[RESOLVED] I AM impressed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] I AM impressed!

Delbruc

Red face I AM impressed!

Let me tell you brief story:
    This past weekend my wife and I were performing some case mods (cause we can!) and while trying to figure out how to get the front bezel off of the front of her Kenwood 72x cd-rom drive (I was holding it by the bexel with the tray out looking at the door front) I found out that the door front simply lifts off, and gravity found out that there was nothing supporting the drive after it did come off. **CRASH** Mr. Kenwood drive lands on the *concrete* floor... Uhhhh... *oops!* (Wife: I think its dead! You killed it!) *BUT* to our very surprised eyes it works just as normal as it did before hand! Imagine that, 7 laser pickups and a 5 foot drop to concrete doesn't phase it! I **AM** impressed! (My wife says she'll be impressed when it's still working in a month) Thanks for reading!

------------------
    "You can't win the game with government cheese." --The Great Brain Robbery -- Cheapass Games

MacGyver

NO KIDDING, my brother would slam his Gravis gamepad on the concrete floor to get it working again. They're super cheap so not like it's a big loss if it busts.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

LORE

Talking

I had a gameboy once that needed a good pounding to turn it on. one or two good slams into a wall would usualy get it going, but it did develope funnny little lines after a while, wonder what caused that.

------------------
    We may be through with the penguin, but the penguin may not be through with us

CREEPINGDEATH

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LORE:
    I had a gameboy once that needed a good pounding to turn it on. one or two good slams into a wall would usualy get it going, but it did develope funnny little lines after a while, wonder what caused that.

</font>
    dude where have ya been i was getting ready to post you in the M.I.A. section!

------------------
    ?What Me Worry?

behemoth1

ever look at a customers face when you drop a hdd 6 inches to the counter top to get that one last boot so you can back up their data from a seized drive?....priceless

------------------
    be·he·moth n.
    1. Something enormous in size or power.
    2. Someone who is abnormally large [syn: giant, goliath, monster, colossus]
    3. A person of exceptional importance and reputation [syn: colossus, giant, heavyweight, titan]

Acronym - Definition
    BEHEMOTH Big Electric Human-Energized Machine, Only Too Heavy

DaOnly123Kid

at my lan pwrty saturday, i dropped an external sony burner on the street, and it still works fine, just slow(thats because it's a 4x burner)

------------------
    There are 24 hours in a day, and 24 cans in a case of beer. Coincidence, I think not!!!

Had an old IBM Aptiva come in that had been knocked off a desk. Reseated the cards and all was well.

------------------
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

My old HP1200 was thrown down a flight of stairs by my ex (10 mins before she became my ex), followed by 25 lbs of guitar amp and 2 very solid cast-iron base mike stands landing on top of it. I arrived home just as she was about to follow up with the guitar collection and drum kit and forestalled any more testing to destruction. The printer lid had a crack on the hinge, but still worked just fine for the next 18 months till I sold it to a friend who's still using it. By the way, one of the mike stands had the base broken off and the amp lost its spring reverb. Speaks volumes about build quality on those old HPs !

------------------
    Still scrambling up the learning curve ...
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

We had a very good business customer bring in their mom's packard bell to see what was wrong with, after the obvious reply of "its a packard bell, next question" we setoff to fixing it. After days of trying to repair the beast we determined their had to be a short something so we started pulling it apart and setting the parts around the case then slowly rebuilt the terror once again. I forget what it was screwing it up but we found out what the faulty part was(i know that would mean at somepoint the part wasn't faulty which is a lie so i guess it would be the more faulty part, back to the story) and replaced. The beast came alive with its new part but we hadn't actually screwed everything back into the case yet(a little bit of foreshadowing perhaps). We go home for the night and come back in the morning forgetting the beast is still in parts and one of the techs picks it up by the side and we watch in utter terror as parts start falling to the ground and that was the end for the old gal. Couldn't get it started after that, after days of screwin with it, he just dropped it on the ground. We were not so lucky and we had to give the customer's mom a computer to replace her lost which she b$^%#ed about all the time that it wasn't working right.

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by behemoth1:
    ever look at a customers face when you drop a hdd 6 inches to the counter top to get that one last boot so you can back up their data from a seized drive?....priceless

</font>
    Remember the old MFM drives that would build up a magnetic field and lock. I use to carry a degausing tool that I would touch to the case of the drive to get it working again.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delbruc:
    Let me tell you brief story:
    This past weekend my wife and I were performing some case mods (cause we can!) and while trying to figure out how to get the front bezel off of the front of her Kenwood 72x cd-rom drive (I was holding it by the bexel with the tray out looking at the door front) I found out that the door front simply lifts off, and gravity found out that there was nothing supporting the drive after it did come off. **CRASH** Mr. Kenwood drive lands on the *concrete* floor... Uhhhh... *oops!* (Wife: I think its dead! You killed it!) *BUT* to our very surprised eyes it works just as normal as it did before hand! Imagine that, 7 laser pickups and a 5 foot drop to concrete doesn't phase it! I **AM** impressed! (My wife says she'll be impressed when it's still working in a month) Thanks for reading!
    </font>
    Dude, no offense, but if you treat your NIC cards like you treat that CD Rom, that would explain a lot... (-;

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

captpackrat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by behemoth1:
    </font>
    I used to keep an old junker 300M hard drive around just to scare people. I'd pretend to remove the drive from a system, and then 'accidentally' drop it on the floor. I think I had a coworker soil himself once when I did that and he thought it was a $1000 SCSI drive.

When I was working at CR when got in a batch of wonky Sony monitors. We kept one out on the display floor, and every other day the display would go nuts, and I'd walk over and *POUND* on the side of it and it'd straighten out again.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

3fingersalute

When in doubt....use brute force!

------------------
    24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?¿?

Delbruc

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pcshark:
    Dude, no offense, but if you treat your NIC cards like you treat that CD Rom, that would explain a lot... (-;

</font>
    HEY! I had nothing to do with that NIC! Except buying, installing and setting it.... Oh, nevermind... :-)

------------------
    "You can't win the game with government cheese." --The Great Brain Robbery -- Cheapass Games

GJFowler

Smile

I believe it's called Percussive Maintenance.