[RESOLVED] ?th annual Worst Computer Awards
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] ?th annual Worst Computer Awards

10of40

Talking ?th annual Worst Computer Awards

Yes, it's time again for the WORST COMPUTER Awards! Keep it above P75s, thank you very much,

Thumbs down

There have been lots of threads about the worst computer components. But if you're talking off-the shelf PC's, then without a doubt, The Patriot Hot Wheels and Barbie PC's win that prize hands down. These things sucked so bad, they made eMachines look good. Tiny proprietary tower cases (in the themes of Hot Wheels and Barbie) which were impossible to expand upon, the buggiest chipset around (Intel 810), driver support is non existent, the company is bankrupt, and lots of families shelled out thousands of Christmas money on pre-orders which they completely lost when Patriot went belly-up.

Can anybody beat that?

Okay, gotta put in my $.02 since I normally do not on these threads.

PcChips Mobos
    SIS Chipsets
    Integrated Video and Sound
    Any Winmodem
    Emachines PSU
    Apparently from a few posts over a Kensington Mouse
    A bigfoot Hard Drive
    Cyrix Processor or the original celly with no cache
    Any RAM that will work on a PcChips Mobo that will run a cyrix proc has to suck by now so throw on whatever you want.
    A 2X External Parallel CD-Rom
    An Iomega External 100MB Zip Drive

That's my list for now.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

MacGyver will be hard to beat on an individual PC! Monitors: Argus. Had to return 4 in less than 6 months.
    Modems: See aplustech.
    Removable Drive: SyQuest SyJet 1.5 gig SCSI. Went through 2 of them (POS). Note: I'm still using a SyQuest EzFlyer 230 4 years not a hitch.
    Motherboards: ARGHHH! aka PCChips and their incarnations!
    Sound Card: cheap PCI Sound Cards that customers insist to perform like SB or Turtle Beach!
    Software: Norton Crash Guard!
    And my nomination for worse PC Packard Bell. Oye they were worse than toe jam!!!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

10of40

Wink

Aye, these are insane. You're forgetting about the Kmart Bluelight PCs, though. I found this 486 (Socket 3) board that had 4 PCI slots, 1 ISA, and 2 VESA ISA slots.. It had onboard IDE, but not FDD. Get this: The IDE, there is a primary and secondary IDE channel. However, the BIOS (AMI) only allowed for setting of the Master and Slave on the Primary IDE channel!

Packrat

Packard Bells (no contest)
    PCCHIPS Motherboards(even though I have had one for 6 months wihtout a hitch, (Old 233mhz model that my friend had for 4 years with no problems, Must have gotten lucky)
    Compaq Ipaqs (we have these at work and the p166 cheapos run faster)
    Cyrix CPU (even the logo says it right, you could have gotten a good cpu but you got a
    "CYRIX INSTEAD" or IDT Winchips
    Oh and anything that has SIS (Satan In System) chipset.
    Anything made by TECHMEDIA.
    Zip Drives (I have one mine got the click of death and iomega replaced, but I feel they are about useless, media is too expensive and the compatability thing..just get a cd burner and be done with it.

------------------
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

[This message has been edited by Packrat (edited September 07, 2001).]

mpiper

Any of you seen the eMachines eMonster? P3 1Ghz and 128 mb ram (all soldered to mobo) they are selling this POS for over 1000.00 no monitor. Also, I have had good luck with the i810 chipset. They finally released good video drivers, and it is decent.

------------------
    what? tree or server can't be found? SHUT UP AND REBOOT!!!!

Asterchild

Not to thread crap, but MPiper, what exactly is soldered to the MB? I've not heard of any company as of recent soldering anything to the MB unless it's a laptop. There are two sticks of 64MB in those PIII eMachine eMonsters, not soldered on.

--Aster

------------------
    Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes of less, or we commit Seppuku.

--www.ninjaburger.com--

Jpbtennisman

Hey cool..this is like my PC from Hell topic!

Cyrix 700mhz CPU soldered to mobo
    Amptron board
    Mini orb with crap HS
    Creative 8x DVD
    Generic case
    "value line" hard drive at best buy
    Deer PSU 235w
    serial mouse
    really loud keyboard
    realtek NIC
    64MB Hyundai PC66 RAM soldered to mobo
    28.8 Winmodem
    speakers,crap ones
    13 inch monitor .31 DPI
    Windows 2000

Windows 2000 does not suck at all..but imagine how it'll run on a system with 64MB PC66 RAM and a crap HD..etc =)

All jumpers soldered. Paint barney purple, remove all overclocking features if any exist, and the PCB must be custom ordered to be covered in pink happy faces. Runs AOL and Netzero on the 28.8 winmodem, both at the same time.

Ships with the entire unregisted collection of RealNetworks software, BonziBuddy, and ICQ, and the Add/Remove programs feature is disabled.

Beat That..

------------------
    I am JungleMan.

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited September 09, 2001).]

bohr

Cool

And the Award for the Worst Computer goes tooooooo...... <drum roll as the envelope is opened>..... Hewlitt Packard!!!!!

for their overtaking buyout of Compaq!!!!!!!

Now, 2 crap computer companies will merge together to form as one helluva super crap computer company!!!!!!

------------------
    If Hannibal were a pc support tech,
    He would invite the stupid user over for supper.
    "Tonight, I shall feast on stupid user's brain" ffffttffftftftfftft

Garak

I SECOND THAT BOHR!!!!

------------------
    If You Cant Beat It, Bin It....

Just A Thought

arokh

AT formfactor anyone?

I can't stand the cluster of cables underneath the power supply, and they are just cramped anyway.

/|rokh

mahdi

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Jpbtennisman:
    Hey cool..this is like my PC from Hell topic! (scroll up for the rest)</font>
    LOL!! Where in the world did you find this thing!? Mr. Rogers Garage sale??!

That would make a killer Linux server
    I bet you can't get into the BIOS to set a CD in the boot order

------------------
    You don't like it, you don't need it. I take what I want, I take what I need
    Sundog - Too Far Gone

Sergeant Fury

HP

For welding the gahdamned El Cheapo AGP card into the mobo and not even supplying an open AGP slot.

Growl...

Spork

I hate to break it to you all, but CompPCs are by far THE worst. These things are built with bottom-of-the-line parts. I know this for a fact because I used to work for a CompUSA tech shop and I would advise customers NOT to buy them due to their low quality parts.

------------------
    "Damn the man. Save the Empire" Mark - Empire Records