The family tech-support guy - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The family tech-support guy

Ah, the WORST call I ever got:

It was roughly 10pm, and I was snuggled in bed, watching some TV, and waiting for my gf to call. She was working till about then, so I just hung out.
    The phone rang, and I wearily answered the phone (expecting it to be her). "Hi, um, I plugged my joystick in to my computer, and I can't get it to work. Can you come over?"
    My response: "No. Bring it in the store tomorrow. <click>"
    Man! I was boiling! I asked my boss the next day (since he was friends with this bum) if he gave out my home number to customers. He didn't. I realized that silly me wrote my home number for the other tech to call me on a white board in the back area. The guy must have went back there and said, "Oh, there's his home number. If I have any problems at ANY time of night I'll just call him!"

Another time, a customer was supposed to pick up a computer. We closed at six, and she promissed to be there at exactly 6:15. I had a meeting to be at at 7:00, and the place was over a half hour away. I hung out until 6:30, and still no show. I grabbed the company van, and sped back home to grab some supper, and fly back (by this time it was about 7:15...late already). I had to stop to drop off some store bills, and as I was getting back in the van someone called out to me. I looked (silly me) and lo and behold, it was the customer. "I was just over at the store, and there was no one there. Can you let me in so I can pick up the computer?"
    Sigh. "I'm really late for a meeting...I hung out at the store until 6:30..."
    "Well, I was running late."
    Sigh. "Alright. It's got to be really quick, though!"
    We get to the store (which was across the street). Then the customer starts asking STUPID questions, like "How do I turn it on?" ARGH!

------------------
    ***the Beast
    - Fate drove me here...then told me to get out of the car...
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

Helping you relatives is still good public relations.

Hey, I just look at it as all part of my chosen way of life. Tell your relatives to contact me... ha ha If it is broke I will fix it - Of course they have to pay my regular fees. (They aren't MY relatives.)
    "Toaster? No problem... there you go, FIXED... That will be US$130 please."
    But seriously I never care about such questions... I can fix about anything, whether it is a toaster, laser projector, VCR, Stereo, nuclear reactors or HV Power Supplies mentioned above, so if I have the time, I go ahead and fix whatever it is. (It only takes a few minutes and is great P.R.).
    Also I am upfront and tell them I will fix it for such and such price. You can give them a discount, and still not be working for free.
    If it is not worth the time fixing it, I will tell them that, truthfully. Or I might say, "I don't have the time, but I can give that to one of the techs I work with."
    This, of course, means they will have to pay to get it fixed, since, to the other techs, they are just another customer. I don't really think of it as being a bad guy. Like you, I don't have the time to fix all the world's problems.
    Maybe this will help. Something I try to do when possible is let them do the work, not me. Tell them, "Take the cover off..-there are five or six screws on the bottom, and get my small tool bag from...(wherever)" That way I can take a quick look at it without wasting an hour, and tell them, "OK, here is the problem - You need to get this and this and this parts at (...Newark Electronics, Radio Shack, wherever..), and I will put them in for you." Then they can put it back together.
    Or when it is a software probelm, I tell them if they need to reload the program, rerun Windows setup, or whatever.
    The ones that are total "idiots" when it comes to technology are the biggest problem. It takes a little time to even tell them how to do it, even if I don't have to do it all myself. But as I mentioned before, it is good public relations, and often results in more business.

Oh, NitrOxide, you sound well-versed in computers, so since most companies won't hire a 16 year old, you might try putting an ad in the local paper. It will cost money, but depending on where you live, could bring in paying business. (You will have to find out what it costs and decide if it is reasonable to take the risk. When someone calls for help, don't even mention your age, unless they ask. Instead, let them know you have been working with computers for years and can fix the problem. That is all they care about, really. One way that might get you business is to work for lower prices than the regular shops.
    I have worked for others and worked for myself. Working for myself is better. I worked for years for others. they would charge the customer $130 an hour, but I only got about a fifth of that... Working for myself, I can charge a lot less and still make more money than I would have. Just an idea from someone who has been in the computer business since before there were home computers... <grins>

holy thread resurection!!!

dont expect any answers to your posts Dr. dan this thread is over 4 years old!!!!!