[RESOLVED] How do you ground yourself??? No, I AM NOT feeling weird.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] How do you ground yourself??? No, I AM NOT feeling weird.

kennethstarrfp

Talking How do you ground yourself??? No, I AM NOT feeling weird.

I personally ground myself with case will unplugged but was told by my other techs that this was incorrect, but then I heard that if the power-point is wired incorrectly I could get shocked.

1. I don't give a **** (it's only V240).

2. What the **** is the proper way?

and how do YOU ground yourself

------------------
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

rob_b

The only thing you actually have to do is make sure you are at the same potential (electrical charge) as the PC...

Leaning on the case as you install (whether it's plugged in or not) will put you at the same potential as the case. You could go the whole hog and use a wrist-strap (earth strap) as i was taught in Telstra, but in our industry it's not really required.

------------------
    In just two days... tomorrow will be yesterday!!!

GJFowler

Same as rob_b, I just keep hand or arm in contact with the case to stay at the same potential, a wrist strap would save forgetting.

Only know of zapping a system once, felt the spark from fingertip to the top of the ceramic case of a 486. Stopped the CPU running, but booted up again OK. Lucky it was to the ceramic not a pin.

An engineer I know working at IBM told how they test chips by zapping them with charged capacitors, says they're actually quite tough. Static discharge can degrade a component though, and cause failure at a later date.

MacGyver

The trick I use is to keep the PC power cord plugged in, but plug it into a power strip with the power strip power button turned OFF. This way there is no power going to the case and you're grounded (since the ground is always connected no matter how the power strip switch is set)

BUT. I usually use a wrist grounding strap when I'm dealing with an expensive component, like, a 256MB stick of RAM Better safe than sorry.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

*BSOD*

I uasually try to discharge static first by touching case of a computer plugged in.
    Then place my hand on the unplugged computer I am going to be working on and keep it in contact while working.

I like the Idea with the switch on the APC and being plugged in. Got to try that.

StevePorter

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MacGyver:
    The trick I use is to keep the PC power cord plugged in, but plug it into a power strip with the power strip power button turned OFF. This way there is no power going to the case and you're grounded (since the ground is always connected no matter how the power strip switch is set)

BUT. I usually use a wrist grounding strap when I'm dealing with an expensive component, like, a 256MB stick of RAM Better safe than sorry.

</font>
    Exactly right. You want to grab the unpainted case frame while it's plugged in, but not powered. Otherwise, to be truly gounded, you've got to bring in a dedicated ground line. Just watch for the blue spark of death when you didn't quite ground yourself properly...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Also, of note, if you are ever wondering if the outlet that you are using has a good ground a three prong tester is avail from Radio Shack, Home Base or you local electronics/descent home improvement store for about $7 and it will tell you if you have a bad ground.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I rub inflated balloons all over my clothes and then scuff my shoes on the nylon tiles. Always hold devices by the shiny gold bits and use tin foil to protect the contacts of a CPU.

------------------
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

DaOnly123Kid

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scutterboy:
    I rub inflated balloons all over my clothes and then scuff my shoes on the nylon tiles. Always hold devices by the shiny gold bits and use tin foil to protect the contacts of a CPU.

</font>
    you too!!!!

------------------
    There are 24 hours in a day, and 24 cans in a case of beer. Coincidence, I think not!!!

We are ALL ALWAYS grounded...it's called gravity!!! (sorry, couldn't resist)

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Auric

I have an antistatic matt that i set the case on and an antistatic strap that i wear on my wrist.

However if im lazy, just lean the case over and leave it plugged in. if you leave the pc plugged in you have the potential to be grounded just like the ground pin on the electric socket.

------------------
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

SavageDolphin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scutterboy:
    </font>
    LMAO!!! SP always shocks me before touching a case. I seem to attract static electricity. It doesn't matter what I do, I'll shock something and injure myself at least once a day during the winter. I give up!

------------------
    "In a 32-bit world, you're a 2-bit loser..."

Darren Wilson

Bare skin on a plugged in but powered off at mains bare case chassis.

Never blown a component via ESD, even working on a nylon carpet, but I always get ESD shocks from cars in the summer!!!

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

Skatman

Wink

I ground myself out with one hand on the case and make sure that i grab parts with static bags if poss, dunno if that does any good but cant hurt anything

haha my first post here woot!

J/K i guess your acct gets deleated if you dont post for awhile

lgrimm

Ground yourself? You mean your really supposed to do that? OOOPPPSSS.......j/k I did know that, I am just bad about it and don't very often follow that rule........guess i will learn once something gets fried......

------------------
    Ever stop to think....and forget to start again?