[RESOLVED] Memory Upgrade = Downgrade

Thread: [RESOLVED] Memory Upgrade = Downgrade

SiCkNuT

Question Memory Upgrade = Downgrade

The other day I fitted a 64MB RAM module to a customer's PC to upgrade them from 64MB to 128MB. Everything appeared to work fine, the RAM was accepted by the machine, but once windows was loaded the PC ran like a dog!! I removed the RAM again and the machine worked OK again. I ran benchamrks on the PC with and without the RAM and for some strange reason it ran at about 1/3 of the speed when the extra RAM was fitted. Perhaps it was a faulty module, perhaps incompatible, but I resolved the issue in the end by fitting a completely different module. Any thoughts on this anyone? Happened to anyone else before?

------------------
    [ i N S A N i T Y 2 0 0 0 ]

DesertEagle

If it is a TX chipset for a pentium, I have seen them slow way down with more than 64 megs because the chipset only caches the first 64 megs of ram. Make sure they are the same type and speed of ram too. It sounds obvious but I see alot of people do that

Sometimes they are slightly different speeds, and the bios can't seperate them. I have seen this and corrected it by going in the bios and setting the memory speeds down, if possible. (award bios usually lets you) Other wise you can sometimes look at the chips on the ram and determine nanosecond speed and sometimes latency. Then put the slower module in slot0. And sometimes you just have to do what you did or replace both modules with matching sticks.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.