[RESOLVED] Tips, pats on the backs, etc...

Thread: [RESOLVED] Tips, pats on the backs, etc...

SimonSez

Cool Tips, pats on the backs, etc...

I have been a long time fan of this site for a few years, but have never done posts or anything... so I have decided to start. I was wondering if any of you all have ever recieved a large amount of money as a tip or a nice recommendation from a customer to your boss... I once recieved $500 for delivering this guys computer, setting it up, and then setting up his ISP for him.... what I was being paid to do!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SimonSez:
    I have been a long time fan of this site for a few years, but have never done posts or anything... so I have decided to start. I was wondering if any of you all have ever recieved a large amount of money as a tip or a nice recommendation from a customer to your boss... I once recieved $500 for delivering this guys computer, setting it up, and then setting up his ISP for him.... what I was being paid to do!</font>
    I got to "keep the change" on a couple jobs that I fixed quickly. Christmas time was good because some of our clients sent stuff to the shop for me.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

b_fleury

I get the odd $20 here or $30 there, it really makes you feel good to know that these people appreciate you, and it makes up for the other 99% of your customers

Wish I could find a $500 tip...WOW!

Last fall I recovered the data off a client's dead hard drive and he was so happy with my work and the bill that he paid me an extra $1000!!!!! I never look at the check when it's handed me so it was quite a shock when I got home!
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I've got about a year's supply of whisky (for me, not a heavy drinker ... *S*) and 2 months worth of beer tins sitting in my kitchen ... and that's just from the Christmas prezzies from pleased customers. My local pub may go bust with me not there till March !
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Grendel

A bunch of "damaged" CD's and Books from a Music store that I bailed out of a massive failure. Sure it cost the next to nothing but it would have been about $200 for me. An elderly couple that I used to do service for gave me $20 a bottle of wine and an X-Mas card in my home town, That made my year, just to know that my work was appreciated.

evilcabbage

I had a guy come to me once, He couldnt get his new video card to instal properly (if Poida is reading this, it was Chris Pratt .. overclocking nut..) At first I didnt know it was overclocked (as I had told him off for doing it before) and after 20 minutes, I checked the BIOS, and double checked the type of CPU he had.. after clocking his CPU back to 400, instead of the 600 he was trying, it installed fine, and ran great.

I scored 2 cartons of eggs (he had chickens)and some strongbow cider for my trouble.

A few other clients came in at cirstmas time, with some bottles of wine and such .. it was always nice to feel appreciated.

The best was back in 1996. The company I was working for at the time upgraded this guy's system to a Pentium 133 with 64 MB of RAM, but it was still thrashing while running Windows 95. Of course, he had a lot of extra apps, plus well over a thousand fonts installed. I was cleaning up his system and pretty much optimizing it until about 2:00 AM. He couldn't have anyone work on it until after 7 PM, see, because he had about 300 faxes he had to send out that night. Anyway, I didn't have a car at the time, and I was fully expecting to call a taxi, but he wouldn't hear of it. He drove me to a hotel (we were about an hour from my house), paid for a night's stay, then gave me $50 "for breakfast." He also wrote a nice letter and sent it to my boss. Too bad I left that job about a week later. Kept in touch with the guy, though.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

Jvaguy

I fixed a guys laptop hard drive and all his stuff (he had a huge meeting the next day).. and because i fixed it he took me to a nfl game and anything i wanted, of course i didnt ask for much (but beer) being up close to the players and all the beer i wanted was enuff to make my job that year ... whats cool now he is a good friend of mine.

TheoneDKS

Wink

Windows crashed on my friends PC, needed an reinstall. He had over 200 MP3s, original artwork and about 400 megs of his own music.
    I saved his info he was so happy he took me and my girlfriend out to the most expensive place in town.
    Thats what I call appreciation!
    PS the next weekend I sent him to buy a ZIP drive.

[This message has been edited by TheoneDKS (edited January 15, 2001).]

iateyourcat

i had two beautiful women bring me a pizza. it was a mellow mushroom pizza.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

evilcabbage

I would have taken the two beautiful women...

------------------
    I like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iateyourcat:
    i had two beautiful women bring me a pizza. it was a mellow mushroom pizza.

</font>
    WOW! I would be stoked by beautiful women and Mellow Shroom too.

For those of you wondering what is so damn hot about Mellow Mushroom, <a href=http://www.mellowmushroom.com/home.html>
    Visit their web page</a>

Best pizza I've ever had.

There calzone rocks too

Grider.

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited January 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited January 15, 2001).]

DaOnly123Kid

i had a customer give me a ibm 75gxp because he "didn't need that much" he then settled for a buch of scsi drives i striped for him