A question about BIOS chips...

Thread: A question about BIOS chips...

Post A question about BIOS chips...

I have a BIOSTAR M7MKA motheboard. I was flashing the bios when our apartment endured a massive power surge. (I know, what are the odds, REALLY!?)

Anyways, the board is still good, in fact, one of my favorites. What I want to know, is would it be possible to just find a bios chip from an identical board, (A dead board where the bios chip is still good) and swap that into the old board?

In my guesses, I figure on bootup, the board would boot fine as long as it was an identical chip.

On a side note, would anyone happen to have one of these boards they'd be willing to sell?

Thanks

-Anth3m-

Yes that would definatly do the trick, however have you considered your bios chip is probably ok and just needs a good reflash, If you have another mobo about you could try a hot swap and reflash that way, Ruslan will probably pick up on this thread and point you in the right direction for bios fixes and such. Who knows perhaps the mobo you have has a bootblock and you can rescue it with a boot floppy and the flash utility and .rom/.bin file. I am not familiar with Biostar boards but at http://www.sysopt.com/articles/recoverbios/index.html is a fairly good read about bios recovery.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

[quote]Originally posted by Silverman:
    Yes that would definatly do the trick, however have you considered your bios chip is probably ok and just needs a good reflash, If you have another mobo about you could try a hot swap and reflash that way, Ruslan will probably pick up on this thread and point you in the right direction for bios fixes and such. Who knows perhaps the mobo you have has a bootblock and you can rescue it with a boot floppy and the flash utility and .rom/.bin file. I am not familiar with Biostar boards but at http://www.sysopt.com/articles/recoverbios/index.html is a fairly good read about bios recovery.

I would point him to my own topic with BIOS recovery tips,but I cann't get it...Looks like something wrong with Windrivers forum's seach engine...
    Probably I should have to recreate my topic again...

Well,anyways,this is will be update to my topic...
    It's not nesessary to find exactly same motherboard for reflashing BIOS chip. Almost any motherboard can be turned into universal flash programmer (ASUS motherboards are preferrable and the best here,though).
    You just only should use new uniflash utility in expert mode and choose an option reflash all,including boot block. That utility can even reflash "uknown type" flash chips (chips with lost manufacturer's ID info bytes).

Sorry,guys, I too busy at work now. I will post bit later today...