It gave me a chuckle

Thread: It gave me a chuckle

Cool It gave me a chuckle

I am in a "superstore" last night picking up a cable. In the next aisle is a "salesman" showing a customer comes laptops. I am listening (of course) to his pitch. This guy tells the customer that ANY laptop is NOT upgradable with the exception of adding a memory chip. He then tells the customer that the hard drive can't even be upgraded because - get this - it is soldered in.

Soldered in?

------------------
    Got a customer problem? Remember, the old proverb "walk a mile in another man's shoes"

At least you will be a mile away when they start complaining.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

Wink

They're 'SALESMEN'

Mostly on 'COMMISION'

And they would tell you it would solve 'world hunger', if it would get the sale.

But don't most of them talk utter 'BS'. Even at the company I work for I listen to the 'SALESMEN' (and 'SALESWOMEN', don't want to be sexist) just for the laugh.

"yeah, it's fully upgradable" (for at least 2 months anyway)

Keep me in a job anyway !

Martin
    <a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank">[email protected]</a>

GirlGeek

I listened to a woman question a salesman at a "superstore" in regards to her sound card not working at times. She said she couldn't hear system sounds but could hear her modem dial out (duuhh). Needless to say the salesman was baffled and said he couldn't help her as that didn't make any sense that she could hear her modem.
    *sigh*

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

AFJuvat

Its always fun to interject on these salespeople. Try butting in, and correcting them, you will usually find that their customer is hanging on your every word, and the salesperson is standing there with a rather blank look on his face, nodding like an idiot.

Sometimes it is the little things that keep me going.

AFJuvat

Auric

LOL!

gotta love that, I was in a local Radio Shack store once and the sales guy was asking ME questions about a burner he wanted to purchase from the store. And i was there as a customer picking up a cheapo modem cable cause i needed it asap.

------------------
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

3fingersalute

I love to go into RadioShack and play a dumb consumer and ask questions like, "So is a Duron is better than a Western Digital?"

------------------
    I have no recollection of any set of words, that when grouped together, form a favorite saying!

SNAFU

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3fingersalute:
    I love to go into RadioShack and play a dumb consumer and ask questions like, "So is a Duron is better than a Western Digital?"

</font>
    LOL...then ask if the computer comes with the spiffy cup-holder-at-the-push-of-a-button gismo that comes out from the front!

------------------
    *cough*cough*...that's supposed to happen!

Jvaguy

and of course the hard drive being 1.44mb and is removeable .. i love it when you say the hard drive is a floppy

------------------
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7 all good children go to heaven

Mustang

I have to give the local Radio Shack here (Detroit Mi Area) credit
    They refer customers to me for repairs and if they have any questions about things they call me for advice.

------------------
    "May the force be with you ." Obi-Wan Kenobi

[This message has been edited by Mustang (edited February 06, 2001).]

I still think the best is Circuit City. I had a friend working there and meet some of the computer sales people. I think the ratio was about 1 smart sales guy for every 5. Very funny to listen to them.

------------------
    .·°Danrak°·.
    I possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

StevePorter

Red face

Does anyone know the difference between a computer salesperson and a used car salesperson? No? Used car salespeople know when they're lying...

Most computer salespeople don't even know that they don't know. The first line of an old Persian proverb is applicable here:

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool, shun him;
    He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him.
    He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep, wake him.
    He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise, follow him.

It's a rare computer store that has even one person with a modicum of computer knowledge. It's a sad, sad world...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

jimmr13

Cool

Speeking of Circit City I was at Sis's last sat. an her printer would not print so she ask and I did, out of ink no problem ! Drove 4 blocks the Circit City, Wow more Sales people then Customers any way I found the Replacement Ink Cartrages, And this wiz bang Salesman Ask can I help you? Well I got this color cartrage for an H/P 693 But you don't have any Black Cartrages!Him: " Well you only need the one Cartrage for that printer See it's color and it prints black too! " Me: Thank's As I handed him the Cartrage Left and drove 3 more Blocks to Best Buy got both Black and Color Cartrages With out a Salesman asking if I need help. Point of advice: Mr. Wiz Bang Salesman cut back on the after shave it's eating your brain cells!

------------------
    If all else fails read the directions !

MacGyver

Amen to that jimmr, I hate it when a salesman comes to my office and all I can smell is cologne/aftershave. I guess if you want to sell something to a salesman, try cologne or aftershave!

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

A DoG NaMeD SpoT

Angry

much to my dissapointment.. after talking with a 'salesperson' (a really sto0pid one at that) from a national 'chain store' I found out that their salespeeps are 'booksmart' meaning.. they are to memorize the spec sheets on all the products in their department that are worth a damn.
    which is good if you want to know the physical size, weight, and specs of anything you want to buy. but the real questions.. they can't answer. I like to pick on them by asking them if certain printers will work with certain computers/paper/desks/etc... just to see the frustration...

------------------
    "What's an ID10T error?"
    "Nevermind... just bring it in..."

DaOnly123Kid

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3fingersalute:

</font>
    no but i hear that a plextor is better than a GeForce 2 ultra, but who needs all that processing power anyway(lol)

------------------
    "life sucks....deal with it"