Thread: [RESOLVED] The rapid falling of memory prices

CREEPINGDEATH

Post The rapid falling of memory prices

for 256mb of pc-133 (generic) ram its now $90
    What are your thoughts on this?

--------------------
    ~If you can't walk the walk don't even try to talk the talk~

[This message has been edited by CREEPINGDEATH (edited November 13, 2000).]

I remember a few years ago when 16MB 72pin RAM cost over $650.00... Let's see that would make 128MB cost $5200.00

RAM price has always been a pain.

Anybody remember what happened last year, after the earthquake in Taiwan?

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I feel the newsletter below has a lot of information and links regarding memory testing, identification etc..., of which I've seen several questions about recently on the forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The " SIMMTESTER.COM" Newsletter - VOL.2 - ISSUE 20010
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We welcome you to this issue of the "Simmtester.com" Memory Newsletter !

DDR is Coming !

DDR Memory, a new memory technology had received a lot of interest in June this year at the Computex show in Taipei when Acer Lab displayed the industry first DDR motherboard. Recently another sample DDR motherboards and DDR memory modules were shown at the recent VIA Technology Forum 2000 held again in Taipei last month..VIA Technology was apparently trying to create a roadshow similar to Intel's Developer Forum, which has become a significant technology convention for launching the latest PC technology.

DocMemory attended the two day session in Taipei and the conference ended with a clear signal that the entire PC industry are getting ready to embrace DDR Memory Technology.If you are interested in the VTF conference presentation materials you can download all the slide presented by VIA, AMD, Micron, AMI2...etc from : www.simmtester.com/PAGE/news/showpubnews.asp?num=43

CST offers total DDR test solution!
    Free Comdex Fall 2000 Ticket!!

The electronics industry is once again gearing up to the most anticipated event of the year - Comdex Fall 2000, November 13-17 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Please join us at the world's most advanced technological event. Go to
    www.simmtester.com/page/contact/tradeshows1.asp
    to register for a free passes to the show, compliments of CST!

With over 17 years of experience in the SIMM/DIMM/memory testing industry, CST provides a comprehensive line of testers and handlers for service professionals, integrators, and high volume SIMM/DIMM/computer manufacturers. Stop by and visit our booth (L4917)

This year, CST features the industry’s first advanced DDR DIMM memory tester, RoboFlex automatic DDR DIMM handler, DDR SPD programmer and DDR DIMM calibration clock reference board as total DDR solution

CST DocMemory diagnostic software is now further enhanced to support DDR testing and is available for free download. Come visit CST booth for a free Memory Diagnostic software and a FREE drawing to win the New DocMem RAM test card ($200 value)

Take advantage of this event to see the latest technology for the memory industry, and see how CST’s line of testers can provide you the total DDR test solution for all your memory needs.

*Article for the Month *

"How to identify a PC133 Memory Module"
    This article is an easy to read on the nitty gritty details about how to identify a PC-133 Compliant memory module.
    (MUST READ MATERIAL) www.simmtester.com/PAGE/news/showpubnews.asp?num=45

Memory FAQ Question of the Month

How do I visually identify different type of memory modules ?

Come find a quick reference on how to identify a memory module !!

URL : www.simmtester.com/PAGE/news/showpubnews.asp?num=44

* Lastest News *

Intel CEO admits adopting Rambus was a major mistake www.simmtester.com/page/news/shownews.asp?num 2155

Nec unveils Notebook using Transmeta Crusoe Processor www.simmtester.com/page/news/shownews.asp?num 2148

Acer unveils Super Thin Notebook www.simmtester.com/page/news/shownews.asp?num=2153

* Free Memory Price Watch

Great News !! Great News !!

Bench Mark PC133 64MB DIMM price is still dropping. The price should be between $45-$50 this the right time to upgrade your memory for Win2000 ?
    www.simmtester.com/PAGE/memory/memprice.asp

* Downloads- Wow! the latest Version of DocMemory RAM Diagnostic Software is ready for you FREE (Version 1.45a). This version expands the coverage to all known motherboards. Rated - 4 Star by Zdnet
    www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

* Help Us Determine the Next Generation Processor for Notebooks !!

Cast your vote on your next purchase of your preferred choice of Microprocessor.

Participate in our "Quick Vote" and pick the winner.

www.simmtester.com/page/poll/pollresult2.asp?pollname=Notebook

Need to Download the latest DDR Specs?

* Download the latest "184pin DDR DIMM Specification" Including pin-outs and detail design information on the next generation memory module.
    www.simmtester.com/PAGE/memory/advancedspecs.asp

* Free 64 MB SDRAM Lucky Draw www.simmtester.com/page/contest2.asp

** We encourage your feedback if you have any question regarding
    memory testing issues or any technical complication
    from browsing our website , please email to our memory expert at : [email protected]

Free Subscription :
    www.simmtester.com/page/news/subscribe.asp

shawnMt

Hey RGK01 - I get that newsletter too and it does have some good stuff in it!

------------------
    Paint your old laptop!

3fingersalute

RAM is just amazing, in our Point-of-Sale software, I recently was looking through one of our larger customer's history files, and seen where we sold them a pair of 16MB DIMMS for $625.00 EACH in 1995, and then in 1998, we sold them 2 of the EXACT same DIMM's (same part# and all) for $30.00 each.

RAM reminds me of oil with the way it changes prices so drastically and quickly!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Microsoft will crash on the way there!!!

[This message has been edited by 3fingersalute (edited November 04, 2000).]

personally i think in about 2 weeks or so the price is gonna skyrocket (christmas/supply&demand)...thats just me. id stock up right now though.

------------------
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

Red face

l read an interesting article on Slashdot last week (which l cant seem to find now), abotu Linux being able to use "bad" DIMMs...so l figure l'll check this out, get a bucket of 'faulty' memory, from local tech shops, and have a 9 computer-each-with-4GB-RAM linux super-network in about a week.

But before that...l'll check out the Crucial sale, before the Holiday jack-up happens.
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Originally posted by BreakWindows:
    l read an interesting article on Slashdot last week (which l cant seem to find now), abotu Linux being able to use "bad" DIMMs...so l figure l'll check this out, get a bucket of 'faulty' memory, from local tech shops, and have a 9 computer-each-with-4GB-RAM linux super-network in about a week.

But before that...l'll check out the Crucial sale, before the Holiday jack-up happens.
    You'll have to let me know how you make out on that. Also good luck on getting back up after playting with Beastie.

------------------
    .·°Danrak°·.
    The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better" so I installed Linux
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

LORE

I agree that it will jump up again soon. It is way to much like oil. You never know what your gonna pay tomorow. The general rule I tell people is, a buck a meg is good. If you pay more than that it is probably to much and to wait a week or so, anything less than that is a great deal. It helps them put it in perspective.

------------------
    We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.

Hey BreakWindows that article is here.... http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...33&mode=thread

[This message has been edited by TheLow1 (edited November 06, 2000).]

Originally posted by skut:
    personally i think in about 2 weeks or so the price is gonna skyrocket (christmas/supply&demand)...thats just me. id stock up right now though.

A couple of our suppliers have said the same thing.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

MVanDyken

To play the devil's advocate:

The ecomomy has been flat for the past 10 months. Computer sales from the big manufacturers are down (4th qu. sales extimates). My guess is that there is alot of cheap, generic oem ram out there that was not purchased by the majors since they are already overstocked for xmas. And you know what dismal sales occur in Jan/Feb...thru tax time!!!

And add this: RDram production is ramping.

Prediction: $35/128mg for 8ns generic ram by mid January, $29/128mg in Feb...$25 by summer.

of course i could be wrong...but i will wait to buy.

iateyourcat

man... i can see 4 gigs of memory in my server yet!