[RESOLVED] ?th annual Worst Computer Awards - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] ?th annual Worst Computer Awards

If this is going to become a yearly contest I think we should choose computers manufactured within the last year. By these rules I would have to say the worst were the ALL USB no other ports machines built by Compaq and Gateway. I lost track of how many adapters I sold for parallel printer and scanners. And if you want to use that special PS/2 mouse or Keyboard you love FORGET IT!

disarm143

Well Ive got an old HP at home. pentium II 266Mhz. i believe it has 180MB RAM. Dont really remember. last time i turned it on it was like there wasnt any ram in it. Black screen. Normally i would have gotten to the bottom of it but i quit caring because it is a piece of garbage.

------------------

ad3p4

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by bohr:
    And the Award for the Worst Computer goes tooooooo...... <drum roll as the envelope is opened>..... Hewlitt Packard!!!!!

for their overtaking buyout of Compaq!!!!!!!

Now, 2 crap computer companies will merge together to form as one helluva super crap computer company!!!!!!

</font>
    Wait a minute...

If the desktop PCs from both these companies are eventually fused into a single package, maybe we'll start seeing a "full" PC with actual usable slots and expandability options!!!

Ahhh, I'm just daydreaming

------------------
    "Expect the unexpected"
    ------------------

Garak

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by ad3p4:
    Wait a minute...

If the desktop PCs from both these companies are eventually fused into a single package, maybe we'll start seeing a "full" PC with actual usable slots and expandability options!!!

Ahhh, I'm just daydreaming

</font>
    RAFLMFAO!!!! good onw Adept!!!

------------------
    If You Cant Beat It, Bin It....

Just A Thought

Solkanar

Thumbs down

You know what I hate? Crappy support sites. Dell, and Creative stick out in my mind as being some of the worst to find drivers. Whoever created the drivers page for all those soundblasters we love should be forced to use tennismans pc until 2008. Dell has everything, but you have to have the service tag (which means climbing under desks sometimes) and then even when you know what pc you have, you have to pick each driver out from 30 choices. No way an average home user could figure that out. My worst pc award goes to Compaq, ever since I formatted a PIII 550 and compaq tech support told me they don't support win98, only the version that's embedded with crap on their recovery cd. All the other OEM's accept retail versions of windows, but not compaq. (At least I don't know any others) Compaq's head engineers should be put on a raft with no oars and sent out to sea where they can't hurt anyone. My $.02

------------------
    Everyone is entitled to make an occasional mistake..................except for skydivers of course.

chip35

Talking

Compaqal (compatibility and quality are lacking) for their mounting of their hard drives in the orientation that is guaranteed to shorten the lifespan (as verified by a talk with Seagate tech support).
    Any home shopping network computer (you never would believe the jokers that build those things).
    ANYTHING with a JTS hard drive (guaranteed to fail in one month or your money back).

------------------
    What's the differance between 'twisted' and 'torqued' anyways?

raptorGT

HARD DRIVES ========================
    Best: Western Digital 40, 60, 80, and 100 Gb 7200 RPM, ATA 100 drives.
    Worst:
    3) Seagate
    2) Maxtor
    1) Fujitsu - Electronic components actually fell off this drive during shipment!

CD-ROMs ============================
    Best: Creative Labs 52x with 20x ECC DAE.
    Worst:
    1) Acer 52x - With a DAE of 8x.

MOTHERBOARDS =======================
    Best: SoyoTek K7VIA with KX/T133 chipset.
    Worst:
    3) Shuttle AE23 - Toasted my Celeron II 600
    2) Gigabyte - Toasted my Celeron 800E
    1) Asus CUV4X-C - Toasted my Pentium III 800EB

PERIPHERALS ========================
    Best: Lexmark Z83 - Excellent, multifunctional peripherals are worth EVERY cent.
    Worst:
    2) Hewlett Packard DeskJet 350 - Doesn't load paper.
    1) Canon BJC-85 - Are _those_ the ink cartridges???

SOFTWARE ===========================
    4) Red Faction - Game is too short and easy.
    3) AShampoo Music Player/Ripper - Adware sucks.
    2) Windows 98 - Anyone else who's blown VFAT.VXD would understand.
    1) MacOS - Point, click, point, click, point, click...

------------------
    SoyoTek K7VIA with AMD Athlon 750TT (7.5x133 - Iced by GlobalWin), 1024Mb PC133, 2x30Gb WD HDs, 50x CD, 8x4x32 Philips, 100Mb Netgear NIC, nVidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb DDR, SB Live! X-Gamer, Kenwood 200W amp with twin 4-way 15" speakers, powered 10", and 2x3.5" satellites with an NEC Multisync XP21 CRT, MS Intellimouse Explorer Pro, steel-framed IBM click-touch keyboard.

The Iceman

Hewlett Packard Computers - I actually fixed one with a 77 watt power supply in it (Pentium 2), Yes, thats right SEVENTY SEVEN. Where do you even buy a 77 watt ATX power supply?!?!

Western Digital Hard Drives - Being in the market for a hard drive, it seems to me such a cruel joke that the company that has been responsible for a nearly laughable failure rate is also the fastest ATA drive on the market. When we do our yearly order of 400 machines or so, we usually specify no Western Digital. This year we put in a supplement order of 40 machines, and forgot to specify no Western Digital. They stuck us with WD, and over half have failed in the first 6 months! Truly an evil hard drive.

And I can't believe that nobody has mentioned D-Link NICs yet!

Jpbtennisman

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by The Iceman:
    Hewlett Packard Computers - I actually fixed one with a 77 watt power supply in it (Pentium 2), Yes, thats right SEVENTY SEVEN. Where do you even buy a 77 watt ATX power supply?!?!</font>

Oh my god..I have an old Pentium 2, it has a 200w, which is at least suitable for a machine of the time...gateway too..

It must have been custom made, maybe 77 was the absolute bare minimum they could get the machine to boot with.

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">And I can't believe that nobody has mentioned D-Link NICs yet![/b]</font>
    I have one of these for my lappy, it's one of the ones where it has no dongles, it's really great..

Unfortunately my lappy is in the shop waaaaah I guess I'll have to slave away at my 1.6ghz desktop

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited October 09, 2001).]

computron99

Ok, Here's my take at it:
    Also anything I mention is based on HOME PC's and not servers.

Worst PC: HP (with Dell, Gateway, Compaq, eMachine right behind it.) With the "Big Guys" I found that customer's jump to buy these cheap - in expensive PC's. My stand is that when they start selling PC's while trying to cut costs and make a buck, the quality declines. I will say that I would would only recommed the high-end Dells if any. I didn't mention Pack-Bell
    because 1. There not sold in the US anymore and 2. The ones that are still around are so old the modem, sound card and Cdrom's have been replaced and drivers are not an issue.

Motherboard:
    Worst = PCChips
    My fav: MSI-6309's
    CDROM:
    Worst = Creative 48x/52x that keep ejecting Cd's.
    My Fav: Sony 48x

HardDrive:
    Worst:
    Any JTS
    Any Quantum (that are still Quantums)
    Maxtors that look like Quantums
    My Fav's: WD 20/30/40 Seagate 10

Modem:
    Worst:
    Best Data $10.99US crap.
    My fav: Phoebemicro 56K Pci, Zoom ISA, USR Hardware

Printers: (InkJet)
    Worst:
    Anything Canon
    My Fav: HP 840c and HP 930c

Printers: (Laser)
    Worst:
    Hp 1100 series
    My Fav HP 1200 series

------------------
    "The labor's free, it's your attitude that costs $45.00 an hour."

Acer......hands down!

Ever try to locate drivers? Now there's a challenge!

------------------
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

senectus - kbgm

Lightbulb

Compaq Laptops!
    For some bizzare reason the h/d and other components are IBM... MAkes you wonder why anyone would buy anthing but IBM (For workstations, not games/multimedia, oh and not the home editions {Acer, Aptiva, i series lappies} They suck...)

------------------
    Eradicating the world of id10t5 since 1974

Wingsfan

[quote]Originally posted by LPetrarca:
    <strong>Acer......hands down!

Ever try to locate drivers? Now there's a challenge!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. I can't believe it hasn't been brought up several times.

They made this crappy unit that was an all-inclusive. (monitor and and case were one unit)

It featured a Cyrix 5x86 processor The BIOS would only allow a 2gb HD (non-flashable) and NO expansion slots!!

The customer paid $1,800 for this piece of doo-doo (a few years ago) AND was told it was a Pentium!

Exclamation

Rambus It should be called Subram. I remember the days of 2 sticks of memory. Intel and Rambus ,anyway to suck your wallet dry.
    Ok brain you don't want to do this , and I don't want to do this, so let's just get it done, and I'll go back to drowning you with beer.

PC chips mobo
    S3 virge video
    2x internal Panasonic CD-ROM
    Soundblaster 16 ISA sound
    Maxtor HDD
    Any Winmodem
    YCL NIC
    Serial Mouse
    AT Keyboard
    Windows 95a
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.