[RESOLVED] How do you react?!?!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] How do you react?!?!

lgrimm

Post How do you react?!?!

Ok, I know we have had the whole how many, if any female techs in your office conversation, but this is a little different.

Last week I went to St. Louis MO for some SMS training. When I walked in to class they (all men) looked at me like I was in the wrong room, then when they realized I was staying I felt like some sort of science experiment. Once we started class and they realized I was able to join in the "talk" somewhat itellegently, they started to lighten up and by the second day all was cool and I actully went out after class with one of them. Weird.

Anyway, my question is, does it throw the male techs of the world for a loop when all of a sudden a female tech is in their midst? How do you react if you are in a class or something like that and one walks in?...

Just curious....

------------------
    Ever stop to think....and forget to start again?

Snommis69

Does not bother me in the slightest. I judge by competence and attitude, not race, color, creed, sexual pref, age, political alignment, astrological sign, shoe brand....

But seriously, it may not have anything to do with being a tech (other than the fact that the stereotypical computer geek has no social skills). If you are the only woman in any class (or anyplace else) you will garner male attention.

Simply put, we men think a whole lot like this:

**TEST PATTERN**
    FLASH---I am hungry...
    **TEST PATTERN**
    FLASH---SEX...
    **TEST PATTERN**
    FLASH---BEER...
    **TEST PATTERN**
    FLASH---MORE SEX...
    **TEST PATTERN**
    FLASH---SPORTS...
    **TEST PATTERN**
    FLASH---SEX YET AGAIN...
    **TEST PATTERN**
    ect, ect, ect...

------------------
    Is the damn thing plugged in, is the damn thing turned on?

MacGyver

Engineering has traditionally been a male dominated field, however our office has been hiring young graduates and more of the younger engineers are women. We have two women engineers right now and another was hired today...

My wife is pretty computer savvy, it's nice not having to show her how to do everything. I have to enough of that at work! She sometimes surprises me at what she knows/can do...

------------------
    Tech: "You need to pack up your entire computer and bring it back in to us."
    Customer: "Why?"
    Tech: "BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO OWN A COMPUTER!"

hugheysoup

I my programming class thereis aobut 14 people in it. Out of those 14, 4 are women. I don't hink they thorw any of the guys off for a loop. To be honest 2 of theem are probal the best students in the class, they are treated no different bay ny of the gusy in the class they are probaly the most reppected in the class. Teh other 2 I can level with, they are the ones that have the same problems that I do with the assignments. Those two are teh best help and teh most down to earth. unfortunately Iteh teacher that we have is sometimes not so kind. It seemed that he was shocked to see so many girls in his class. So the girls in my class I got to hand it to them...not only to them but to all those who have to suffer with whatever geder barrier that is out there. Just another way to show how good of studetns these womenare. Teh calss straed with about 21 people. Four were women the rest where guys. Now ther is 14 and still 4 women.

PM if you find any of this offensive so that I edit anything out if it is.

------------------
    Coding is easy; All you do is sit staring at a terminal until the drops of blood form on your forehead.

Real Programmers don't eat quiche. They eat Twinkies and Szechwan food.

Honestly it has never bothered me or even been a consideration. I find that most of the women I know are usually pretty organised and heck I could learn something! I never pass judgement on anyone in any field. I learned more about cars from a friends wife than I did from him. How many female mechanics do you see?

------------------
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking!

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

Arrow

Yeah, lgrimm, I often get the same thing. Sometimes I can't tell if it's just a "girl in the room" thing or a "can a girl be a tech" thing. In fact, what am I saying? I can't tell at all. ANYTIME a six foot tall woman walks into a room with mostly men, there's a long pause while they double-check my feet to see if I'm wearing four-inch spike heels!

But seriously, I know what you mean. Sometimes I get the disbelief reaction, too. It's okay, though, no real biggie to me. I also have guys stop and offer to help me when I have my car jacked up in the driveway and am changing the oil (unless my hubby is standing near me, twiddling his thumbs). It'll be interesting to read what all the tech dudes have to say on this...

rebelj

Thumbs up

I learned in High School to judge by competence, not gender ... one of my majors was auto shop, and one of the best students there was a girl.

As a rule, usually if a female says she knows a tech field, she is at least somewhat competent - some of us men on the other hand will try to BS when we don't even know how to turn on a switch!

I work by the "old" rules - if you know what you are doing, you are welcome to join me, we both might learn something. If you don't know what you are doing - get the he-double-hockey-sticks out of my way!

------------------
    If this is reality - I want the drugs back NOW!

Snommis69

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Renee:
    Yeah, lgrimm, I often get the same thing. Sometimes I can't tell if it's just a "girl in the room" thing or a "can a girl be a tech" thing. In fact, what am I saying? I can't tell at all. ANYTIME a six foot tall woman walks into a room with mostly men, there's a long pause while they double-check my feet to see if I'm wearing four-inch spike heels!

But seriously, I know what you mean. Sometimes I get the disbelief reaction, too. It's okay, though, no real biggie to me. I also have guys stop and offer to help me when I have my car jacked up in the driveway and am changing the oil (unless my hubby is standing near me, twiddling his thumbs). It'll be interesting to read what all the tech dudes have to say on this...
    </font>
    Let me get this straight... 6 feet tall, changes oil, digs computers.... God, I married the wrong woman! Are you really Gina Davis? (lol..just jokin'- I love my wife, but if you do look like Gina, I could be swayed...)

------------------
    Is the damn thing plugged in, is the damn thing turned on?

jimmr13

Cool

My Girl Friend is a 6' tall Blond, Sorority
    Girl with a PHD in Mathmatics, And is a Vice President of An Educational Software Co. Woh takes her Boxster to porscha for maintence including oil changes, But also helped me rebuild my bronco! I mean she did the Tranie
    al by herself, also the valve job, But when she enters a room! WOW! Total Goddess! often wonder what she ever sees in me?

------------------
    Sarcasm is just one more service we offer!

I think sex when i see a decent looking tech chick..
    i think sex when i see any decent looking chick for that matter...
    only difference is that i could talk to the tech chick...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jimmr13:
    Girl with a PHD in Mathmatics, And is a Vice President of An Educational Software Co. Woh takes her Boxster to porscha for maintence including oil changes, But also helped me rebuild my bronco! I mean she did the Tranie
    al by herself, also the valve job, But when she enters a room! WOW! Total Goddess! often wonder what she ever sees in me?

</font>
    Well, I could say your money, but it sounds like she's doing ok by herself. Probably just has a softspot for old hippies--reminds her of her dad....j/k

------------------
    Men's view of Women: All your sex are belong to us...
    Women's view of Men: All your attention, time, and money are belong to us....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

bohr

We hired one of our senior tech's girlfriend to help clear up the backlog of RMA's because we are just too busy to tend to them. Man, thanks to her former EMT skills (emergency medical Technician) she has a way when it comes to dealing with suppliers who don't want to accept back rma's. She has this very persuasive manner and they never give us any more grief when sending rma's away.

Crowbar

</font>
    !WOW! Any single sisters?

CREEPINGDEATH

sigh* I'm doomed to a life of solitude... to sum it up I'm screwed ...and not in a good way.

------------------
    I'm a happy little hippie ......UNTIL YOU TAKE MY COMPUTER AWAY!!!

SNAFU

</font>
    Yip...mine is a 5'11" Blonde Star distance runner at my University. And is in med. school. How she hooked up with an actor/tech like me...who knows....
    But i love it when an intelligent girl slap men down in technical discussion. Cracks me up. It's something to admire...though we have no women techs (damnit....), I wouldn't look suprised if we got one. I'd like it. Be a nice change in scenery (BELIEVE ME!!!) and energy.

------------------
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for!!