[RESOLVED] Cable vs. DSL vs. satelite price? speed?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Cable vs. DSL vs. satelite price? speed?

CREEPINGDEATH

Post Cable vs. DSL vs. satelite price? speed?

The title says it all what are your thoughts ?

sorry if this has come up in the forums before.

------------------
    ~If you can't walk the walk don't even try to talk the talk~

Question

I have DSL right now and wouldn't change it. No problems at all and fast. I have heard of some problems with GTE/Verizon DSL though. I'm currently thinking of bumping up the speed but for a 768/768 connect was a crazy price from my work, might have to switch to earthlink. Anyone got any feedback from earthlink?

Cable modems, well the speed varies and isn't avaible up in my area yet. I hear it is less secure then DSL, but it will most likely depend on who your through and your computer.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

iateyourcat

i first had cable through a lousy providor (premierhome.net who bought their service from snsnet.net). the highest download was 120KB/s and the average was 60KB/s when things were good. as even more people came online i wound up getting bumped 6-10 times/day and had download speeds of as low as 12KB/s. i dumped them for Bellsouth.net and I Love It. if the other side of the connection can offer it I pull down at 180KB/s. unreal tournament averages 30-90ms pings for about 10 servers that are regularly populated and when UT first queries the database i'll bet there's over 150 servers listed under 100ms. and for me, UT is the litmus test. DSL baby. all the way.

------------------

=-iateyourcat-=

Red face

Verizon is supposedly great service....for about a month. Then you encounter your first little problem, which means about a week of downtime. Earthlink is supposedly very good...you can check some (honest and true, not like the ones on the company's website ) customer testimonials and background info on plenty of the bigger providers http://www.dslreports.com .

Personally, l'd prefer DSL over cable anyday...cable in my area boasts speeds "up to 2mb", but in reality you'll always end up getting about 1/4th or 1/5th that. Satellite seems very cool, but in my area they have to mount a 20 foot pole to your roof, and after giving them all your money, they take your first born child and a kidney. Ok, maybe not, but it is very expensive..
    A friend recently changed his AOL to the "BYO access plan" and cancelled his second phone line, and is now paying less for a nice aDSL 768 package than he was for his 1.5k IAP transfers.

------------------
    Either drop the Windows out of your computers, or drop your computers out of the windows.
    BreakWindows
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

JKSteger

DSL from BellSouth. I have hit up to 140KB/sec download before. On the bandwith meters it usually states about 750kbps.

It Rocks...

I might be the rare person who is going to love cable. I am hitting 140+ on my downloads. Although, cable is new to the area and I know I will eventually get slow downs, I am not anticipating much because of where I am in town. I know cable is shared bandwith within a node but I also know that where I am is scantly populated and the rest is buisnesses. By the time it does slow down I will beable to get DSL. I pay $40 a month which is break even when I get rid of the old ISP and extra phone line. MSN speed test is between T-1 and off the chart!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

I have cable service and love it I get at lease 200Kbs on the average, no slower then 140Kbs. There are a lot of people in my area that has the cable service and I have no slow downs at all no matter what time of day.

I also work a the cable modem people and know what the network is capable of doing when there done with the upgrade witch will make it even better. I have also done testes with a DSL and Cable modem The Cable Modem was 2 times faster on the net then DSL. Just thought I would share

------------------
    When all else fails jiggle the cable and reboot
    When all else fails jiggle the cable and reboot.

Cool

DSL all the way, getting 1.4mps down after some tweaks, using SNET here in Connecticut

------------------
    What do you think this is ? The Holiday Inn...
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

Llanelli

Have to agree with the general sentiment...

I HAD a Cable Modem here in TN for a while, but now EVRYONE, (even my Gramma!) has one, and it is SLOW!! The provider hasn;t spent anything on upgrading the lines, adding more T3's or whatever, and around 7:30 till about 12:00 when everyone's on, its easily as slow as AOL with a 56k modem.

Switched to Bellsouth DSL and love it. Donwloads high as 200k per, NO packet loss in games, never kicks off.

I WAS on @Home through Rogers, but I hated it! First run through, they installed a bad NIC in my machine, and it took them 10+ weeks to come out and change it (after the supervisor called me a liar, and told me that if it wasn't a NIC problem, they were going to charge $200 for the call...after I already paid $200 for them to do an improper setup). I cancelled my services after a few months (I went to microwave TV, and didn't want to pay the extra $20/month for not having cable TV, and having cable internet). Got back on (after building manager first time me, "Sure, put up a dish!" then later say, "Um...no...take that dish down...")...found their service to be extremely slow. Every time I called, they said, "Oh, our server is down...give it 24 hours." 120 hours later, "Give it 24 hours..."
    So, I cancelled, and went back on regular dial-up internet (which is actually faster, even though I'm connecting at 31200bps because of crappy lines in the building).
    Our entire building is going on microwave TV, and the microwave company offers mmw internet, for $15 cheaper than cable and DSL offers...so, I'm gonna try it out.
    Oh, DSL isn't available in my apartment...even though we live in a major centre...our building is on the most northen end of the city, and is more than 2k from the switch.

------------------
    ***the Beast
    - Fate drove me here...then told me to get out of the car...
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

Originally posted by Danrak:
    I have DSL right now and wouldn't change it. No problems at all and fast. I have heard of some problems with GTE/Verizon DSL though. I'm currently thinking of bumping up the speed but for a 768/768 connect was a crazy price from my work, might have to switch to earthlink. Anyone got any feedback from earthlink?

Cable modems, well the speed varies and isn't avaible up in my area yet. I hear it is less secure then DSL, but it will most likely depend on who your through and your computer.
    I have DSL with Earthlink. I really have no problems with it other than the set-up time. Take the date they promise you and add about two to three weeks. Be prepared to have them come out to your house and check it at the box. I called and said mine didn't work, they tried to blame it on my connecton in the house. They finnaly came out and checked the box out side. THEIR FAULT. They also have supposedly upped the e-mail address to six. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Danrak:

I have DSL with Earthlink. I really have no problems with it other than the set-up time. Take the date they promise you and add about two to three weeks. Be prepared to have them come out to your house and check it at the box. I called and said mine didn't work, they tried to blame it on my connecton in the house. They finnaly came out and checked the box out side. THEIR FAULT. They also have supposedly upped the e-mail address to six. Hope this helps.

jimmr13

Cool

We have a T1 connection at work, And at home its netzero (dialup) I have ordered DSL from Free DSL and i waiting for the install.
    T1-is fast, my old cable modem was Fast but the Cable was a rip off ( they can't keep the billing strait) So I'll Just have to wait for my DSL. Free service just buy the modem.

------------------
    If all else fails read the directions !

I have Cable through Time Warner and it is awesome. My node is setup for 500 users and currently has less than 50 connected, I get more than 2mb/s no complaints. When it gets bottlenecked I will switch to DSL (I now work for Verizon and can get a great deal) but for now I'm very satisfied.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Arrow

Well now I must say, I have first hand seen what Verizon does ot its customers. Just had a call that a person had Verizon installed on their computer. He called because he needed novell netware drivers. Somehow verizon conviced this kid that he needed novell drivers to get dsl to work.
    I don't think it was hard for them to get him of that though. It took almost 20 minutes for him to get to the reason why he needs a network card installed. He wasn't the brightest of the bunch.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.