I hate computers.

Thread: I hate computers.

Post I hate computers.

I'm fustrated and need to vent.....
    In my spare time I take old give-aways and clean them up, fix them and make them useable, then I donate them to charaty. It keeps me busy. So I was given two Packard Bell 266 mhz machines and I thought: GREAT! I can get these on the internet and donate them to the abused women's shelter for the lady's to look for jobs etc. Both are in great shape I wouldn't take mutch............. Yah, right I have tryed every DIMM I own. Nothing. So I emailed tech support thinking they will point me to a bios upgrade or something..... Wrong!!!! They email me back stating that finding memory is "hit and miss" and that I sould buy memory from them that is "tested and approved" for these computers. So I look up the memory on there sight and BAAHMM! they want $209 for a 64 meg stick. Whell there goes that Idea. Guess Ill find some other mother board that can take the part that runs memory that I can afford.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

That's a great thing your doing Theone DKS. Have you tried <a href="http://www.crucial.com?" target="_blank">www.crucial.com?</a> They sell their memory based on manufacturer and model type. Crucial's prices are reasonable and free shipping until 8/12. Plus you can't beat Crucial. Good luck!

I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

$209 for a 64MB stick????? Wow.

Yeah, try crucial, good memory for low prices. I can't imagine that PB used proprietary memory. I was able to get generic simms to work in an old PB I had. They used the cheapest stuff they could find for everything they ever made. Here is a question - what size sticks are you using? Maybe the mobo can't handle anything over a certain size stick and the limit is low. Just a guess. Barring that try using non-generic memory.

If you look carefully under the Packard Bell lable, you'll see the words Fisher Price. As for memory, you can use regular memory in a PB, just have to use PC 66 and it shouldn't be a problem.

You may need to use some parity stuff with them... Try a few good combo sticks in there while you're at it. I might remember them requiring two identical combo pieces...
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

different sizes, both 100 and 66, but i will try the websight though. I wish it was 72pin simms I can still find those.

You'll have better luck trying to find memory than you will replacing the MB. If you look before you touch, you'll probably notice as on most mass produced computers, the connectors for either power switches or some other connector is proprietary, meaning it only fits that box or type MB. Never go with mass produced computers, always buy clones
    I see dumb people, they are everywhere, They walk around like everyone else and they dont even know they are dumb.

SB no offence but I take what is given to me. I don't have money to buy parts to build new computers myself and give them away. I take old PC that no one wants anymore and fix them and give them to someone or organization that can use it.

None taken, but if you cant fix it, what's the point?
    I see dumb people, they are everywhere, They walk around like everyone else and they dont even know they are dumb.

Had to blow off some steam. I did get one running the other is dead in the water and is going to get striped and trashed.