[RESOLVED] Female techs in your shop...just curious
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Female techs in your shop...just curious

Lynette

Resolved [RESOLVED] Female techs in your shop...just curious

I work in a retail store/shop where 50% of the techs are female (2 out of 4), yet we don't know of any other shops in the area that has any female techs. I know of another gal tech in the area, but she has gone into sales. We were discussing this the other day and are curious about the techs here...what percentage if any of your techs are female?

Darren Wilson

Around my area there are no female techs that I know of.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

GirlGeek

I'm a female tech and I own the shop.

Welcome to the boards!

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

furlong47

There are maybe four or five of us that post on this board, but I've found we are definately the minority!!

------------------
    "True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country."
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

Amateur Radio Callsign KB3FHH

jimmr13

Cool

Yep we have one at my business partner's shop
    I've had a few over the years! Mostly worked harder then the guys!
    No Flames Please !

------------------
    If all else fails read the directions !

[This message has been edited by jimmr13 (edited February 25, 2001).]

pcmauler

In my 8 years in the industry, i've only ever met one female tech (in chat room). Never met one in person though.......

StevePorter

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by furlong47:
    There are maybe four or five of us that post on this board, but I've found we are definately the minority!!

</font>
    Female techs are rare as rubies. That makes what you say even more valuable. I think females approach technical problems from a whole different side...guys could learn a little from this right-brain/left-brain stuff...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Where I work there are three techs. Two of us are male and the third is female. She is the hardest working tech in the group, she just will not slow down.

Lynette

Talking

Thanks for the welcome GirlGeek and great to hear that you are not only a tech, but a shop owner as well. I have noticed a few gals posting here (I've been luuuurkin')There is really a lot of good feedback here as far as female techs are concerned. I'm glad to see it. I get so many shocked customers that ask to speak to a tech, so I pick up the phone, "Hello, this is Lynette, may I help you?" and I hear, "No, I was waiting for one of the 'Techs'." They seem so surprised to find out I AM a tech. (Sometimes the only one at the shop). Oh, well, most of them get used to the idea of a girl working on their computer in quick order

DaOnly123Kid

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jimmr13:
    Yep we have one at my business partner's shop
    I've had a few over the years! Mostly worked harder then the guys!
    No Flames Please !

</font>
    that's because we(guys) get distracted too easily by anything(i.e. all the techs in my shop spend an hour the other day pouring alchol on a fly, then after it died we lit it up)

anyway....what was i saying...j/k

------------------
    There are 24 hours in a day, and 24 cans in a case of beer. Coincidence, I think not!!!

WarrenBull

I've only ever heard of 1 female tech,

she worked with this friend of mine, and call me a fascist sexist chauvanist or whatever, but its quite gross;

she would sexually harass her co-workers (all male) but the thing is they couldn't enjoy it coz she's not only ugly, but short and fat as well.

she boss eventually fired her, coz she ****ed up too many customers PC's..

im not saying all female tech's are like that, i just wish that we had some baywatch babes working next us (wink wink)

that's just an experience i wanted to relay, prolly totally unappreciated, but plz don't flame me...

GirlGeek

Yeah...well I want cuter customers too.

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

Smile

We've got one in our shop. Actually its just her and me. She does about 75% of the repairs, and I seem to have been tied up in managing the business.

I'm married to her though. Does that count??

Cable Modem Tech

we are out in the field modt of the time at our work..... but there are only 2 of us , me and her ... she was there before me and is very good at what she does.. I have learned alot from her in the past months. but i can teach her a thing here and there as well.... it is good to have 2 different aproaches to a problem, if one of us is stuck we can call on the other to get the job done and thats what its all about

------------------
    They get mad when they come to raid my pad and i'm out in the nine duece cad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WarrenBull:
    she would sexually harass her co-workers (all male) but the thing is they couldn't enjoy it coz she's not only ugly, but short and fat as well.
    </font>
    You know, I really hate the fact that women can get away with that, but a man looks sideways at a woman, and he's fired, sued, beheaded, shot, stretched, drawn, and quartered. I thought this was the age of equality?

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000