[RESOLVED] Computer on or not?? That is the question - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer on or not?? That is the question

bohr

Depends on the user and the computer.
    If the computer is being used for something like a server, then 24/7/365, with the odd downtime for maintenance, upgrades, etc.
    If homeowners are using it, then it's up to them. I usually tell them to turn it during the day and turn it off at night or whenever no one is around for hours or days at a time.
    I find that having a computer running all the time can cost more than turning it off. I don't mean about saving money on power ( sometimes you can save some money with today's skyrocketing power bills), but money on new parts like cooling fans, power supplies, sometimes new boards when the power supplies fail because of heat buildup and siezed cooling fans. Especially when the person isn't home and smells smoke when he/she gets back that is coming from a fried computer. No, we tell the irate customer, it isn't warranty because the p.s. fan has seized because of too much dust and cigarette smoke build up in your $$*&##*!!! computer!!!!! Maybe getting it %&*(&$#(* cleaned once in while would have kept it going longer ya #$%#%@ piece of crap customer!!! RRRRRR!!!!!
    See my point????

Snowbound1

My NT 4.0 Server box is on 24/7... had the power supply fan go last year, but I just shut it down, replaced the fan in it (not really that tough to do, but it was my box so I chanced it... wouldn't do it for a customers box though) and it gets a reboot about every 6 months or so. My ME and 98SE boxs at home, however are off at night (their OS's aren't stable enough to leave on 24/7) even though they have 5 and 6 fans respectively each!

------------------
    Things are never as bad as they seem... they're worse!!!

[This message has been edited by Snowbound1 (edited February 07, 2001).]

Talking

24/7/365
    Or until Windows Locks up and requres a restart.

Tech San

Lightbulb

As a college student my studies were of physics and computer science. As a physics major I can speak from the laws of the elements that says "Where there is friction, there will be decay." With this in mind the goal would be to maintain the least amount of friction as possible.

The best results is to maintain a constant temperature with the least amount of energy being used. This is where Energy Star Compliant devices focused thier attention.

If you use your computer all the time, you might find it better to keep you computer on and when not using it, let is sleep where it is using its power saving features. This will keep the unit in a warm state for the largest portion of its life.

If you use your computer once or twice a week, then you might consider turning it off until you plan on using it. This way the unit stays in a cool state for most of its life.

So there realy is no solid "Yes" or "No" to the question. It is really up to the user and how often he plans to use his unit.

------------------
    If you can't figure it out, bag it.

Exclamation

Although my Personal System has A UPS (with Spike protection), if i leave the computer more than an Hour i shut it off.

I find it Ecological, Cheaper, and the computer is Kept better

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

ZiPPO

Thumbs up

My Win2000 server runs 24/7. And even if the fuses blow, my UPS will keep it running. The other 3 WinME's only when I need them.

------------------
    .. File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

kamuelajedi

I leave both of my systems going 24/7 for 2 years now, As long as I hear the fans running, I am in good shape. Besides my tower is open and where I am in hawaii it stays relativly cools most of the time.

------------------
    Theres' a differance between scratching your *** and tearing a hole in it :-)

dvinyard

Lightbulb

I'm over aprox 200 computers nationwide and 24/7 is the thing to stopping calls about startup problems. It calls for replacing chip, and power fans more often but stops other more serious issues (ie. drives).
    Home 24/7 and reboot 1 every 2 weeks.
    Monitors off every night. disable all power saving in bios and windows.

I shut mine off at night- since I run two-three at any given time, turning them off at night makes a noticable difference in my utility bill!

Also, from my experience, fans going bad make more noise when they are cold as compared to been running for a while. Better chances of noticing a dead fan.

Just my $0.02

------------------
    Say what?
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

Thumbs up

Turn both monitors off and leave CPU on. Restarting is more wear on Power Supply, Motherboard, and Hard Drives.

Kendall

I POSTED THIS RESPONCE WITH ONLY WITH THE HOME PC" IN-MIND. THIS DOESNT APPLY TO SERVERS.

Turn it OFF after use. Why you say?

1. Power supply & CPU fans, in most cases, always running. Generally, most fans are ball bearing fans and will inadvertently wear out faster if the system is left running 24/7.

2. There is a steady flow of air flowing through your system while on, and with this flow comes dust and dirt particles that can very quickly build up inside your pc causing many heat generating chipsets as well as other ICs to retain more heat due to the soft blanket of lint.

3. Most systems are unprotected, lets face it, a lot of people neglect to protect their systems with surge suppressors, battery backups or the like from damaging power spikes, lightning storms, and brownouts. If your system is off, even unprotected, still wouldn’t affect as much hardware and especially your SOFTWARE than if your system was left on all the time. A system losing its power, while either in use by the end user, or just sitting idle running a screen saver, does in fact have files open, in use, by the OS, which it can and will damage if this event takes place.

if any of you have read some of my other posts, I tend to joke alot but I do take this topic seriously. It has costed me money in the past for these reasons.

By the way, I notice alot of you like to leave your system on. I will also assume that alot of you have cable modems that stay connected to the internet even when not in use.(I know the ones around here do.) Your more likely to get your pc HACKED by a arsehole if left on 24/7 too.
    I dont mean ALL of you, but alot of other factors come into play that affect the possibility. Firewalls, OS security patches updated frequently, Updated Virus Scan software, etc. etc.....
    ------------------
    "The Customer Is Always Right" -In a world Parallel to Ours.

[This message has been edited by Kendall (edited February 08, 2001).]

Coffee_Head

Exclamation

I think it just depends on the user. Personally I will leave my pc on 24/7. However there are those of you who feel it is wise to shut down. I say "to each his own" I really dont think it matters much.

Your request is not unlike your lower intestine. Stinky and full of danger.

RoboTech

As long as the monitor has good power-off management, who cares about the rest?

The typical PC uses little electricity.

Robo

rjwilke

At work, on at 0830 and off and 1700. At home, the gateway pc stays on 24/7 but does require an occasional reboot, about once a week. The networked pc is off when not in use.

RoboTech

On the East Coast, we've had our problems as well.

My normally $100/month Gas Bill is running $300/month, and I've turned down the damned thermostat 6 degree's from last years settings!

I can't help but feel there are 4, maybe 5, human beings in the country that are getting filthy stinking rich over this.

Robo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by parning:
    I have no choice. I live in Southern California, which has been hard-hit by the power shortages caused by our stupid politicians and their de-regulation fad.

Not only do I work in a greyed-out cave at work because most of the lights are off, we are forced to turn our computers off when we leave.

At home, the story is the same. I watch the tiny television because it sucks up a lot less power than my big one. The computer is rarely used, as well.

Despite my power conservation, my bill was STILL way over $200! OUCH!

</font>