Longest you ever ran a cpu with no fan - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Longest you ever ran a cpu with no fan

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Yup............shave your head
    But I don't have any on my head ...

my P3 450 domain server has no fan - hooting great heatsink, but no fan.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    my P3 450 domain server has no fan - hooting great heatsink, but no fan.

We just chunked a load of Gateway PIII/450's with that same layout.

Just a little off topic, but I left my personal laptop on inside the carrying case overnight.
    Dumbass me forgot I changed the setting to “stay on” when the lid was closed. Talk about hot, (both me and my laptop). Ran the battery completely down, (which was fully charged), and the fan actually burned out. The bottom casing near the cpu melted somewhat and so did the LCD. Cooked most of the other components as well. I was able to salvage the memory and amazingly the hard drive came out of the inferno undamaged. I now use it as an external USB drive with my new laptop.

Yes, I put myself on the top 10 list of Darwin candidates for 2005.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Just a little off topic, but I left my personal laptop on inside the carrying case overnight.
    Dumbass me forgot I changed the setting to “stay on” when the lid was closed. Talk about hot, (both me and my laptop). Ran the battery completely down, (which was fully charged), and the fan actually burned out. The bottom casing near the cpu melted somewhat and so did the LCD. Cooked most of the other components as well. I was able to salvage the memory and amazingly the hard drive came out of the inferno undamaged. I now use it as an external USB drive with my new laptop.

I threw mine in the bag once while it was finishing the shutdown sequence. For whatever reasone (i forget why now, i think something was still open and asking for confirmation to close), it hung up on shutdown and ran in my laptop bag for hours until i pulled it back out. It was so hot to touch it dang near burnt me, but nothing got damaged luckily!

cpu W no fan

If I'm not in error, I believe that the Intel procs had a throttle back/shut down capability which worked pretty well. I fried an AMD Thunderbird 1400 in about 5 seconds. Those did run hot! The Intel procs did have good overheat protection in the P4's. By the way, my last Intel proc was a a Pentium 120. Amd ever since.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon

Heheh, I did something similar when I first got my laptop - I put dos 6.22, Windows 3.11, Windows 98, NT4 Server, 2k Server, 2k Pro, XP pro on it just to see if I could. Popped it in the case while it was still running dos and wondered why the case was getting hot while it was leant against my leg.... I forgot DOS doesn't hibernate Fortunately it just wasn't fatal, but it did have me wondering what the heck to say to the nice support guys about how a 1 week old centrino lappie got cooked!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yikes
    I've had a Tecra S1 running in the case accidentally for several hours, and that never caused any sort of overheating like you described. CPU temp was about 65, but as far as I can tell its suffered no ill effects whatsoever!

-Leezer-