Most Infected Files on a PC???

Thread: Most Infected Files on a PC???

Post Most Infected Files on a PC???

What's the most infected files you've ever seen on a system. I just finished running a virus scan and the guy had 20,000 files infected. Has anyone seen more?
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

Can't compare to number of files infected, but I can compare to how many virus's I found on one computer. A lady brought in an older celeron computer complaining she couldn't get on to her high speed internet anymore. I checked and for sure she couldn't. I tried a tester hd with winme on it and it worked fine. So that ruled out hardware. So then, just by chance, I ran Nav 2001 on her computer. It found 5 different viruses and 2500 infected files. It couldn't clean it all out though. Then I tried Inoculate. It again found the same 5. But couldn't repair them because the damage was already done. So, it was fdisk, format and win98 reinstall for $100.00. I didn't backup any of her info. She never had any antivirus software on there to begin with. So I sold her Nav 2001 for $65.00 retail package, loaded it up, customized the settings and made sure she had the latest updates at the time. I believe her computer was infected with 2 variants of HYBRIS, 2 different versions of SUB 7 Trojan and Back ORIFACE. NOT A PRETTY SIGHT!

When I took over admin duties at my current job on of the first things I did was update virus protection. I found multipal copys of Hybris on 60+ computers. Found a few others as well.

In a client's network of PCs and Macs (multimedia developers) I found close to a thousand instances of the same virus.

Of course, no updated antivirus protection was present on this network before I hooked up to it.

The interesting part was the fact that they asked me to scan all files *I* was bringing in to make sure none were infected and this prompted me to scan *their* machines in turn.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Registered User Lt. Cmdr. DaTaMan's Avatar

Lightbulb

I did a job for a rather large company that was hit by the love letter worm. The guy that brought it in had about 600 people in his address book. He had in turn given all 50 of the people in his dept a copy of his address book. The dimwit admin for the company had not updated NAV in about 3 months prior to the hit. I did a little simple math and found out that close to 30,000+ people recieved the letter.
    The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not *EDITED BY SOWULO*

I was pinigng and tracerting my network to see who was running IIS.

Will I checked my ip with ifconfig /all

And I punched in my ip into IE, will I thought it was my ip. I didnt punch mine in I used the WINS server oops. Anyways I found IIS running on the WINS server and found the startup page saying...

F*CK US GOVERNMENT

in all red and big letters

well any ways the virus that infected it got the whole IIS server. about 30,000 files of asp to htm to html
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

I recently built a new system for a friend who is going to college. A week later he calls me and says he's having problems. I tell him to bring the machine over and I'll have a look. I found 2300+ files infected with 17 different viruses.
    I was amazed at how he could get so many in just a week.

I don't run anti-virus sofware actively on any of my machines and have had a total of two viruses in the last 15 years, both from LAN parties. I just don't understand how people get so many, do they just open any e-mail they get and run attachments from people they never heard of???
    The Dragon has left the building.

I just fixed one of my friend's machines this weekend. He had 7 different viruses. He didn't have a virus scanner, so I'm not sure what he expected...
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

[quote]Originally posted by *MAYHEM*:
    <strong>I recently built a new system for a friend who is going to college. A week later he calls me and says he's having problems. I tell him to bring the machine over and I'll have a look. I found 2300+ files infected with 17 different viruses.
    I was amazed at how he could get so many in just a week.

I don't run anti-virus sofware actively on any of my machines and have had a total of two viruses in the last 15 years, both from LAN parties. I just don't understand how people get so many, do they just open any e-mail they get and run attachments from people they never heard of???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or download and open files with the virii in them.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

arokh

oh man, i feel like i'm writing a book tonite. all these posts bring up memories.

had a guy bring his pc in, he had 2 or 3 virus' which I cleaned up. but in the process i noticed he had some bad blocks on the HDD, so i told him he had some bad spots on the drive, and if i were him i'd back up my critical data (if possible), and replace the drive ASAP before something happens. He didn't heed my advice, said he'd be fine and picked up the machine.

About two weeks later he brings it back, guess what? the HDD is totally bad, won't even spin up. the work order said to do a data transfer and then install a new HDD. I hadn't looked at it yet, but two different technicians looked at it (to confirm, because this guy was already kind of a dink), both with the same conclusion (duh). They called him and told him what was up, and he immediately fired back with "WHAT? do you guys know what you are doing over there? i want another technician to look at it, isn't there another guy there during the week [me]? Yeah, have him look at it and call me. Well I looked at it, and I came up with the same conclusion, with a twist, it was almost like the heads had crashed so bad that they were actually pinching the platters so they wouldn't move, weird grinding halt. His response to me was "well, what you need to do is leave it plugged in for 24 hours, not turned on, just plugged in. Then turn it on and it should see the hdd". (smacking forehead here). I shot back with "it seems to me like you are having a hard time grasping the fact that you have a bad HDD. Get over it, there's nothing I can do for you. There are services such as ONTRACK that might be able to get your data for you, but there's nothing I can do, I don't have the tools. I told you two weeks ago to back up your data, I can't help you"

Well he decided to just pick up the machine and had the audacity to ask if there would be a charge. I billed him for 1/2 hour of what I called "wasted labor" haha

/|rokh

mpeton

We got hit by the Nimda virus pretty bad, and had a few computers with over 1,000 infected files, and our fileserver had over 24,000 infected.

------------------
    "I only know that I can change. Everything else just stays the same." -Staind, Fade
    "So now the waves they have subsided. And my soul is bleeding. I can't take away all the shame I feel, forgive me." -Staind, Change
    "I am nothing more than a little boy inside. That cries out for attention, though I always try to hide." "I'll do the right thing if the right thing is revealed. But it's always raining in my head" -Staind, Epiphany

QSECOFR

Moved to Tech Lounge.

------------------
    "I see dumb people....they're everywhere. They walk around like everyone else. They don't even know they're dumb"