Are we rich yet?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are we rich yet?

Question Are we rich yet?

Why is it that when you tell someone that you are in the computer business, they automatically think that you are rolling in the dough? I keep hearing about all these "dotcom" millionares but something just keeps evading my efforts. Are any of you guys rich yet?

------------------
    Need a website? We can help!
    protechpc.com
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

Cool

Hmmm...you're in a TECH forum asking about MONEY... Hmm. I can't remember the time I saw anything bigger than a $20. Granted, that may change (studying for my MCSE), but not before Christmas.

Everyone sees what tech shops charge "My GOD did you see those prices, hubby? I can't BELIEVE they would charge $40 an hour!" They think we get that. Hey...we're in the dungeon turning a screwdriver for 8-10 hours a day, at $40 an hour, right?

"Them danged ol' compoooters are just so danged ol' expensive!" Actually, folks, when you buy those E-Machines for $599 and get locked into a 56K dialup with crappy phone lines for 36 months at $25 a month ($900 more!), you're getting exactly what you pay for. The average Joe isn't aware of quality anymore, only price. I just priced the next system I want, quality parts, and market value today is damn near 4 G's! That's without monitor, peripherals..just a box. They think we're getting rich off of these $999 jobbies we're selling.

As far as dotcom millionaires, if you kept up with the flashes in the pan as of late, chances are it'd look like the 4th of July. Sure, they may make money quick and get out, but then they sink it into another venture and get drilled. play fistfu.wav The companies that are huge now DID make a splash as a startup, but remember for every Dell there are 57,983 companies that went belly-up with someone's life savings.

What, me get rich? I'll be happy to live in suburbia, drive my Blazer, have a hefty 401K with a few stocks (M$, anyone?) and do database overlays until carpal tunnel catches up with me.

------------------
    "Corporal! Go tell Ma to bring me my field knife!"
    "What would anybody want with a blind dog?"

Well, I guess i got lucky. I was doing tech work at a local computer store when I got a call from a Local Telecom company. I was getting tired of the day to day grind dealing with cust. problems, microsoft, etc.. and I wanted to change jobs. I wanted to learn something new.

Well anyways, The person on the other end of the call mentioned that he had spoken to me earlier and was "impressed with my motivation to learning" when I asked him what he was going to do with some special fiber optic terminators that he had special ordered.

I told him that I was interested in anything that I havenet been exposed to yet.

Since I had Tech Support EXp. he offered me a job at his company and assured me that I would make twice as much as I was already making.

To make a longer story not so long, I accepted and before I knew it, I was pulling in about 40k a year plus all benefits, 401k plan, incentive plans, life ins. stock options the works!!

I have only been with this company for about 4 months and I already know the business inside out. I am still learniing as much as I can and I am having as blast.

I know that 40k a year does not compare to some of you guys' salary but when you figure that I was making minimum wage about 4 years ago, this is a major improvement.

I only have an Assoc degree in Electronics and am on my way on getting A+, Network+ and Mcse in W2k. The company is paying for all of the courses and exams. The catch is that I have to sign a 2 year contract! No problem here.

I was however making a **** load of money when I was bartending through my college days.
    hey its me again!

sprkymrk

Well I make about 37k plus (and I mean a BIG +) bennies. But not as a tech/admin. I am an electrician here in eastern Iowa working for the state gov't. I would like to make the switch to Network Admin full time but entry level pay stinks. I have been running my own PT business repairing PC's out of my basement and have my MCP, and I run a very small (21 Computers) network for an art lab. While 37k is not a lot, it is very good for this part of Iowa, and when you factor in my 3 weeks vacation, 12 holidays, 15 sick days plus half a dozen other odd days off with pay along with paid insurance and a nice retirement... Would you take a 7 grand cut on salary alone to break into the field full time? I should have started in computers a long time ago I guess.

------------------
    Sparky Mark
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Gumby

I only make about $26,000 a year as a bench/onsite tech, BUT MY GOD THE BENIES!. I have a 2000 model company truck, I get computer parts dirt cheap, my buys me lunch and diner often (and he has good taste too), like two weeks ago he gave me (yes gave) an IBM netfinity server! Just cause we got a few in and I was drooling over it. He also gave me a Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player because we got one in and we dont carry those. If I need time off for something, he always says yes and if I need to take my company truck on a weekend trip he is totaly cool with that. He even bought a car for one of the other techs because the guy was in bad finacial straits (the guy had been with us for a week). The best part is he is really more of a tech than a business owner/manager type so he understands the day to day grind of teching. So while I may not be a rich I definitly have the coolest gig in town.

Gumby

Gumby

I only make about $26,000 a year as a bench/onsite tech, BUT MY GOD THE BENIES!. I have a 2000 model company truck, I get computer parts dirt cheap, my buys me lunch and diner often (and he has good taste too), like two weeks ago he gave me (yes gave) an IBM netfinity server! Just cause we got a few in and I was drooling over it. He also gave me a Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player because we got one in and we dont carry those. If I need time off for something, he always says yes and if I need to take my company truck on a weekend trip he is totaly cool with that. He even bought a car for one of the other techs because the guy was in bad finacial straits (the guy had been with us for a week). The best part is he is really more of a tech than a business owner/manager type so he understands the day to day grind of teching. So while I may not be a rich I definitly have the coolest gig in town.

Gumby

Gumby

Gumby

Question

Why do people think that people working with computers make a lot? Well on TV here there are atleast 5 different commericals for schools saying things like get your A+ certification and you can be makeing $40+ a year. Or saying how people in the computer field are in such demand. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm currently A+ certified, HP certified in printers (currently working on computers and laptops) and about 10 misc certifications from things like brainbench or Packard Bell/NEC and I don't make even half that amount these people talk about.

------------------
    .·°Danrak°·.
    The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better" so I installed Linux
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

NorthStar

I agree the public thinks that Computer Techs make alot.I only make $18,000 a year and I manage a computer store as well do all inside tech work we have outside guys from other locations but where I am at I am usually the only person inside most of the time. I get alot of 486's and Compaq, Packard Bells. That I can spend 2 or 3 hrs working on and we charge $75.00 a hr the people won't pay that so I usually only end up charging for 30 to 45 mins of it if not they refuse to pay.I have looked for better jobs just not come across any in my area adventually if I get the money I want to go get some certifications. But that means probally finding a part time miniuman wage job at a McDonalds on the weekend to be able to pay for it. I used to think there was alot of money in Hardware repair after doing it for a year now I know there isn't.ANd the demand is going away also alot of techs flooded with bad ones at that.My company has had some horrible technicians in the past.A couple were MCP's etc.

------------------
    Jesse

Jallentino

Man I feel lucky, I am a tech making mid-to high 50's. I am A+ but that was paid for too. Now, I would not consider that RICH by any standard, but it is pretty OK. I also get about 10g in overtime in addition to the salary, I put in a lot of hours. I know of tech/admin that are making 70's.

NorthStar

Yeah that is a good salary that is my goal someday is to make that kinda money.And hopefully have several certifications and experience with alot of things.I will not be satisfied till I am there.

------------------
    Jesse

I would be if I hadn't lost my shirt (and a whole bunch more) through two divorces and $100,000.00 in student loans to pay back...LOL
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Darren Wilson

I wish I was on some of your wages!!!!!!!!!!

Then I would be rich

I get paid £14k a year for the same as what most of you are doing. I may start invoicing Scott for the help I do on here JOKE!!!!

No Money to me isn't the be all & end all I just enjoy my job. Although in hindsight a nice big fat wad of cash at the end of the week wouldn't go amiss!!!!

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

NorthStar

Yep Darren I agree I like what I do as long as I can live doing it I will probally do it.
    Money is not everything I know lots of people who make alot of $$ but hate there job that would be worse than liking what I do and not making much cash.

------------------
    Jesse

Mr.James

Talking

I'm on £19k a year, that works out to be $27010.4. With current tax levels and stuff I get £1224 ($1740.0384) a month to spend.

I'm 23, Live with my parents and pay them £100 ($142) a month living & food inclusive. That leves me with £1124 ($1598) a month or £281 ($400) a week to spend on whatever I like.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Mr.James