PC Remote Control and Video Card

Thread: PC Remote Control and Video Card

Post PC Remote Control and Video Card

I am looking for a PC remote control that will control my Creative DVD player and Winamp (or other suitable Media player). I am also looking for an AGP video card with hardware DVD decompression and S-Video output. Any help would be apprec.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

jrwilson

ELSA cards are excellent and resonabley priced...as for the remote...i use a $10 PB FastMedia ir remote in conjunction with WinLIRC and IRAssistant....works great!!
    why do you need the dvd encoding on board? i believe that the creative dxr3 meets your specs...thats what i use in conjunction w/ a matrox g400max dual head video card...this setup allows me to watch dvds and surf or run winamp while playing diablo2(req. second monitor)

[This message has been edited by jrwilson (edited January 17, 2001).]

My problem is with the PB FastMedia Remote - I was using it for a time and was not satisfied with it's reliability and preformance. Other options would be appreciated.

------------------

Auric

im thinking of buying a PB Fastmedia remote
    anybody have any suggetsions on it?

The new sbLive! Platnum 5.1 come with a remote and a drive bay controll center with an IR port. kinda pricy but very cool....it also comes with about $300 worth of games (full versions)

jrwilson

what kind of problems? perhaps i can help. I have had great success with the fastmedia remote.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyberhh:
    My problem is with the PB FastMedia Remote - I was using it for a time and was not satisfied with it's reliability and preformance. Other options would be appreciated.

</font>

jrwilson

download WinLIRC http://home.jtan.com/~jim/winlirc/
    download IRAssistant
    http://www.antenet.fi/irassistant/

load the Winlirc prog first and follow the directions given. once the LIRC driver is configured you can install the IRAssistant prog and mab the specific keys needed...if done properly you can do anything with the remote that you can do w/ the keyboard and a mouse...including run macros to fetch email, watch tv, dvds, winamp...anything
    also...they have pre-configured .cfg files to make the process easier
    <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Auric:
    im thinking of buying a PB Fastmedia remote
    anybody have any suggetsions on it?

</font>

forgot to mention the price...i paid $7.50+ shipping for the whole shebang...there are other options but none that i have found to be as cost effective. you could also get the much more expensive IRman and use any universal remote.

I was not running that software at the time - I had a rebuild of the PB software and a WinAMP driver that didn't work very well - I will have to try it again.
    Thanks

------------------

jrwilson

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyberhh:
    I was not running that software at the time - I had a rebuild of the PB software and a WinAMP driver that didn't work very well - I will have to try it again.
    Thanks

</font>
    forgot to mention that...
    DO NOT USE THE PBKEY OR FMEDIA software that is included w/ the remote...they are both total crap..if you have already installed the fmedia software, you may have some trouble removing it....i had to search the registry to find and delete all related keys

Auric

Fastmedia remote is $12 on ebay + $5 shipping..

is it worth the purchase?

------------------
    [Mouse has moved please restart computer for changes to take effect]

jrwilson

it was for me

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Auric:
    Fastmedia remote is $12 on ebay + $5 shipping..

is it worth the purchase?

</font>
    No. If you must spend money, get something new. Remember, those PackardBell remotes don't always work with NT. And it will only control your computer. Check this thin out:
    http://www.x10.com/products/x10_mk19a.htm

It's a computer remote...I verified with them that it works with Win2K, and it's UNIVERSAL...meaning it can also do the TV< VCR, Cable Box, whatever.

For video-outing with SVideo, can't go wrong with a Leadtek, Asus, or MSI GeForce2MX based video card.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

Auric

Thanks

im gonna look into ordering one through work, i don't like buying stuff online..hehehe

i meant to meantion that I have an Asus Geforce V6600 Deluxe video card, and i use it to ouput to my tv to watch dvd movies.. works great, has svideo out, and svideo in
    as well as composite out,
    and an adapter to go from svideo to composite for the input

------------------
    [Mouse has moved please restart computer for changes to take effect]

MAYHEM

I had a Creative Infra2400 CD-ROM a few yrs ago, it came with a remote that had a "Mouse Mode" I could run the ccomputer from across the room. was disappointed that they didn't continue the line. Need for speed is the only reason I'm not still using it, only 18x.

------------------
    Make sure you get your Whole head in front of the shotgun... Thank you for calling.