[RESOLVED] Who makes the best laptop/Easiest to Repair
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Who makes the best laptop/Easiest to Repair

jza734

Post Who makes the best laptop/Easiest to Repair

I don't know if this has been posted before or not. I work on laptops alot, being certified in just about all major manufactures's types. I am asking of anyone who works on them on a daily basis, which is your favorite? My 2 cents opinion is IBM. Let us know!

------------------
    Always keep a hammer/sledge above your bench where all customers can see it!

captpackrat

I've never tried opening it, but for ease of replacing parts, my Sony VAIO laptop was probably one of the best. The CD-ROM, Floppy, hard drive, and battery all just popped out, no screws required, the RAM and a few other parts were behind unscrewable panels, and the keyboard folded up and out by releasing a couple clips.

The older IBM's were great too. I had one that you just throw a couple levers on the side, the keyboard lifts up like the hood of your car, and the guts are right there underneath. Couldn't get any simpler.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Rocinante

Dont suppose you have an old IBM thinkpad keyboard.

------------------
    on tonights menu - special fried bios

CREEPINGDEATH

oh yeah that reminds me could someone please respond to my post in the laptop forum?

oh and i appreciate your captpackrat

------------------
    What Me Worry?

[This message has been edited by CREEPINGDEATH (edited February 13, 2001).]

Since I'm certified and never have any headaches servicing them..my vote goes to Toshiba.

------------------
    If it aint broke......use a bigger hammer

A DoG NaMeD SpoT

Thumbs up

I would have to agree with the IBM Thinkpad. Keyboard pops up, stuff pops out. The thing I don't like is replacing a hard drive with a 'normal' one. taking apart that lil casing is a pain sometimes

------------------
    "What's an ID10T error?"
    "Nevermind... just bring it in..."

MAYHEM

I have a Compaq Notebook 100 right now, MAJOR pain in the ***. Can't upgrade the memory at all, and it took two hrs to get tothe HDDto replace it. I have seen some of the Gateways and Dells that I really liked.
    The Dells that my buddies company is using are amazing. Two removable drive bays (one for HDD's) the other supports Hdd, CD-ROM/DVD/CD-RW or a second battery pack amongst other things and will handle up to 512MB ram. Iwant one bad.

------------------
    Make sure you get your Whole head in front of the shotgun... Thank you for calling.

slkdprk

My tandy 3800 HD is pretty easy to work on. And after I added the heatsink it can actually install DOS without locking up.
    /SLk

------------------
    It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand.

MrEnigma

I'd have to go against toshiba, just because the company I used to work with had horrible luck with them. We then tried the gateway solo's and also were not very impressed. As it stands I probably would order a Dell first, second choice would be a Sony. Neighbor has a dell laptop, runs all 24/7, never has any problems with it, plus I like Dell. Anyhow just my .02.

Jallentino

Every manufacturer makes a high end and a low end unit. I like IBM and Toshiba, but if you buy the cheapo model with their name on it, well, you get what you pay for.

------------------
    "You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle dixie ?"

jrwilson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jallentino:
    Every manufacturer makes a high end and a low end unit. I like IBM and Toshiba, but if you buy the cheapo model with their name on it, well, you get what you pay for.

</font>
    ditto here...my company issued GW solo is crap, piled on junk, stuffed with S$%^

avoid at all costs!!

------------------
    "Don't hate the media....BECOME the media!!" Jello Biafra - Dead Kennedys

CobraTekMax

Best = IBM
    Worst = Compaq

------------------
    Those who can, do.
    Those who can't, supervise.
    Those who can't supervise, own the %&^#$@$(* company.

jimmr13

Cool

God I hate lap tops ! But for me the best are IBM, or Toshiba, the worst compaq!
    But that is just an opinion !

------------------
    If all else fails read the directions !

TipTap

Where do Gateways come in this? I heard they were pretty bad.

------------------
    Lean, mean and keen, green like a been, are the Thri-kreen.

I would have to say that any quality laptop is easy to work on - dell, compaq LTE and armada, tochiba, sony, ibm you get what you pay for.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010