Just Blatently Stupid!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Blatently Stupid!

Post Just Blatently Stupid!

Okay, I work in a rather large company and we pull about 1-2 million a day in sales. Computers are just one of the thousands of things we sell. I am in head of our Customer Care on the web and I work emails and chat with customers online. I got an email at work this morning that was just one line and one sentence. Sometimes, needless to say, I feel stupid after talking to these people.

Whole Email:

Does this computer, AMD Athlon 1.3GHz, have a motherboard?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Just answer back with a response that a motherboard is also known as a "computer won't work unless everything is somehow connected to it board" and see if the person get's the hint.
    God is all knowing, I am just human.

Smurf Village : 3rd house on the left next to the wishing well

One word "d'uh".

I say anyone thinking about buying computers should go through a interview followed by a closed book exam. Only then if they pass they should be allowed to buy a computer. It would sure as hell cure most of the user problems out there.

PS Dont suppose this was the goldeneye kid that dropped u this e-mail ????

Cheers
    Papa "On high alert" Smurf
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Codename "PapaSmurf" 007 :

Past Missions : Protecting the world from the Goldeneye Kid - Status Complete
    Undercover as a International Playboy photographer : Status Complete
    Bodygaurd for the Victoria Secrets girls : On going job

[quote]Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
    <strong>
    I say anyone thinking about buying computers should go through a interview followed by a closed book exam. Only then if they pass they should be allowed to buy a computer. It would sure as hell cure most of the user problems out there.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

But if that were true, I wouldn't have as much work to do as I do now

[quote]Originally posted by aplustech:
    <strong>

But if that were true, I wouldn't have as much work to do as I do now </strong><hr></blockquote>

How about a 10 min computer program test. The program would have questions and little pictures of computers and its parts. And when the mouse hovers over the picture it tells the user what that hardware is. Then have it go to another screen and its a pig pitcure puzzle where they have to take the pictures they learned and put a computer together with the puzzle. (Kinda like a big first grade child computer game)
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

[quote]Originally posted by Daemon:
    <strong>

How about a 10 min computer program test. The program would have questions and little pictures of computers and its parts. And when the mouse hovers over the picture it tells the user what that hardware is. Then have it go to another screen and its a pig pitcure puzzle where they have to take the pictures they learned and put a computer together with the puzzle. (Kinda like a big first grade child computer game)</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a nice thought and I have thought about it myself but in all actuality some people just really don't want to learn this and WANT to be ignorant.

In some ways I can understand. I know quite a bit about cars but if I didn't, I'd be pretty pissed if someone made me pick the alternator or starter out before I could drive one off the lot.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

Whole Email:
    Does this computer, AMD Athlon 1.3GHz, have a motherboard?

Response:
    Yes it does, but it seems the fatherboard is corrupt please return your computer immediately!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

[quote]Originally posted by aplustech:
    <strong>
    In some ways I can understand. I know quite a bit about cars but if I didn't, I'd be pretty pissed if someone made me pick the alternator or starter out before I could drive one off the lot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, but I once had to change my m8's wheel for him when I was cadging a lift because he didn't know how to and the recovery service were going to take an hour to get there.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

He was probably expecting to find a picture of his mother if he opened the box.
    Last edited by Orangeman; November 27th, 2002 at 11:01 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Lightbulb

I won't say that the customer is stupid (in this case) - he is just plain ignorant.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I don't think the person is dumb or ignorant. They're just new to computers, and have a LONG way to go. Getting back to the car subject: does your car have a vacuum pump? Maybe it does, maybe not. To a car mechanic it may sound obsurd if you asked him.

Maybe the vacuum pump isn't as important to a car as a motherboard is to a PC, but just the same.

my car could do with a vacuum - it's filthy!

bit like having loads of crumbs and stuff in your keyboard....

Originally posted by rusabus
    I don't think the person is dumb or ignorant. They're just new to computers, and have a LONG way to go. Getting back to the car subject: does your car have a vacuum pump? Maybe it does, maybe not. To a car mechanic it may sound obsurd if you asked him. Maybe the vacuum pump isn't as important to a car as a motherboard is to a PC, but just the same.
    No, it's not the same at all. That's like asking "does my car have an engine block?". Of course, electric cars don't, but that's beside the point.

It bothers me when people make some crazy comparison and then say "same concept". Well yes, it's the same concept, but in practice it's completely different.

And for the record, my car does not have a vacuum pump.

Originally posted by Aaron Cake
    No, it's not the same at all. That's like asking "does my car have an engine block?". Of course, electric cars don't, but that's beside the point.

It bothers me when people make some crazy comparison and then say "same concept". Well yes, it's the same concept, but in practice it's completely different.

And for the record, my car does not have a vacuum pump.
    So people are to supposed to be experts and know the in and out workings off all things? If that were the case, nobody would have jobs.

You go to people who work on computers to fix or answer questions on your motherboard.

You go to people who work on cars to fix or answer questions on you vacuum pump.

I applaud the fact that you know everything in the world there is to know. Its a shame you can't learn from it.

Many computer users are ignorant and/or stupid. Ignorant in the fact that they know very little about their computers besides "push button, turn on" and are stupid because they desire to learn nothing more than that, even if it makes their life easier. Even more stupid is when they blame the computer or you as the tech for their ignorance. They love ignorance because it is easy.

Here's a story to add.

Last year when I worked at a local PC repair shop we had an elderly woman buy a computer from us. About two months later it came in with about four different viruses on it. One in particular was the W95.Hybris.Gen that comes in an e-mail about Snow White & The Seven Dwarves. We had sold Norton AV 2001 with the system and lo and behold NAV 2001 was removed and MCAffee from 1997 was installed. Aparently the user has a neighbor that "knows" about computers. We reformated her computer and for about three months she was very happy. Then, we got a the call. It seems that her computer had problems again. We got the computer in and guess what? The exact same viruses on the computer and the exact same MCAffee from 1997 on the computer. This time the expert neighbor came in also. We told the expert neighbor and the lady about what the problem was and how to prevent it. We got the usual feigning nod of acknowledgment and sent them on their way. I have no idea if the same problem reoccurred because I got tired of the place and quit about a month later.