Windows 2000 Pro

Thread: Windows 2000 Pro

Post Windows 2000 Pro

Any idea why WIN2000 PRO will automatically restart after leaving the system set for awhile? I notice it when I leave the system, I'll come back & the screensaver is running, and then later I'll look at it & it's restarting

To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Thumbs up

I agree, i have seen systems running win2k reset themselves as the HD powers down, seems to do it with a nice big clunck!

Smor99

It could also be a symptom of failing RAM or CPU. Systems are not made to reboot by themselves. This is usually caused by a failure of one of the main components. I have seen it when systems are overclocked or Ram is flaky.

Exclamation

When I installed Win2000 Pro, I also had spontanious reboots and dozens of blue screen stop conditions. After about 10 hours of troubleshooting, I found my new P3 processor I had just purchased and installed was flakey. Put another processor in and all has been just fine, no crashes or reboots for about a month now. :-)

Your system may not support ACPI / APM 100% .

try to disable Power Management and ACPI in the BIOS and then set APM support in Win2k.

Here are a couple of ideas:

- your power supply could be bad... or any piece of hardware between your computer and the wall (i.e. power cable, UPS, surge protector)

- right-click on My Computer, then click on Properties. Click the Advanced tab, then the Startup and Recovery button. Make sure that the 'Automatically Reboot' check box is unchecked under the System Failure section. You might just be getting a blue screen of death that you never see because the system restarts automatically. The default setting in Win2k is to automagically reboot on a BSOD.

Steve
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"