff in front of the receiver and in closet #2 I have no idea. We have a closet that is hard to get into that we toss all kinds of useless stuff into. We should probably have a closet sale.

------------------
    If life is a bitch then what is death? I believe I will take the bitch!
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

Maybe a better question (easier) is what equipment do you use frequently!?

lets see.... got a LapTop, Palm Pilot, Scanner, DigiCam, etc... etc...

At least I did not have to pay for them, but yet get mad when my budget is maxed out at work!

Never underestimate the power, or aggrevation, of stupid users in mass numbers..

window_washer

For me, definitely the DVD-ROM. Fortunately, only cost me $50 Cdn (I only use it to burn disk to disk with my burner). I returned my Zip drive to the store before the return period was up. But the most useless thing I have ever bought was McAfee Office.

zay31

Definitely my DVD Rom. A regular cd rom would have been good enough.

Argh

A Zip 100 external SCSI that's now collecting dust ever since I bought a CD-RW drive.

An old Conner external parallel port tape backup drive.

A Diamond Rio PMP300. Since my MP3 collection runs close to a 1000+ files, storing only 6 or 7 tracks at a time on it just doesn't cut it for me. I still use the earphones though.

[IMG]

Cool

hmm well it's not really equipment, but i got damn near a small cooler chest full of old memmory modules, off of xt's and 286's, along with a swack of old cache chips, and tag chips, got some bios chips in there, oh, here i see some of the clock crystals i was looking for 3 years ago, and my my my, here is an intell 386 math co-processor, ...sure glad i kept this stuff...its almost antique!!
    and add in cards...sheesh, why?? i dunno, think i am part pack rat...