Customer Pains
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Customer Pains

Post Customer Pains

Please tell me what to do. Sold a computer to a customer about 18 months ago. Customer calls 6 months later with problems. House call and fix problems. Customer calls a few months later. Problems have returned. Replace case, motherboard and memory. OK for a few months. Problems return. House call and fix. Problems return. Replace motherboard, memory, sound, video. Give new warranty. Customer calls today. System wont boot. Wants all her money back or at least most of it. First time in 17 years I have replaced system twice with problems returning. I will be replacing floppy, cpu and memory tomorrow. Any ideas???

Skatman

Um,... what kinda of problems? If it was an error that she is causing either by tinkering with the machine or with a program that she is running i say that its her fault, if you feel like it is still something with the computer i would replace her unit with an newer model and take her older model into the shop and see what is the exact thing causing the error, you can always sell the old one from her as a refurbished unit and im sure she will be happy with the newer model for awhile.

This is jsut one thing that i could suggest i may be wrong but after all you have done this is what i would do (depending on your shops policy).

[This message has been edited by Skatman (edited March 21, 2001).]

She country or city folk? Reason I ask is power fluxes could cause problems. These are more noticable in the country, or small towns where transformers aren't quite as good as larger centres are.
    18 months is a tad old for a full refund. What we would do in such a situation would be offer to replace the system entirely, but not offer a refund. Suppliers also only carry a 30 day DOA policy, so you'd be stuck with the system.
    You could build her an entirely new system, and RMA the parts from the old one, and sell it as a referb/demo system once the parts are replaced.
    I would NOT give a full refund, though.

------------------
    ***the Beast
    - I only came for the platypus soup
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

Skatman

beast you copy cat hehe

Problem is that the system locks occassionally and over time it will not boot at all. All parts are Aopen/Acer.
    Aopen AX63Pro Board
    Apacer pc-133 memory
    Acer Video
    US Robotics modem
    Acer AW320 SOund
    Aopen HX45A Case
    Aopen Keyboard
    Aopen Mouse
    Aopen Monitor
    Intel Celeron 500 MHz CPU

[This message has been edited by APCSI (edited March 21, 2001).]

pumpkinhead77

I would have to agree, if it was caused by power etc. then I would not fix it I would tell her thats just tough luck. Ya know they do sell units to fix this kinda thing (with the power) But, if it is faulty parts then I would offer a newer system for all of the problems that occcured. You may be able to keep a customer and a better reputation that way. It only takes a couple pissed off people to give you a bad rep.

------------------
    If it's not broken....Fix it!

GirlGeek

APSCI,
    I'm going through this same thing right now with a customer. We're currently testing her outlets for proper grounds as I've replaced way too many items in a year and a half for this to be normal. 4 modems, 2 motherboards, 2 hd's, 2 cpu's etc etc..you get the picture. I'm convinced one of her three boys is tinkering inside the box since this last time I had a screw floating around inside and the case cover was on crooked. She refuses to think her boys could have done anything so I've since stuck on a warranty sticker that reads if it's removed, warranty is null and void. I've charged her parts but not labor out of good will. I can't have her bad mouthing me but I'm with you, it's a frusterating position to be in and telling her that she's the only one with problems like this doesn't make her feel any better.
    Good luck and if I come up with a magic solution I'll let you know.

CREEPINGDEATH

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GirlGeek:
    APSCI,
    I'm going through this same thing right now with a customer. We're currently testing her outlets for proper grounds as I've replaced way too many items in a year and a half for this to be normal. 4 modems, 2 motherboards, 2 hd's, 2 cpu's etc etc..you get the picture. I'm convinced one of her three boys is tinkering inside the box since this last time I had a screw floating around inside and the case cover was on crooked. She refuses to think her boys could have done anything so I've since stuck on a warranty sticker that reads if it's removed, warranty is null and void. I've charged her parts but not labor out of good will. I can't have her bad mouthing me but I'm with you, it's a frusterating position to be in and telling her that she's the only one with problems like this doesn't make her feel any better.
    Good luck and if I come up with a magic solution I'll let you know.
    </font>
    might want to get a custom stciker saying " If you remove this I will F**king kill you !!"

I think that might solve the problem.

------------------
    ( Elmer Fudd ) Be verwy verwy quiet , I'm huntin customers.

GirlGeek

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CREEPINGDEATH:
    [B] might want to get a custom stciker saying " If you remove this I will F**king kill you !!"

I think that might solve the problem.

Ooooooh.........I like it!!!!!

CobraTekMax

My rule of thumb is that if I have to replace the same part more than once (unless it's a part that I've verified to be a problem in other systems we've built), I have my customer get a professional electrical contractor to check the wiring, or the phone company to check the grounds on the phone line in the case of modems.

If they refuse, I then tell them that we'll be happy to cover the cost of the diagnosis if nothing is found wrong. That usually warms them up to the idea, but if they're still hard-headed about it, I inform them that I will do the labor for free, but they're paying for the part.

Since the wiring in my area is so terrible, more often that not, the electrician finds something wrong.

------------------
    I bet you're a real threat in the mucktuck-eating contest!

I agree with the posters that said build her a new one. And do a fresh load of windows and eliminate any possible issues. Under no circumstance is she entitled to her money back. Think cars. If you buy a car and have problems within the warranty period you do not get all your money back. Do what you have to, to correct the problem but do not refund her money. I wish I could buy a computer then get all my money back after it is obsolete. She might be trying to scam you!

------------------
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking!

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

I would have to agree with the system replacement. Customers are alot happier when they get a nice new system. One thing that I would suggest though, SELL A UPS WITH THE NEW MACHINE!!!!!!

------------------
    If it aint broke......use a bigger hammer

You should have a good look at the power. Explain to the customer that warranty doesn't cover damages caused by lighting strikes or faulty power plugs.

And yes. A UPS is a good thought!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." - Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Definitely no refund or rebate! As a goodwill gesture, replace the entire system one more time. Priot to that though, explain that you can't replace it until all the potential power and/or grounding problems have been identified and/or addressed accordingly.

Explain that you can't continue to provide warranty service without this being done. 18 months is a LONG time to keep working for the bubble. Especially on "ancient" technology!
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

Kyr0n

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by APCSI:
    Please tell me what to do. Sold a computer to a customer about 18 months ago. Customer calls 6 months later with problems. House call and fix problems. Customer calls a few months later. Problems have returned. Replace case, motherboard and memory. OK for a few months. Problems return. House call and fix. Problems return. Replace motherboard, memory, sound, video. Give new warranty. Customer calls today. System wont boot. Wants all her money back or at least most of it. First time in 17 years I have replaced system twice with problems returning. I will be replacing floppy, cpu and memory tomorrow. Any ideas???</font>
    Replace the user

------------------
    If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then lets get wasted and have the time of our lives.