"Why should I buy a computer it'll be out of date tomorrow"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Why should I buy a computer it'll be out of date tomorrow"

Angry "Why should I buy a computer it'll be out of date tomorrow"

List of dumb things people try to say --

question...
    "Why should I buy this? It'll be out of date tomorrow"

answer...
    you buy a (car,tv,microwave,stove,frig) don't you? won't they have a new model out next year?

question...
    "My icons aren't where they use to be, nothing is where it use to be, I like how my old computer was set up, what did you do?"

answer...
    Go buy a new anything and ask why everything isn't in the same spot. (good example -- a car's gas cap...in the same spot as your old car? not always!)

please feel free to add to this list!!!

I can't stand people like that.
    They always whine but end up with one anyway. Ijust a reason to be negative or something.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Angry

i hate the guys that come into the shop and ask if we have a 56k modem or a 52x cd rom or whatever and then complain because they can get one $10 cheaper on the net
    take care and tempt not the fates

I really hate the Tech wanabes, they come in, gab at the counter for like 20 mins.. (well i have this problem, how do you install that etc..) then they saunter off saying how your too expnesive and that they can do it themselves for cheaper.

I always laugh when they come back, part bought from store XYZ that is like 5 buck cheaper with problems. Usualy they fried the part, so we charge them time to diagnose, cost of new part and new cost for installation
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

[quote]Originally posted by Buddy Holly:
    <strong>i hate the guys that come into the shop and ask if we have a 56k modem or a 52x cd rom or whatever and then complain because they can get one $10 cheaper on the net</strong><hr></blockquote>

I walk away from people when they say that.

Easy wat to kill that.

Because if you wait until tomorrow, it'll be out of date the next day and so on.
    It has happened, it will happen. When do you want yours to be out of date?

---Or---

Why should I buy it now? In a month it will be $200 less.

Because, then you can but a machine then for the same price that a month later will be $200 less.

99% of the time, that shut them up and they bought something that day.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

My favorite is people calling to ask "How much do you charge for service call/repair/install part/etc..." and when you tell them the charge they say "Well my friend Bob knows alot about computers and he said it should only cost this much!"

Well then let PC Bob do it and call us when he screws it up and our rates will suddenly go up!!!!!!

Thing is, buying a computer now a-days well not be out of date.

This phrase was really used about 5 -10 years ago when everything started to advance in computer technology. Now if you are above the 1ghz line you are fine. Theres not much notice above that to a normal user.

I dont get why they say that.. Maybe all they see and hear is mhz and ghz nothing more.

Oh johny did you hear that intel came out with a 4ghz last night..

Nope I didnt, darn now my 3.6ghz system is out of date..

[quote] "Why should I buy this? It'll be out of date tomorrow"
    <hr></blockquote>
    The same argument can be used for bathing, yet I highly recommend that too!
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

How about when people come in and ask for a "cheap used 19" monitor." Yah, i've got one and I'm just dyeing to get rid of the thing. "You got any used state-of-the art stuff I can buy, cause I'm too cheap to buy the thing new." Another real common one: "Do you guys have any cheap small used hard drives, say 20 or 30 gigs?" yah, right. cant get rid of 'em.

We have people come in asking for used floppy drives, used mice, used keyboards, and used modems.

99.9% of the people who get a new modem ($29) are doing so because the modem got killed by a surge. Mice ($8) and keyboards ($12) quit working through abuse and spillage. Floppy drives ($20) quit because someone rips the disk out. Seldom if ever do we even have working used parts of these types.

Customer: I need a internet for my modium. It is a gateway.

[Trans: They have a Gateway PC and need a modem ]

Us: PCI or ISA?

Them: Uh...... Ummm........

Us: How fast is your computer?

Them: It is a Plentium

Us: [[ So it tkae PCI]] Alright, your PC needs a PCI modem. They are $29.

Them: Any used modiums?

Us: Uh... No.... All used modems are usually bad.

Them: Uh, OK... [[leaves]]

Later that day, we get phone calls from the same guy, asking for used modems. Since we are listed under several different names in the phone book, we get called several times.

Couple of days later, we get called, same guy. "This used modem I bought (i.e from either a pawnshop or some junk dealer) doesn't work. It is your fault."

The really sad thing is that this happens about every couple weeks, with different people.

[quote]Originally posted by APCSI:
    "Well my friend Bob knows alot about computers and he said it should only cost this much!"
    <hr></blockquote>

This has got to be my personal favorite.

I am thinking of starting a computer repair shop and naming it "My Friend Bob"

Bob is an idiot, if he knew anything, you wouldn't be asking me !!!!!!!!!!!
    "We have assumed control"

The best is when they start quoting the advertised prices from the TV. "But it's a Pentium 4 for only 899 dollars". Me "Too bad it's the slowest Pentium 4 they make, half the memory it needs, slow hard drive, slow memory, 15 inch crappy monitor, terrible video card, plain label CD burner, on and on." Then I say "Those big companies that can afford to advertise on TV all the time save money by using the cheapest parts possible" "Would you buy a car with a slower but brand name engine, then have the rest of the car have the cheapest parts possible" To the car guy I know(I used to be a mechanic) "It's like putting a stock, but durable 350 chevy in an unmodified Yugo. I sware people think everything just plugs into the 'pentium 4' chip.
    "I don't think necessity is the mother of invention--invention...arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble." -Unknown

I had thought . .

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Tech NE
    The best is when they start quoting the advertised prices from the TV. "But it's a Pentium 4 for only 899 dollars". Me "Too bad it's the slowest Pentium 4 they make, half the memory it needs, slow hard drive, slow memory, 15 inch crappy monitor, terrible video card, plain label CD burner, on and on." Then I say "Those big companies that can afford to advertise on TV all the time save money by using the cheapest parts possible" "Would you buy a car with a slower but brand name engine, then have the rest of the car have the cheapest parts possible" To the car guy I know(I used to be a mechanic) "It's like putting a stock, but durable 350 chevy in an unmodified Yugo. I sware people think everything just plugs into the 'pentium 4' chip.

You mean it doesn't?

Internet helpdesk

Tell me if oyu have had this one:

Guy calls up says he just got a computer and got registered for internet.

He was referred by a "Friend"(remember this for later). I tell him, to click here and there..He says he can't. I say, Y not. He's says I cant, over and over. I say, OK.Newbie..
    Q: Is the PC on?
    A: No
    Q:Can you power it on for me?
    A:No
    Qo you know how to turn the computer on?
    A: No
    Q: Do you see the switch on the front?
    Q: Is it plgged in?
    Q: O..Okay..Can you plug it in?
    A:Nope
    Q: Why?
    A:Box in the way
    Q: What do you mean?
    A:The computer is in the box.
    (Thought I was upto date on this guy now)
    Q: ok, sir can you unpack the computer follow the instruction for setting it up and then calls us back(hopefully get someone else) and we can help you at that point?
    A:Nope, I don't see how to unpack the computer.
    Q: Do you have someone that can help you unpack it and maybe a little more experience with the computer to help get you going?
    A:Nope, Nobody likes me ( I Wonder why)
    Q: What about the friend that referred you to us?
    A:He won't help me, because he doesn't like me. He told me to call you guys.
    Q: We are stuck at this pont sir, is there anyone who can help you?
    Acome on, guess the answer here) Nope
    Q: Sir, we need to hang up at this point, but what you need to do is look for the paperwork on this coomputer, there should be a toll free number to call for support.
    A:O ya, I have that right here on the paperwork. Should I dial 1 before the 1-800. (not sure if this was a prank or not but the caller remained unlaughable throughtout the whole conversation.)
    Qactually reply) OK, SIr thanks for choosing us for your internet services, please clal back after the pc is powered up and ready for use. Have a good night.

Sorry so long, but do you see the lesson here?

Always ask, Is the computer out of the box yet? always follow up with, Is it powered on too?