Can they get any stupider?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can they get any stupider?

Post Can they get any stupider?

OK..well I'm not going to go into too much detail, but somehow today in school, during a project, we got into a discussion about how Bill Gates would benefit from low energy prices.

One of the people i was working with chimed in that energy is needed to make plastics, and that's what computers are made out of. I argued, I knew it was sort of unrelated, but that computer cases were made mostly of metal (the inside, the sides, the back, etc). I then told them that aluminum cases also exist. They went on, and insisted that computer cases were made entirely of plastic.

So I then said, "Microsoft doesn't make computers anyway..why would they care?". About 3 people I was working with went on to explain how Microsoft owned all the computer manufacturers, and that they had just purchased Compaq, Gateway, and Dell.

I can see not knowing something (Although thinking that MS owns Compaq Gateway and Dell is kind of sad, that the public thinks MS owns all computers) but to argue about it when you don't know, ehh, it makes no sense.

Anyone else ever run into people like this, that argue about points about computers that they know nothing about?

Yeah, I have had people who don't even know how to turn on a computer tell me about the "latest" virus threat that will be the end of us all. First, what makes you think that I don't already know about it, considering I work with computers daily? Secondly, the "Michaelangelo" virus is not a late breaking development! LOL

Fortunately the people I work with on a day-to-day basis know they know nothing about computers and come to me for help. Better than them trying to fix something themselves - that's why Ghost was invented I guess.

You know the users I love?

"AOL manufactured my computer."

I think they can get stupider... it's all just a matter of time.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Some people are just misinformed, others are just plain stuborn. They could insist that the moon is made of blue cheese, and you could have enough evidence and even have Neil Armstrong testify for you, and they still wouldnt believe you.

Kind of reminds me of my wife.

U.S. out of U.N.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

In the words of my father:
    "Don't confuse people with the facts! Their minds are already made up!

Had a salesman at Circuit City tell me that there was no such thing as a 7200 RPM Hard Drive. That was why they were called a Hard Drive they didn't spin!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

[quote]Originally posted by pakprotector:
    <strong>In the words of my father:
    "Don't confuse people with the facts! Their minds are already made up!

Had a salesman at Circuit City tell me that there was no such thing as a 7200 RPM Hard Drive. That was why they were called a Hard Drive they didn't spin! </strong><hr></blockquote>

err what's the minimum hiring age at CC? I think I can give those stupid salespeople a hand, I need some money

That is seriously really sad

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

That is the reason that Circuit City is my avoid at all cost store. What is even stranger it was a Western Digital HD. On the box it said something to the effect of ATA 66 7200 RPM 1/3 Faster than 5400 RPM. This guy just mumbled something and went to the back of the store, he didn't even put his employee mark on it to get credit for the sale!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Hey i do tech support for circuit city

and it is true hard drive dont SPIN, they are hard and big ..... j/k

i hate to say this but i had a circuit city rep call in for a customer and the customer had some crap where the computer would freeze and the rep kept telling the customer to just run the restore, for some reason alot of the circuit city people keep telling the customers to run restores when ever they have problems and i end up getting the customer and they start yelling at me like its my fault there computer wont boot now.
    but its all part of the job,

the funnies thing i had was i was helping this lady on the phone and i kept telling her where to go and she was asking me how can i see her computer from that far away... at first i was like WTF????
    but then started laughing

MWAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAH

Hello Hello, Yes hello to me and hello to you, I am the Crap On and i live in a zoo and its such a friendly old zoo and such fun you'll enjoy yes you will everyone, every two will enjoy it, every three, every four. so come visit my zoo and come up on four.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

But sometimes it all works out well, take last night for example....

Customer: "Evening, sorry to call you out so late at night, but my son urgently needs the computer to do his coursework. You charge a bit extra for out of hours right?"
    Outcoded: "Yeah, but not 'til 2am, doubt it'll take that long."
    C: "Fancy a beer, coffee anything?"
    O: "Coffee pls (driving)"

I take a look at his puter while he gets the coffee.

C: "Whatya reckon then?"
    O: "Big Virus hit, needs reinstalling."
    C: "Serious?"
    O: [explains reinstalling, hooks up zip drive, copies important stuff as directed by customer] fdisk/mbr format, reinstall using Ghost disks I made for him a few weeks back, installs camera and cordless mouse, reloads important stuff]. "All done"
    C: "Gr8, what do I owe you?" (Love it when you don't have to ask for the money).
    O: [Presents bill]
    C: "You sure that's enough? You've come out in the middle of the night?" (This guy is now a priority customer)
    O: "Yeah sure"
    C: "Well take a couple of beers anyway."

He didn't know a lot about computers, he knew it so he didn't argue, he was just glad of the help - that's my sort of customer
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

well i think the best things i have heard are "my cup holder is broken" and "where is the anykey"

but i have also met ppl that are that dumb

"like i want one of ur 2001 model computers"
    How do I set my laser printer to "stun"?
    I can't back up my hard drive, there's no reverse button.

You can't leave out the calls where you ask the to turn off the computer because it locked up, then you say it turn it back on. Then 5 seconds later they say it's still there!

Hmmm...a hard boot like that should take at least 2 minutes with this machine...turns out they turned off the MONITOR!!! monitor...computer, I always thought they were the same thing...but when you say turn off you Hard Drive, THEN they turn off the computer

HHeeheheehhhoohohoohehe....*wheeez!*
    ...I don't get it...

Cool

As someone more clever than me once wrote:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

[quote]Originally posted by Geek #1:
    <strong>As someone more clever than me once wrote:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then someone slapped it on a t-shirt and made a fortune!!

Wish I had thought of it first...
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

[quote]Originally posted by Connman:
    <strong>

Then someone slapped it on a t-shirt and made a fortune!!

Wish I had thought of it first...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have that shirt!

Keep in mind, inspite of companies and such always making things easier to use and simpler to operate the world is always working on a better idiot!
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

Wink

Yes they can get stupider.

Me: Go ahead and turn off the computer.
    User: What do you mean by off.
    Me: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    I know enough to know that there is alot that I don't know.