This is an interesting story which may save someone else a lot of time. A user called with a print problem. After verfiying that there was a problem, I started working backwards from the printer. First off someone had fooled around with the external DirectJet and damaged the parallel cable. After the cable was replaced, the test print from the DirectJet would work and any computer on the network, except this user's, could print to it - interestingly, the user could print to any network printer except the HP LJ II. Any other computer connected to the user's drop would print to the HP LJ II. DOS would print. Other printer drivers would send jibberish to the printer. I tried reinstalling drivers. I tried installing different HP drivers that were reverse compatible. Nothing worked. In the end, the problem was that the user had deleted the TEMP folder, C:\TEMP, although this was never confessed. Once the TEMP directory was restored, there was no printer problem. It seems the user had watched me fix shut-down problems by deleting temp files from the hard drive and had attempted to do this alone. Looking at the TEMP directory is not one of the first places I would have ever looked for resolving a printer problem - live and learn .........