One of my bosses got a MS Project file in the mail and wanted me to print it out for him (we don't have Project installed on all our machines.) When I tried to open it in Project 98, I got a message that said "This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Project. You can download a converter off the web after which you will be able to open the file" and it offers to take you to the web site automatically.

However, when you <a href="http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/9798/proj98converters.aspx" target="_blank">get there</a> it says:

[quote]You have reached this page because you opened a Microsoft Project 2000 or a Microsoft Project 2002 file using Microsoft Project 98. In fact, a converter is not required to open Microsoft Project 2000 or Microsoft Project 2002 files in Microsoft Project 98.<hr></blockquote>

Good, I think to myself. Then it says...

[quote]To open this file using Microsoft Project 98, the person who created the file needs to use Microsoft Project 2000 or Microsoft Project 2002 to save the file to the Microsoft Project 98 file format. Microsoft Project 2000 and Microsoft Project 2002 supports opening from and saving to the Microsoft Project 98 file format, to make it easier for users to share files in mixed-version environments, and to eliminate the need to download a separate converter.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for nothing, MicroSHAFT!