[RESOLVED] smoke those old Pentiums

Thread: [RESOLVED] smoke those old Pentiums

Cable Modem Tech

Post smoke those old Pentiums

Hi there all first off I want to say that WINDRIVERS RULZ!!!......ok..
    does anyone out there like to fiddle around with the old pentium processors? i have a bunch of them around and in my 3 current systems and really enjoy overclocking them...I have a 166 running at 200 and a 133 running at 180, however due to the limitations of my motherboard. this is all the faster I can go... Just curious how fast anyone has ever gotten one to run stable without all that neasy smoke...... TOXICLOWS

------------------
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to use the net and he will not bother you for weeks.

I've got a board on my test bench running a P-75 at 120MHz. I tried taking it up to 133MHz, but the board wouldn't even power up. :-) Running at 120MHz has been very stable, and not even a sign of getting too hot.

I've overlocked a P200MMX up to 225MHz some time ago. It run smoothly, without any problems. That's the best I could do to improve it's speed.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

233mmx @ 262 stable for more than a year. tried @ 300, it would post, but got too many errors in windows to be of any use.

3fingersalute

I had a P5/120 running at 133, Lame, I know but thats all it would do. At 150 it would blue-screen and give illegal ops like they were going out of style. At 166 it wouldn't even post.....I never could seem to get P5 chips to overclock much. Those AMD's however.........!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Micrsoft will crash on the way there!!!

Wink

my server is a pentium 233 oc to 266 stable. i could prolly push it further, but my mobo doesnt support of 75MHz. ;\

------------------
    prompt$p$g [dos = elite]
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

Prime

I still laugh when I remember my friends exact words...

"... crank it up till it just won't boot!... "

Macgyver_111

Run my old P-200mmx at 233
    and i know this i pathetic but a 486 25 at 33 and a 33 at 40 lol

Cable Modem Tech

Talking

I like the one about the 486 now that is funny.. i never even thought about OC'ing one of those

------------------
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to use the net and he will not bother you for weeks.

Cable Modem Tech

Talking

I like the one about the 486 now that is funny.. i never even thought about OC'ing one of those

------------------

Mr.James

Got a 133 up to 225. (Yes I was bored)
    Used to work for an electronics company so I had loadsa spares to play with. I took the heat sink from an early Compaq P2 (The ones without fans) coated the chip and half the main board in this strange superconductive gel stuff. To finish, the fan from a psu whacked on top. I also upped the cpu voltage.
    It worked fine and 100% stable for about two months. Then it just died. Opened it back up ripped it to bits. In the end it was the zif socket that had melted.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Mr.James

MTUHyperTech

I've got a 486 dx/100 running at 120mhz. Kinda sorry, but it still works well as a word processor and internet box on my network.

Lowen SoDium

Red face

I once got a Cyrix PR 133 which runs at 120 mhz I think, to run at a real speed of 245. That sucker got hot, but it ran stable.... for a cyrix any ways....

pga

"Old" in computer language=6 to 18 months

I have 2 and have built 6 more 300Mhz Celerons with ABit Motherboards that have been running for about 2 years at 450MHz. (I only built them for friends, the average customer would not understand the concept and I was afraid they may think I was ripping them off).

I also have some 566MHz Celerons running at 950MHZ (Again with ABIT boards) without a problem....

but i have come to the conclusion that with todays Computers/OS's/Hardware/Prices... overclocking is no longer worth the effort.

When I/we overclocked 300's to 450's, we were ideally saving a ton of cash... now it seems as though it is not worth it...

Next year of course could be a different story with the new P4's... that may be the next level for over-clockers!!