[RESOLVED] 3dfx is gone
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] 3dfx is gone

Jvaguy

Post 3dfx is gone

now i own nvidia tnt2 but man 3dfx is gone now ... well its now owned by nvidia heres the press release
    http://www.nvidia.com/news.nsf/121500.html

the market may rise in price again ...whos left making cards now geez

[This message has been edited by Jvaguy (edited December 15, 2000).]

Unhappy

Hey cool !!!!!

Now ATI will be Nvidia's main competition. I am sure that they will bringing lots more technology at low prices....

Long Live ATI !!!!
    Hehehe, I made a funny !!!

Seriously though, I loved 3Dfx cards, I am sorry to see them go

------------------
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    Initiative + Technology = Initech

What huh 3dfx gone, wimper snort, I wonder if there will be anymore Voodoo cards produced and will there be driver support for us Voodoo owners
    I looked at those Radeon cards and I need a bank loan to get one , I like ATI since they are Canadian but the Radeon can stay on the shelf at the price they want ( 32 meg )
    I hope Nvidia keeps the price low

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Ebra

Ok so nvida has bought out 3dfx this could be a bad thing and it could be a good thing nvida if it is smart will countiune to use the voodoo chipset and make it better than it is now. That would be a smart thing to do since some people will want the voodoo chipset over ATI Rage chipset and the other chipsets

just my 2 cents

Cool

i almost always chose the 3dfx boards, especially ones like the banshee(yea yea, flame on)
    didnt matter what game you played it would always run. although sometimes it needed a little patchin.

CREEPINGDEATH

Unhappy

sniff* they served me well through the years sad to see them go.

------------------
    ~Clowns scare me~

cerebralcortex

Keep Prices Low??? Have you seen the prices on the 64MB DDR Geforce2's, over 400.00 bucks. That aint low!
    I havent bought 3dfx since they went and commited suicide by becoming the only producers of voodoo products. Then they go and aquire S3 who was no competition at all. I started buying nvidia then and I knew this was going to happen. No biggie

[This message has been edited by cerebralcortex (edited December 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by cerebralcortex (edited December 17, 2000).]

pga

Originally posted by Ebra:
    Ok so nvida has bought out 3dfx this could be a bad thing and it could be a good thing nvida if it is smart will countiune to use the voodoo chipset and make it better than it is now. That would be a smart thing to do since some people will want the voodoo chipset over ATI Rage chipset and the other chipsets

just my 2 cents

yes... but they might continue the name and ride on it.... without making any improvements, in order to soak $$ from their investment.... then bury it.

Soul

Wink

i think nvidia starting to be like microsoft.... conquering the all major display card manufacturing. is like nvidia vs ATi

Sauce

Angry

Man ! There goes any chance that a game will run on 3d cards now....

Trachei

Originally posted by cerebralcortex:
    [B]Keep Prices Low??? Have you seen the prices on the 64MB DDR Geforce2's, over 400.00 bucks. That aint low!
    I havent bought 3dfx since they went and commited suicide by becoming the only producers of voodoo products. Then they go and aquire S3 who was no competition at all. I started buying nvidia then and I knew this was going to happen. No biggie[B]
    not sure where u shop but over at pricewatch i can pick up a Geforce 2 64MB DDR for $255

maybe u need to stop shopping at CompUSA

cerebralcortex

Red face

Sorry but your wrong, best price on Geforce2 DDR ultra on pricewatch 375.00 , best price on Buy.com 418.95. Please point me to where I can buy a Geforce2 DDR 64MB Ultra for 255.00 I need to get a couple!

Deanodriver

They were the 3d card kings a couple of years ago. I use nvidia, but it doesn't run some of my older 3d games (such as GTA) unless I run it in regular 2d mode . I should get a 2nd comp with the good old Voodoo 2.

Trachei

Originally posted by cerebralcortex:
    Sorry but your wrong, best price on Geforce2 DDR ultra on pricewatch 375.00 , best price on Buy.com 418.95. Please point me to where I can buy a Geforce2 DDR 64MB Ultra for 255.00 I need to get a couple!
    you did not state "ultra" in your above post. and no crap you cant get a ultra below 400. everyone knows that.

Riteous

Unhappy

Man, this totally sucks. I really respected 3DFX for their solid products and great support. They've had their setbacks from time to time but for the most part they've been a solid company who produced the most compatible cards in the industry.
    They did with Nvidia what Intel did with AMD. They underestimated their competition and lost a bit of ground. Then they continued the downward spiral with some major setbacks. But unlike Intel, 3DFX doesn't seem to have had what it took to bounce back.
    I'm afraid to know what will happen to the vidcard industry, now that Nvidia's main competition has been swallowed up.

3DFX will be missed by me and will live on in my PC history books for the greatness that they brought into this industry!!!!!

------------------
    Why won't this protection guy leave me alone? And what idiot made him a General anyway?!?

[This message has been edited by Riteous (edited December 17, 2000).]