More RAM or faster RAM

Thread: More RAM or faster RAM

Question More RAM or faster RAM

I have some old stuff that I'm trying to make use of. An Amptron 598 board with a k6/2 400 chip. right now i have 64mb of pc100 ram, i also have a 32mb pc66. Would it help or hinder to put the pc66 ram in?

------------------
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson

You will not beable to mix the speeds. You can't run the Pc66 at 100mhz. Get some new stuff. Maybe you can work a trade with someone.
    hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?

I meant running the pc100 at 66mhz. I havent tried it but think you can do that.

------------------
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson

Some of PC66 memory sticks even can run at 100MHz. And also may be,what PC100 memory cann't working at 100 MHz.It's depends from manufacturer of DIMM module.If DIMM well-made or brand one,there is no points to worry so about quality.
    Try to use it and good luck!

Originally posted by GimpBizkit:
    I meant running the pc100 at 66mhz. I havent tried it but think you can do that.

You definatly can run pc100 at a 66 bus speed, but how are you planning on running your 400?

hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?

you can't run a K6-2 400 with a 66mhz bus. (well you can but why would you?!?!?! getting the cpu back up to 400mhz would require unnecesary overclocking!)

Darren Wilson

If I remember correctly, you can actually use 66Mhz SDRAM on the PC-Chips boards as they have a jumper setting for changing the DRAM speed from CPU BUS to 66Mhz, even if you are running a 100Mhz Bus. I wouldn't recommend doing this though as your system would suffer badly in performance. PC100 SDRAM is cheap enough nowadays you may as well be better off buying another 64Mb of it. Before it is killed off.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website